USB storage coming to Xbox 360?

It's only limited by the USB2.0 transfer speed compared to the HDD. So, technically, reading off of a USB2.0 flash drive is going to give you at best 480 Mbit/s. I'd say you'd get around, 50 to 55MB/s read/write speeds? Faster than the dvd drive for sure, and probably close to, if not a bit faster, than the HDD.

Right, that sounds good then I will definitely plug in my 16GB USB.

What so it's an Xbox branded usb drive that you've done all that configuration work too?! Gotta make back money from taking MUs off the market anyway and 360 branded drives are multi purpose (I assume) anyway.

The good news is, any USB flash drive is supported. You don't have to buy the MS branded one. Though, I will check out the price and see what it looks like when it's released.

The good news is, any USB flash drive is supported. You don't have to buy the MS branded one. Though, I will check out the price and see what it looks like when it's released.

Oh yeah absolutely, I just feel for the schmucks who buy em.

If I want 16GB of flash memory for my 360 I'ma head over to HUKD.

To be fair though, not ever 16GB flash stick is the same. Different makers use better or cheaper NAND flash in their devices, so it all depends. That's why the 360 will run a performance test on your stick before it formats the space you pick etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Wonderful, Just after I bought a 250GB HDD on Ebay, ****ed up the transfer and lost my Forza 3 gamesave and had to start again :cry:

Can't see me ever needing this now but its a goopd feature to have

It sounds like the update takes 5mins to get? Well on a average cable connection that is. That is pretty big, wonder what else is hidden in there maybe?

Anyone know if it's possible to do a 20gb to 120gb hard drive upgrade with a usb stick? In the hard drive device options i'm seeing a Transfer Content option. I've got a stick and 120gb hard drive ready (didn't come with a transfer kit, too tight to buy one D: ) But i don't want it to go wrong..

I've had a look about, but can't find an answer :(

Anyone know if it's possible to do a 20gb to 120gb hard drive upgrade with a usb stick? In the hard drive device options i'm seeing a Transfer Content option. I've got a stick and 120gb hard drive ready (didn't come with a transfer kit, too tight to buy one D: ) But i don't want it to go wrong..

I've had a look about, but can't find an answer :(

Nope, fraid not. You'll need the transfer kit. Weird that it didn't come with your drive. Mine did when I got the 120Gb HD.

Nope, fraid not. You'll need the transfer kit. Weird that it didn't come with your drive. Mine did when I got the 120Gb HD.

Bah. Oh well. Mmm, was a few months back, the price on them dropped. Some site was selling OEM elite ones. So i got one, knew a cable wouldn't be with it, but was gonna send off that form you can fill in. Did that, never got a reply, checked ebay, disagreed with the price of a transfer kit. So it's just been sitting on my shelf.

Bah. Oh well. Mmm, was a few months back, the price on them dropped. Some site was selling OEM elite ones. So i got one, knew a cable wouldn't be with it, but was gonna send off that form you can fill in. Did that, never got a reply, checked ebay, disagreed with the price of a transfer kit. So it's just been sitting on my shelf.

Unable to edit D:

Found a post on gamefaqs i think, someone claiming they were able to do it. Went ahead and gave it a go. Transferred all to the usb stick, put on the other hard drive, recovered gamertag, transferred everything to the new drive.. so far so good :o

For a non-xbox owner and user.

Does this update mean you could use a 4Gb usb flash drive on an arcade version to use for demos etc?

hmm...temptation to buy one is getting stronger :p

For a non-xbox owner and user.

Does this update mean you could use a 4Gb usb flash drive on an arcade version to use for demos etc?

hmm...temptation to buy one is getting stronger :p

Yup, I have an arcade Xbox 360 and this is good news for me :p My 256MB memory card is almost full... only 50MB left.

@justmike: I think there's a 2 drive limit so 16GB + 16GB per 'stick.'

Before we go any further with this.. I read on XBL that Xbox is going to sell Xbox 360 approved flash sticks. hmmm.. I have a feeling that you can't use any flash stick for this.. :unsure: I dunno.

Before we go any further with this.. I read on XBL that Xbox is going to sell Xbox 360 approved flash sticks. hmmm.. I have a feeling that you can't use any flash stick for this.. :unsure: I dunno.

I believe you can, just they will try and cash in with their overpriced 'Official' USB sticks, much like you could get the Wii SD cards for about 3 times the price.

You mean give everyone a feature then remove it? Can't see that happening the uproar would be massive.

I guess they are forcing you to buy their sticks? but yes.. it would be if this is true.. again I don't know. I read it over once and I was like oh ok.

I guess they are forcing you to buy their sticks? but yes.. it would be if this is true.. again I don't know. I read it over once and I was like oh ok.

My friend and I tried it with one of his Kingston USB drives (don't know the capacity on it, 4 GB I believe) and it worked fine. We even played an MP3 directly off of the stick with no problems. I think those Microsoft branded ones are just "guaranteed" to work, but you can really use almost any USB drive you want.