• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

How to Improve Windows?

Redestium    1
Can anyone say Microsoft Bob? ;)

I'd love a 3d desktop myself, more room for useless stuff!

Useless to you perhaps but great for other people.

AnalogRival    1
Can anyone say Microsoft Bob? ;)

I'd love a 3d desktop myself, more room for useless stuff!

Useless to you perhaps but great for other people.

Nah, actually I could see it as very useful, I wouldn't need my Quick Launch, or 500 desktop icons. But I'd like to see this shell kinda like DesktopX, or LiteStep. Don't feel like using only MS stuff, or needing some sort of patch to enable 3rd party objects. PNGs for textures, and a SDK for creating 3d objects and scripts.

morganpugh84    1

I would HATE Windows to be based on Linux. Now I like Linux and Unix, and pretty much every other OS there is as I like choice however Windows would just suck if based on Linux, it wouldn't be Windows anymore it would be Lindows, and we all know how crap that is!

I would like an OS which never has to be rebooted for anything, security updates, drivers, new software, etc.

Also I would like to be able to customize it more with official themes support, better system control (basically enhance the group policies). Windows is a pretty good all round OS however it needs to have its current features finished off properly, not implamenting something 50% and saying it is finished (ie the CD Burning Explorer Support introduced in WinXP. I mean why can't it close a cd?!? lol)

Total_CDRW    0

*Steal* some linux code... mabe that might help something.. (unless they already did, and failed).

I wish Explorer wouldnt crash once a week! (well once a week isnt that bad compared to windows 98, 98 just need some TLC when clicking).

XP still cant handle all the programs i like to launch upon startup (i got some mad clicking skills, IE open! Mozilla open! Messenger open! Klipfolio Open! KLite open! Pgp Open!)

They should make a Power Clicker edition! For people who click faster than a 1.33Ghz computer can handle!

malebolgia    0

Anyone have any ideas for a 3D Windows?

Redestium    1
Anyone have any ideas for a 3D Windows?

I have a supposed MS tech demo on a 3D interface... :shifty: :ninja: :whistle: :D

pmh    0

is it a video? could u host it somewhere?

Bizkit    25

I like Windows. I think that the biggest thing that I hate is rebooting after an update, and crappy icons that when you use large icons look like poo. And the fact that I have to modify system files to use visual styles. That is crap.

malebolgia    0
I like Windows. I think that the biggest thing that I hate is rebooting after an update, and crappy icons that when you use large icons look like poo. And the fact that I have to modify system files to use visual styles. That is crap.

Longhorn is going to fix all those wonderful reboots after installed updates.

Redestium    1
is it a video? could u host it somewhere?

It is a video, but I have no place to host it.

pmh    0

thanks!

malebolgia    0

Pretty large video, I'll have to check it out at work. Oh yeah thanks for sharing the link.

lawtai    3
I wish Explorer wouldnt crash once a week! (well once a week isnt that bad compared to windows 98, 98 just need some TLC when clicking).

I've never had explorer crash on me anymore in XP unless it's another program that's causing the problem, not the OS...

zhangm    1,344

The problem with implementing any sort of 3D workspace at our current technological state is that it will always remain a simulation. Physics suggests that a 2D person, looking at a sphere (being a 3D object) will simply preceive it to be a circle. The same thing happens when using a moniter. While we are not 2D people, we are a 3D being looking at a 2D display trying to mimic a 3D environment. 3D being says, "That looks fugly."

Until 3D projections become practical enough for widescale production (yes, they do use 3D holographic projectors these days at some facilities), we'll probably just have to stick with 2D desktops. Disappointing, yes, however, remember that implementing a 3D environment on a 2D display will pretty much destroy efficiency since we can't utilize the X, Y, and Z axis' at once.

Some more features I've thought of include...

- Most versions of Win have the ability to display a thumbnail of a BMP image (this is NOT XP's thumbnail view), much like OSX previews them. Its triggered by a reghack, and is implemented on my computer right now. The problem is, the image is not scaled properly, and so, I end up with squished, scrunched, mangled, mutilated previews of my images. I'd like to either see them remove this useless code bloat, or fix it so it works properly and with all formats, not just BMP.

