• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

How to Improve Windows?

NeoMayhem    0
lhost,Jun 27 2003, 14:16] there is one thing that should be improved:

they should delete all their source code for explorer.exe and build it from SCRATCH!

the explorer shell is just the biggest piece of shyt i have ever seen!

You obviously haven't seen Apple's Finder

Panthers Finder is sweet, they dont need to do anything to it and it is still a beta :p

I agree that explorer is buggy, and overall crap :(

malebolgia    0

What I would like to see is a more customizable GUI that lets you change icons, change a few colors here and there, but overall, you don't get to change how stuff looks. Basically an environment such as X's customizable user interface. Oh yeah high color icons would be a nice touch.

AshMan    0
I see what your saying, but someone like me loves total control over their own machine, something about me being locked out of my program files directory bothers me. It feels like I can't even admin my own box. Besides, there's a file in my Windows folder that I need to edit, but guess what, locked out. I am a tweaker, and having total and free access is VERY important. This MIGHT work for a novice, or someone new (or dumb) to computers, but to the rest of us, I don't see that OS being installed on my machine or anyone else's.

I agree with you. I think MS should have an option at the very beginning in the installation of the OS that asks:

Are you a:

A) Professional/Power user?

B) Moron/Newbie/Don't have a clue/What is a computer/ex-Mac user?

If the answer is A then all options are available to us, with nothing hidden and have full access to everything. And anyone answering to B will have the Windows version that you can use with oven gloves.

Redestium    1
I agree with you. I think MS should have an option at the very beginning in the installation of the OS that asks:

Are you a:

A) Professional/Power user?

B) Moron/Newbie/Don't have a clue/What is a computer/ex-Mac user?

If the answer is A then all options are available to us, with nothing hidden and have full access to everything. And anyone answering to B will have the Windows version that you can use with oven gloves.

:laugh: Nice one. (Y)

Asmo    0
I don't see why there has to be a registry in Longhorn, databases don't have a registry as such and you can search for what ever very quick, with Longhorn having an SQL based Filesystem could the registry disappear for good ?

I want add / remove to work properly, when I say delete something do NOT leave any remnants of the program behind at all.

Here is a tip with add/remove which MOST people don't do.

When you install a program, don't run the setup.exe or autorun off the cd, go to add/remove (most people forget about the ADD part of this feature) and click on add new programs, then install from there. Sometimes helps alot, if windows knows more about the installation, alot of 3rd party installers are to blame when everything is not removed, not windows.

isus    0

to make windows better, they should start from the bottom and go up... the same way apple did with osx. from os9 to osx was a huge jump, bc it wasn't just a new look smacked on old code, it was new everything, even the base became unix.

i think if windows got rid of all the bloatware too, that would help. there is no way to compare itunes vs. wmp or imovie vs. windows movie maker or whatever that's called...

+John Teacake    454
step 1. Format C:

step 2. ::HULK SMASH!!!::

step 3. www.apple.com

;)

j/k, I have XP and love it. I'd rather have a Mac but I can't afford one.

how are u supposed to browse to apple.com if u have no computer and software. sorry i had to put that in there :whistle:

pHuzi0n    0
I see what your saying, but someone like me loves total control over their own machine, something about me being locked out of my program files directory bothers me. It feels like I can't even admin my own box. Besides, there's a file in my Windows folder that I need to edit, but guess what, locked out. I am a tweaker, and having total and free access is VERY important. This MIGHT work for a novice, or someone new (or dumb) to computers, but to the rest of us, I don't see that OS being installed on my machine or anyone else's.

The people that aren't morons would know that they can just edit the permissions on the directory in order to have whatever type of access they need....

+John Teacake    454
Not having to install anything would be nice, especially after a reformat of the OS.

Make a ghost image. this is more of a user thing because every one has different software configurations even down to the last icon. it would be impossible to build this into an O/S

+John Teacake    454

A better way of finding out what exactly caused an error. an indepth report would be nice :D

syscrash2k    0

MS needs to rewrite windows, much like apple did with osx. This would make windows great, but at present, it sucks :p .

They should just completely rewrite windows, from the ground up. It would be sooooo good :p .

Jason    5
to make windows better, they should start from the bottom and go up...? the same way apple did with osx.? from os9 to osx was a huge jump, bc it wasn't just a new look smacked on old code, it was new everything, even the base became unix.

i think if windows got rid of all the bloatware too, that would help.? there is no way to compare itunes vs. wmp or imovie vs. windows movie maker or whatever that's called...

