Common Misconceptions of Evolution

Doesn't really matter what anyone believes in, thats the point; it's a belief, not a fact. Saying that "there are some people who believe in a God" doesn't outright mean evolution is a big misconception, in your words. That doesn't suddenly become fact.

Thats just religion, having loads of people come together and revel in the fact that not ONE of them truly understands it. Its never actually spoken about, its always plastered with scripture and doctrine, which, apparantely, is FACT according to those who read it. Fact, so you can believe it?

Looping logic or what!

Evolution can paint the most lifelike picture so far of our world, how it works and why it works. Unless something new comes along that is somehow even more orderly and structured, so with reason, yet so simple in logic, I'm sticking with Evolution for now!

Exactly. :yes: I feel Evolution answers the most questions, so it has me convinced also.

"Common Misconceptions Of Evolution"

How about the fact that many people believe that we are here by means of a "creator" or as some would say, God? Now wouldn't that mean evolution is a truly BIG misconception? :yes:

What is this "god" you speak of and how does he fit into the scientific method?

A theory is nothing more than a scientific guess. It wouldn't be a theory if it was fact.

How is an educated guess that can be correlated and proven with probability not better than believing in something based upon blind adherence to a set of principles by which you have no understanding? You can argue that both are a construct. True enough. One a science. The other a growth out of philosophy. At it core, a story based down over generations, translated multiple times (with errors) and which relies upon its base framework a number of myths that befell before it.

1). Where is the secondary source (outside of the Bible), which can correlate with certainty the events that are described?

2). How do I see and hear god. How do I know he (or she) is tangible?

3). What about previous religions... how do they fit into the rationale of Christianity (or any House of Abraham) religion?

4). On the matter of evolution, how exactly does a god preclude this system of observed science?

"Common Misconceptions Of Evolution"

How about the fact that many people believe that we are here by means of a "creator" or as some would say, God? Now wouldn't that mean evolution is a truly BIG misconception? :yes:

You are correct in the fact that people "believe" that a creator created the universe. However, those people use "faith" due to the lack of any evidence to support the existence of such creator. That does not entail that Evolution is a misconception. It just means that there are people who are out there who will listen to charismatic preachers instead of discovering the evidence for themselves. It's very apparent that you probably didn't even read my original post. My purpose was to clear up common misconceptions about Evolution. Evolution is a scientific theory that is held up with facts and evidence and is rivaled by no other theory. Evolution is not a misconception. Your statement declaring that Evolution is indeed a misconception shows faulty logic and is wrong in every way. If you believe that Evolution is a misconception then I would hypothesize that you know very little about the theory.

I wonder if Creationist's minds would be blown if they found out theres more scientific evidence for Evolution than there is for Gravity.

I wonder if we'll see "Intelligent hand theory" being suggested.

I wonder if Creationist's minds would be blown if they found out theres more scientific evidence for Evolution than there is for Gravity.

I wonder if we'll see "Intelligent hand theory" being suggested.

Maybe we can get Ray Comfort in here to tell us all about the Banana ;)

One of the more relevant quotes that comes to mind is taken from 'Silent Weapons For Quiet Wars':

"All science is merely a means to an end. The means is knowledge. The end is control. Beyond this remains only one issue: Who will be the beneficiary?"

The goal of the mystery religion has always been to destroy Christianity, because they think it is a bastardization of their religion. They are doing this in multiple ways, evolution is just one piece to the puzzle. They have mislead most religions to worship the mystery religion's deity.

Missed some big ones:

There are many evolutionary sciences.

There can be differences between evolution and mutation, but that depends on the type of evolutionary science in question, and who you ask within that science, and when you ask them.

You generally would not want to lock an evolutionary scientist and a physicist in a room together for long.

One of the more relevant quotes that comes to mind is taken from 'Silent Weapons For Quiet Wars':

"All science is merely a means to an end. The means is knowledge. The end is control. Beyond this remains only one issue: Who will be the beneficiary?"

The goal of the mystery religion has always been to destroy Christianity, because they think it is a bastardization of their religion. They are doing this in multiple ways, evolution is just one piece to the puzzle. They have mislead most religions to worship the mystery religion's deity.

