XNA Game Studio 4.0 FAQ Now Live!

xna_logo.png

gamwindows7phone580.jpg

na game studio 4.0 faqQ: What is XNA Game Studio 4.0?

A: XNA Game Studio 4.0 is a software toolset used by both managed and non-managed developers to create games for Windows Phone 7 Series.

Q: What are the new features of XNA Game Studio 4.0?

A: XNA Game Studio 4.0 is the first toolset for game development on the Windows Phone 7 Series, available in a single download to managed and non-managed developers. This includes the addition of Xbox LIVE APIs that bring popular features from Xbox LIVE to the phone, available to managed developers. All developers have access to the XNA framework, including powerful managed code that helps to create better games faster for Windows Phone 7 Series.

Q: What is the difference between being a managed developer and a non-managed developer?

A: Managed developers are a select group of publishers that Microsoft has partnered with. Managed developers for Windows Phone 7 Series will be able to integrate Xbox LIVE features into their games. Their games will be sold on the Windows® Phone Marketplace and will receive premier placement on the games hub. Non-managed developers will have access to the same development tools, but without Xbox LIVE capabilities. Their games will be sold on the Windows® Phone Marketplace.

Q: When will XNA Game Studio 4.0 be available?

A: XNA Game Studio 4.0 will be available for download in the coming month. Additional information can be found online at the XNA Creators Club Online site at http://creators.xna.com.

Q: Is XNA Game Studio 4.0 a completely managed code platform or can developers use native code?

A: XNA Game Studio 4.0 is a managed code platform, which means that Microsoft has done the back-end work that will save developers time in the coding process. It allows developers to be more productive and focus on gameplay and design.

Q: How easy is it to port a game from Xbox 360, Windows or Zune to Windows Phone 7 Series?

A: XNA Game Studio 4.0 makes it possible for developers to adapt games built on previous versions of XNA Game Studio to work on Windows Phone 7 Series without re-coding the entire game. Also, once a developer has created a Windows Phone 7 Series game, they can use some of that code in XNA Game Studio 3.1 to adapt that game for Xbox 360, Windows or Zune.

Q: How will Xbox LIVE work on Windows Phone 7 Series?

A: For the first time ever, managed developers can bring Xbox LIVE features to a mobile phone. The Windows Phone 7 Series games hub will provide access to a managed portfolio of Xbox LIVE and non-Xbox LIVE games. It also lets users:

• Collect Achievements and build their Gamerscore
  • View Xbox LIVE Leaderboards
  • See their Xbox LIVE Avatar
  • Access Spotlight feeds
  • Add Xbox LIVE friends to their friends list while out on the go
  • Turn-based (asynchronous) multiplayer gaming

My link

I love this new Xbox Live feature set on the phone...but I don't know if I will be able to part with my iPhone. Anyone here create an indie game yet?

It already does, from what I can tell.

http://forums.xna.com/forums/p/38975/226669.aspx

3.1 is only supported by the Zune HD, not the new 4.0

http://gizmodo.com/5489587/zune-hd2-will-be-like-ipod-touch-for-windows-phone-7-read-apps-also-zune-hd-is-for-suckers

It's through MIcrosoft's XNA Game Studio 4.0 that developers get access to the Xbox Live goodness, using Gamer Services APIs. And that's not in the cards for the plain old Zune HD, according to Microsoft's Klucher:

"Development for the Zune and Zune HD will continue to exist in XNA Game Studio 3.1, however, in XNA Game Studio 4.0, we're encouraging you to migrate your games over to the Windows Phone 7 Series platform."

So no 4.0 for Zune HD. The Zune HD2 will have it though.

We don't know the reasons for XNA 4.0 leaving out the ZuneHD at this point. Maybe there's more going on on the hardware side? Maybe demand wasn't there? Maybe the ZuneHD is lacking something on the OS side? Maybe MiX will have all the answers.

We don't know the reasons for XNA 4.0 leaving out the ZuneHD at this point. Maybe there's more going on on the hardware side? Maybe demand wasn't there? Maybe the ZuneHD is lacking something on the OS side? Maybe MiX will have all the answers.

I think its safe to say it's all of the above. I also think resolution has something to do with it, not that bothered just hope we get the HD2 around the launch date.

I love this new Xbox Live feature set on the phone...but I don't know if I will be able to part with my iPhone. Anyone here create an indie game yet?

Working on one, hoping I won't have to scrap much of it with the new revision / iteration.

Working on one, hoping I won't have to scrap much of it with the new revision / iteration.

I doubt you will, you might be able to make it better depending on what they've added to XNA 4.0 compared to 3.1.