They did start from the bottom up its called NT, they built a full 32bit OS from scratch and with Windows 2000 (NT5) it virtually was another ground up rebuild from NT4 another huge leap.

There is nothing wrong with NT as in 2000 or XP it is not 9x or based on anything to do with 9x.

Stokkolm    337
to make windows better, they should start from the bottom and go up...? the same way apple did with osx.? from os9 to osx was a huge jump, bc it wasn't just a new look smacked on old code, it was new everything, even the base became unix.

i think if windows got rid of all the bloatware too, that would help.? there is no way to compare itunes vs. wmp or imovie vs. windows movie maker or whatever that's called...

They did start from the bottom up its called NT, they built a full 32bit OS from scratch and with Windows 2000 (NT5) it virtually was another ground up rebuild from NT4 another huge leap.

There is nothing wrong with NT as in 2000 or XP it is not 9x or based on anything to do with 9x.

Yup, this guy knows what he's talking about.

SariN    0

1. Get Rid of registry and those damn .DLL Files

2. Spend more time on Security

3. Get Rid of the Windows Name its OLD

4. Fire Your current programmers(If you havent) because they have done a HORRIBLE JOB

5.Minimize Updates (1 a week is too much)

Jason    5

4. Fire Your current programmers(If you havent) because they have done a HORRIBLE JOB

They are making security better with NGSCB

Windows name is well known it doesn't need marketing, if it needed to be changed it needed to be changed when NT was made as its nothing to do with the 9x range.

Their NT programmers are doing a great job.

I want fixes the day they are available, I don't want a vulnerability longer than needed.

Gweedo    0

They are making security better with NGSCB

Windows name is well known it doesn't need marketing, if it needed to be changed it needed to be changed when NT was made as its nothing to do with the 9x range.

Their NT programmers are doing a great job.

I want fixes the day they are available, I don't want a vulnerability longer than needed.

Agreed. Windows has become a household word and it would be stupid to change something that's so widely known. The only hassle with downloading so many updates is having to reboot. So if not having to reboot is in Longhorn then problem solved, no more hassle.

Guest Beh   
I agree!

I use to lock some of my INI file back in the days of (Win 3.1) and my systems stayed the way set it for years but now with 95-XP, ALL the settings are in the registry and I cant lock anything and other programs can change my prefs. If only there was away to loc a branch on the Registry.

Another feature I would like to see is an option that allows me to password protect a folder.

I think that you can lock branches if you right click and go to permissions you can be able to stop a program from writing there. I did this for windows media player recent file list and i didnt allow it to write to the place it saves the recent files and from now on it never shows any recent files..

Also I did that windows server 2003 as a workstation guide and It is way more responsive than xp and games run faster also so im liking it so far only negative is the fact that their is no system restore.

zhangm    1,390

They need to rethink their GUI concept. The accepted Desktop/Taskbar/Start Menu has served us well, but the design was, in fact, made for the computers of the last century (milennia in fact...). Maybe implement 3D workspaces?

I'm sure many of you can see the flaws in the Taskbar thing already. These days, we can run several (or even dozens) of applications concurrently. The Taskbar design of right now only holds a few efficiently. Then (in Win9x systems), the taskbutton shrinks in size till it displays nothing but an icon. Unfortunately, in ease of use terms, this is horrible. In WinXP systems, we still have shrinkage (sounds dirty, doesn't it?), but now we have this POS grouping, which isn't much better, not to mention, we have no differentiation between the currently active window, and another window in the same group.

The Start Menu used to be fine as a program launcher. Now, its getting terribly crowded. It should be illegal for a program to make half a dozen shortcuts onto the Start Menu, and yet, sometimes, it happens. Again, inefficient to crowd things when the idea is to make them instantly accessible. The OSX Dock idea improved on this area quite a bit, however, as those of you who have used Y'z/O/M docks can see, it is still rather limited in the area of usefulness. The QuickLaunch area in Windows also attempts to provide ease of access, but currently, the OSX dock is easiest to use (and looks a hell of a lot better).

I abhorr the Sidebar that they're trying out with Longhorn right now. Its like...a bigger taskbar. Here's some stuff I'd like to see in Longhorn...

- Animated desktop icons. I wanna see when my mouse is pointing on them.

- Ability to use a format other than BMP for desktop wallpapers. Even when you use jpgs/pngs/gifs right now, they're still converted into BMP before being used.

- Replace the damn Taskbar/Start Menu setup. Maybe have small tabs (which can be positioned by the user) in the workspace. They appear when a program is launched, and correspond to all open windows of that program. When you click the tab, a list (just text, transparent background, god I hate menus...) appears listing all the open window titles. When you mouseover the titles, a small screenshot appears showing the minimized window. This would allow easy visual identification of windows instead of having to read the titles.

