USB storage coming to Xbox 360?

A nice option. Still I think its pretty much useless unless you have the arcade model, and the save your disk to the USB drive, but still needing the disk in to play is pointless, but I understand its done to prevent piracy so yeah

As has been said, the cap is to keep this and the HDDs from overlapping. As they switch to bigger HDDs, which I think they will (250GB instead of 120GB for example, with bigger ones on LE SKUs) then they'll up the cap as well. Nothing stops you from buying more and more USB sticks and just swapping between them if needs be.

If/when the default hdd size switches from 120GB to 250GB or more then the cap can very well go higher, say 64 per stick. But the idea of a cap is so that you don't just install any external USB HDD. The cap is to limit it to USB sticks. Pretty simple to understand.

I don't get why people are getting so hung up on the 16GB cap.

1st question...of those who don't like the cap, how many of you own 32GB or larger USB pen drives?....

2nd, would you really want all your games installed on a USB drive that you can easily loose/break (i'm sure every1 has lost 1 at some point)

ok you can use usb HDD rather than pen drives but you have to use 3.5" with a power supply, as far as I know 2.5" drives don't work.

3rd i see these more as a backup solution rather than extra storage, again may just be me but I'm no where near using all my storage, all my media is on my pc and just linked to my xbox so i've got a few of my high use games installed to make them faster and some DLC, and saves/profiles etc...

I for one am just happy they're letting us have so much functionality, PS3 can't install games on USB drives.

Phil.

I'm pretty sure the point of this is to replace memory cards, people... not really as an added hard drive (except for the Arcade, I'd assume).

Indeed. If Microsoft didn't cap the USB drive usage capacity, people wouldn't need to buy the overpriced hard drives anymore.

I'm still moderately excited, although its hard to think of things that I would actually use this for, apart from backing up my game saves in the event that my 360 hard drive kicks the bucket (which is entirely possible considering its from 2007).

Maybe this will encourage more developers to add screenshot functions to their games. I remember back in the days of Gran Turismo 4 on the PS2, you could take pictures of your car and drop them on a USB stick. I wouldn't mind seeing modern games do that, since it would beat the hell out of using my cellphone camera to take a picture of the screen ;).

Would playing a game through USB 2.0 actually work that well?

Good point. Then again the HD-DVD drive worked fine over USB 2.0 so I assume this will be fine as well.

2nd, would you really want all your games installed on a USB drive that you can easily loose/break (i'm sure every1 has lost 1 at some point)

ok you can use usb HDD rather than pen drives but you have to use 3.5" with a power supply, as far as I know 2.5" drives don't work.

Why wouldn't it work?

Maybe that's why they've added some USB3.0 slots in the back? One can only hope I suppose.

I would like this but the 16GB cap is gay, would like them to stop selling hard drives altogether, there's no point...

Yes because 16GB is THE prefered storage capacity of homosexuals.

• Like 2

not a bad idea, but too small. i'm now officially looking forward to the 250GB standalone to tide me over for the next couple of years. the 20GB is really not enough anymore, and the 60GB isn't much bigger.

16GB cap? Great, I can install 3 more retail games...

If they're not planning to flinch us further by shipping 250GB drives to the UK, they could at least increase the cap to match what our friends overseas are able to purchase with their Elite packages.

16GB cap? Great, I can install 3 more retail games...

If they're not planning to flinch us further by shipping 250GB drives to the UK, they could at least increase the cap to match what our friends overseas are able to purchase with their Elite packages.

Yet again: this seems to be a replacement for memory cards, not hard drives.

• Like 1

Also if we're gonna be picky I thought it was a 32GB cap?

32GB as in, you can connect 2 16GB USB sticks in the front ports of the 360 and so on I think.

I still think that's a good start imo. And as the HDD sizes go bigger (I don't think 250GB will be the biggest), then they'll expand this higher I'm sure.

4463368603_3f31048232.jpg

293 GB free? .. hmm, must be nice having larger hard drive than the general population of xbox360 users

I just noticed that as well...

4463368603_3f31048232.jpg

293 GB free? .. hmm, must be nice having larger hard drive than the general population of xbox360 users

Hint at even bigger drives coming soon? Now that any 360 owner can get a 250GB that was used for Limited Edition SKUs maybe MS will have a 320 or 400GB drive for future LE bundles?

Hint at even bigger drives coming soon? Now that any 360 owner can get a 250GB that was used for Limited Edition SKUs maybe MS will have a 320 or 400GB drive for future LE bundles?

Either that or he has a devkit box which lets you use any side HD as it is. Kinda makes sense that for it to be on a devkit.

But how much slower is this going to be than using the hard disk? If anyone could even give an estimate that would be good.

It's only limited by the USB2.0 transfer speed compared to the HDD. So, technically, reading off of a USB2.0 flash drive is going to give you at best 480 Mbit/s. I'd say you'd get around, 50 to 55MB/s read/write speeds? Faster than the dvd drive for sure, and probably close to, if not a bit faster, than the HDD.

But how much slower is this going to be than using the hard disk? If anyone could even give an estimate that would be good.

It's only limited by the USB2.0 transfer speed compared to the HDD. So, technically, reading off of a USB2.0 flash drive is going to give you at best 480 Mbit/s. I'd say you'd get around, 50 to 55MB/s read/write speeds? Faster than the dvd drive for sure, and probably close to, if not a bit faster, than the HDD.

Since performance on flash based USB storage is usually better, I highly recommend using flash based instead of spinning media like a hard drive?it?s just going to give you a MUCH better experience.
The system won?t just configure the device once it is connected to the console. You?ll need to head to the memory area in system settings, select your USB Device, and choose from Configure Now (Format and Configure the Full Device), or Customize (you can choose how much memory you want configured for Xbox360 from the free space on the device.)

While any flash drive can be used, we are partnering with SanDisk to release an Xbox 360 branded USB flash drive in May that comes pre-configured out of the box and ready to go. I?ll provide links to those drives once they?re available.

What so it's an Xbox branded usb drive that you've done all that configuration work too?! Gotta make back money from taking MUs off the market anyway and 360 branded drives are multi purpose (I assume) anyway.