- Combine Shellstyles and Themes. They are both components to implement changes in the GUI. Why are they seperate? Is it just to annoy theme writers?

- Change default amount of Folder Views that can be saved (currently 400 I think). Currently, C:\Phoenix on my computer, which is the main directory, contains 1.16GB of apps, images, documents, modded shells, etc in 582 folders. I assume there will be roughly equal amounts in Program Files and WINNT. That's a bit more than the alloted 400.

- Support for 32Bit images in the image preview of the Common Tasks section. When I view icons right now, they're ugly as hell with no alphablended shadows. Bill Gates, sloppy coding. Damn sloppy.

- Dynamic Services service. Have at least a rudimentary system where the computer learns which services the user needs to be running. Set the rest to disabled or manual, instead of having them all come online.

- Please...god, don't pack it with Windows Messenger. The damn thing won't go away. I've "removed" it 6 times so far.

- Stop the music! When someone logs off to let you use the computer, and they leave their music playing...

- Better managing of the prefetch folder. It should not require periodic cleaning by the user to maintain decent performance of the computer.

- For those skinners and themers out there, I'd like to have skinnable (and optionally transluscent) context menus. There is a usable DLL file out there which enables this, however, it is buggy at best, and does not skin completely.

Wow, that was a lot of suggestions... Think anyone at MS will listen? :rolleyes:

Gweedo    0

We should compile all these ideas into one big nicely layed out list and find some people at MS to send them to and then bug them until they give us some sort of decent response.

Redestium    1
We should compile all these ideas into one big nicely layed out list and find some people at MS to send them to and then bug them until they give us some sort of decent response.

I bet there are MS employees on this board who should listen up... :shifty: :whistle: :D

morganpugh84    1

The TaskGallery video is from back in 1999 when Windows 2000 was first released. As far as I know soon after that video was made funding was pulled as research showed that people didn't like using the environment. It was too hard to work with and was counter productive.

One thing I want them to change is MAKE THE ICONS CONSISTENT! Why oh why are the Administrator Tools old, fugly icons? Also what makes things worse, by default the Administrator Tools explorer window is set to show the icons as Tiles which stretches the icons making them blocky and fugly(er), it looks very unprofessional. I was very disappointed when I saw this. I know it isn't a major problem but that probably makes it worse. Just makes them look lazy. Also have a look at the "Add Font" window from in the Fonts folder, that is fugly also! :(

I would also like to see better system maintenaince (like the Prefetch folder problem that Relativity_17 mentioned).

Also what is stoping Microsoft from using Vector based icons so that they are scalable? As far as I know this would solver the problem with icons looking fugly when made bigger/smaller. I think Gnome does something like this as the icons look pretty damn nice :)

kuroneko    0

I just came across this topic so probably no one is still subscribed to it, but here I go anyway. I just noticed on the main page a news post by malebolgia (Password Crack for Windows). C|Net talks about how Windows isn't like the Unix and Linux distributions with their passwords.

"The problem with Windows passwords is that they do not include any random information."
So there you go that's one improvement I would like to see in Longhorn. I do wonder how long it would take to program a solution to this?

dL    0

Nice idea.. but can't think of anything now.. I'll definitely contribute if I think of a good one :D

malebolgia    0

I got an idea I'm going to make a list of all the suggestions submitted to this topic (as long as the users don't mind). Then I'm going to write a report detailing what we want and the benefits of it through some research. After I get a brief list of what we want I?ll start up one of those online petitions to get signatures. I think a good goal would be 5,000 though I would rather have mor:D:D. I also would like to include some detailed suggestions on how to improve the next build of IE. So I'll probably just start a thread titled How to Improve IE. Hopefully if I do you guys here will pitch in or we can do it here. What do you think?

malebolgia    0

At least it's out thanks I guess :shifty:.