- Quit with the scrollbars. They're ugly. Maybe make a small sphere in the window which you could drag around and that would indicate the direction that you want to scroll in. Scrolling too slow? Drag it more in that direction. Its more dynamic, and easily combines XYZ axis's into one control instead of 2 or 3.

- Make it more Mac friendly. Lots of people I know have Macs. If we ever decide to share files, I want them to be usable in an Windows environment.

- Pack it with Moz Firebird instead of IE. :devil:

malebolgia    0

Those are some really cool ideas Relativity_17. Got anymore lol :laugh:

Redestium    1
They need to rethink their GUI concept. The accepted Desktop/Taskbar/Start Menu has served us well, but the design was, in fact, made for the computers of the last century (milennia in fact...). Maybe implement 3D workspaces?

I'm sure many of you can see the flaws in the Taskbar thing already. These days, we can run several (or even dozens) of applications concurrently. The Taskbar design of right now only holds a few efficiently. Then (in Win9x systems), the taskbutton shrinks in size till it displays nothing but an icon. Unfortunately, in ease of use terms, this is horrible. In WinXP systems, we still have shrinkage (sounds dirty, doesn't it?), but now we have this POS grouping, which isn't much better, not to mention, we have no differentiation between the currently active window, and another window in the same group.

The Start Menu used to be fine as a program launcher. Now, its getting terribly crowded. It should be illegal for a program to make half a dozen shortcuts onto the Start Menu, and yet, sometimes, it happens. Again, inefficient to crowd things when the idea is to make them instantly accessible. The OSX Dock idea improved on this area quite a bit, however, as those of you who have used Y'z/O/M docks can see, it is still rather limited in the area of usefulness. The QuickLaunch area in Windows also attempts to provide ease of access, but currently, the OSX dock is easiest to use (and looks a hell of a lot better).

I abhorr the Sidebar that they're trying out with Longhorn right now. Its like...a bigger taskbar. Here's some stuff I'd like to see in Longhorn...

- Animated desktop icons. I wanna see when my mouse is pointing on them.

- Ability to use a format other than BMP for desktop wallpapers. Even when you use jpgs/pngs/gifs right now, they're still converted into BMP before being used.

- Replace the damn Taskbar/Start Menu setup. Maybe have small tabs (which can be positioned by the user) in the workspace. They appear when a program is launched, and correspond to all open windows of that program. When you click the tab, a list (just text, transparent background, god I hate menus...) appears listing all the open window titles. When you mouseover the titles, a small screenshot appears showing the minimized window. This would allow easy visual identification of windows instead of having to read the titles.

- Quit with the scrollbars. They're ugly. Maybe make a small sphere in the window which you could drag around and that would indicate the direction that you want to scroll in. Scrolling too slow? Drag it more in that direction. Its more dynamic, and easily combines XYZ axis's into one control instead of 2 or 3.

- Make it more Mac friendly. Lots of people I know have Macs. If we ever decide to share files, I want them to be usable in an Windows environment.

- Pack it with Moz Firebird instead of IE. :devil:

You mentioned some really good things there, some form of 3d system navigation could really bury the desktop metaphor if done properly. (Y)

Bloozie    1

I dunno... 3D desktop? Sounds to me like somebody's either:

1. Trying to replace going outside. Or...

2. Confused the matrix w/ real life.

C'mon guys... it's a computer. Not a place to live...

Redestium    1
I dunno... 3D desktop? Sounds to me like somebody's either:

1. Trying to replace going outside. Or...

2. Confused the matrix w/ real life.

C'mon guys... it's a computer. Not a place to live...

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

AnalogRival    1
You mentioned some really good things there, some form of 3d system navigation could really bury the desktop metaphor if done properly. (Y)

Can anyone say Microsoft Bob? ;)

I'd love a 3d desktop myself, more room for useless stuff!

Bloozie    1

/me gives up...

Okay guys, lets all SPAM microsoft with the 3Desktop idear... :bounce:

While Microsoft!=Annoyed Do

dim mailObj as new MailMessage

With mailObj

.to="*@microsoft.com"

.from="cyberspace"

.body="We Want a 3Desktop!!!"

.format=text

.SMTP="localhost"

End With

mailObj.Send

Loop

pmh    0

I know its not a place to live, its a place to work and play. It might take a little while to get used to, but a 3d desktop would greatly produce prodoctivity!