• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Guy uses a 'Free PS3' fraudulent coupon to get a free PS3

david    51

People at /b/ has been posting a way to make coupons that actually work.

d8c98_freeps3.png

I have a zip of all these coupons which include Free XBOX 360 controllers, free 4000 XBOX points, free 20 packs of Dr. Pepper and so forth, don't intend on using them though :shiftyninja:

• Like 2

S550    87

4chan ftw.

Berserk87    49

LOL.

I've seen these, and I saw that pic, but I never actually looked at what it was.

Yusuf M.    1,362

Don't they scan coupons nowadays?

lemonbear    10

OH MY GOD!

david    51

Don't they scan coupons nowadays?

The bar code system was 'hacked' and you can make your coupons with this program. I have the program, can't figure it out though. So when the cashier scans it, it comes up as a manufacturer coupon with proper discount.

Andrew Lyle    336

I wonder if this is real? Funny if it is.

david    51

Here is another. I blurred out the bar code.

capture.png

PL_    19

Haha crazy. I wonder if this only works in the US.

david    51

I wonder if this is real? Funny if it is.

They are real, I saw a Newport cigarettes coupon at the counter at my local gas station that looks identical to the one I have on my computer. :pinch:

This barcode was hacked to tell the computer that you get $9k off a new Ford. I'm sure no dealership will believe in it though. Just shows you that the barcode system hack can get you anything.

capture.png

Yusuf M.    1,362

Wow... I wonder if they could get in trouble with the police. And by they, I mean anyone that uses these coupons.

Gocom    11

What will the staff think if you go shopping with pile of coupons. "Wait wait, i have that Dr. pepper coupon somewhere here".

Axel    95

Wow... I wonder if they could get in trouble with the police. And by they, I mean anyone that uses these coupons.

Well, yeah - fraud is a pretty serious crime.

Andrew Lyle    336

Ha, so this will work in just about any retail store then.. if this coupon website allows you to print off and redeem anywhere

bjoswald    210

Nobody checks coupons anymore these days. If you've got one, you're as good as gold. Well, mostly. I guess it depends on the place of business and who's working. Angry teenagers with a bitter disposition usually don't give a crap. "Don't ask, don't tell" has an all new meaning.

pasty2k2    5

I expect this is/has been happening for a while and there is nothing they can do about it, except leave it up to the cashier/supervisor to judge each case alone and hope they can spot the dodgy looking attempts.

Interesting though, I hadn't thought about this, it could be highly exploitable in the wrong hands.

carmatic    54

capture.png

over 9000? omg!

david    51

I expect this is/has been happening for a while and there is nothing they can do about it, except leave it up to the cashier/supervisor to judge each case alone and hope they can spot the dodgy looking attempts.

Interesting though, I hadn't thought about this, it could be highly exploitable in the wrong hands.

I'm too scared to try it. I printed one out to see how it looks, and it looks very legit. :pinch:

ienhz    0

Most retailers in North America have been warned about this scam already. I would suggest you NOT attempt it... you will most likely either be arrested or banned from the store (at the very least). The only way I see this working is if you had a completely brain dead cashier working.

david    51

Most retailers in North America have been warned about this scam already. I would suggest you NOT attempt it... you will most likely either be arrested or banned from the store (at the very least). The only way I see this working is if you had a completely brain dead cashier working.

This

iamwhoiam    69

I have a zip of all these coupons which include Free XBOX 360 controllers, free 4000 XBOX points, free 20 packs of Dr. Pepper and so forth, don't intend on using them though :shiftyninja:

Not really "free" considering the sales tax that's paid. Better than full price, but still not free.

They'll get caught at some point.

david    51

Not really "free" considering the sales tax that's paid. Better than full price, but still not free.

They'll get caught at some point.

Same difference. :pinch:

splur    27

Yea, considering WE found out about it via public forum... if this trick isn't dead already it will be very soon.

Yusuf M.    1,362

I'm sure they're aware of it already. Question is, can they prevent it? I imagine retailers would have to re-work their whole bar code system. For now, they'll have to rely on an employee's common sense.

linsook    149

they probably do it when their buddies are working the till.