• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Zip archive, adding or removing single entry causes corruption

pcunite    2

With Windows 7 x64 Ultimate using a zip archive created using "Send To Compressed Zip Folder" will occasionally, randomly become corrupted if I only add or remove a single item while browsing the zip archive. Anyone else have this happen to them? This problem existed in the evaluation version and I had hope it would be resolved in the release, but it still seems to be present. The issue has some randomness to it, or I know not how to completely replicated the scenario, but it definitely is when I add or remove a single item when say the zip archive has a 100 or more items present in it.

SyntaxError    26

I suggest you quit using the built-in crap and try 7zip or Peazip. Both are freeware. If you prefer a retail app, there's always Winzip and Winrar.

All 4 apps are far superior to the built-in utility.

pcunite    2

I can't disprove your point, but I still want to know why the corruption. It should be fixed.

SyntaxError    26

This is Microsoft we are talking about. They are still patching security holes in XP, which have carried over into Vista and Win7 because they keeping using old code. Many of those same security holes existed in Win98 and probably Win95 as well.

Do you really expect them to fix a minor bug in zip handling in a timely fashion? Maybe with SP1, which is due around September I think, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

I couldn't tell you anything about the corruption issue, as I have never used the built-in zip handling, not even in XP. I always disable it. As a result, I've never had a problem with compressed files becoming corrupted.

Well I did use it for a few days when I first got Win7 RC. I found it clumsy and weak. Right back to WinRAR for me.

fhpuqrgrpgvirzhpujbj    46

This is Microsoft we are talking about. They are still patching security holes in XP, which have carried over into Vista and Win7 because they keeping using old code. Many of those same security holes existed in Win98 and probably Win95 as well.

Do you really expect them to fix a minor bug in zip handling in a timely fashion? Maybe with SP1, which is due around September I think, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

I couldn't tell you anything about the corruption issue, as I have never used the built-in zip handling, not even in XP. I always disable it. As a result, I've never had a problem with compressed files becoming corrupted.

Well I did use it for a few days when I first got Win7 RC. I found it clumsy and weak. Right back to WinRAR for me.

Way to make baseless statements completely irrelevant to the question at hand

Anyway I'm not sure whats wrong, it works fine for me.

soldier1st    40

the issue your having is a bug and for now the only way to fix it is by either: using a 3rd party archive app such as 7zip(free)or winrar(not free) or post on the ms boards about your issue by going here and find the relevent forum http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/w7itpro

SyntaxError    26

Way to make baseless statements completely irrelevant to the question at hand

Just because you don't get what I'm saying, doesn't make it baseless.

At any rate, your comment is a hell of a lot more irrelevant to the topic. Rather hypocritical of you really. Good job at fail.

pcunite    2

I am very familiar with the free zip tools available. I am wanting to know what is up with the built-in zip control in Windows 7. This is a forum where we talk about things. I can talk about free tools all day long and that is fun, like or hate it I want to discuss the Windows 7 zip control.

Please note that the zip file I an dragging and dropping items to has a path that is quite lengthy, I don't know if that is what is causing the issue.

SyntaxError    26

I believe Windows supports a total path length (path+filename) of 255 characters including spaces. That could be your problem, but more than likely it's just another bug.