You are extremely mistaken in calling science the "mystery religion". First of all, science is after the answer and not the mystery. Second of all, how is the end control when the means is knowledge? If you are educating yourself, how are you being controlled? You certainly have that backwards. The ignorant are the ones easily controlled?

How about this quote: "Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." -Seneca The Younger (c. 4 B.C. - 65 A.D.)

I'm not going to sit here and tell you that you are brainwashed by religion. This is not the intended purpose of this post. This post was only here to clear up some very common misconceptions that are used in anti-evolution arguments. The only goal for science is to learn the truth. There is no overall "leader" of science so therefore there is no overall "plan" or "goal" of science other than the absolute truth. If a scientist is found to be purposely untruthful or deceitful, that scientist is blacklisted and his career as a scientist is done. Science does not have one book that has to be read and is the overall "handbook". Anything study can be a science as long as it follows the scientific method (so that data is obtained in an objectionable way) and anyone can be a scientist. You can be a Christian scientist, Muslim scientist, ect. There is no conversion necessary.

I can also maintain that science is not attempting to destroy Christianity. The only way science would destroy Christianity is if Christianity is false. I'm not going to say it is or it isn't because it isn't my place. Science seeks the truth and the death of Christianity by science would occur only at the revelation that Christianity is not the truth. This is not just so for Christianity but might occur for any religion that is revealed as false. Science does not single out Christianity nor does it single out religion. It singles out fallacies and anything that is found to be not true.

Evolution is a piece to the puzzle. That puzzle is life. Evolution can be verified through the enormous catalogue of fossils and the fossil record itself. Evolution has be verified through laboratory experiments as well. I'm not just referring to micro-evolution either. Macro-evolutionary experiments have come out successful in their own rights. These experiments have even been conducted in natural settings (such as streams and lakes).

My point and the point of this post is not to contend with or announce that religion is wrong. The point is that there are misconceptions to Evolution and these misconceptions seem to be the basis for anti-evolutionary arguments. It is incorrect to use these points as argument as they are completely false. There is and has never been a theory to rival Evolution by natural selection. I wager you to find a better or equal theory. Also, I invite anyone to make an argument against Evolution and I bet it would be based on a misconception or a fallacy. Make an argument against Evolution and I bet I (or even someone else on this forum) could show you how uninformed of the Evolutionary theory you are. Someone could point out that you are against something you do not even understand which is usually the case for people who are against Evolution.

• Like 2

You are extremely mistaken in calling science the "mystery religion". First of all, science is after the answer and not the mystery. Second of all, how is the end control when the means is knowledge? If you are educating yourself, how are you being controlled? You certainly have that backwards. The ignorant are the ones easily controlled?

I never said the mystery religion was science. Reading comprehension fail...

BTW I'm not religious. That means I'm not religious about science either.

I don't think you'll find many people who are "religious about science". Most people use and trust the scientific method because time and time again it comes up with logical, consistent, reproducible answers.

I have no problem comprehending text when it is comprehensible. I believe it is you who has failed to relay your point.

I have no problem comprehending text when it is comprehensible. I believe it is you who has failed to relay your point.

Actually, you are right, I admit it.

I shouldn't have included the bit about the mystery religion, they are too esoteric. After I re-read what I typed I can understand how you thought I was saying science is the mystery religion. What I meant to say was that the mystery religion is probably the most powerful organization on earth and their main objective is converting the world to their religion through world domination, but this requires the destruction of Christianity because the mystery religion believes Satan is God. They know the Christians will never convert, so there is only one other way to get rid of them...

If this sounds interesting read this, it's the definitive source for information on the mystery religion:

http://www.mediafire.com/?qlmudbmky2y

I shouldn't have included the bit about the mystery religion, they are too esoteric. After I re-read what I typed I can understand how you thought I was saying science is the mystery religion. What I meant to say was that the mystery religion is probably the most powerful organization on earth and their main objective is converting the world to their religion through world domination, but this requires the destruction of Christianity because the mystery religion believes Satan is God. They know the Christians will never convert, so there is only one other way to get rid of them...

If this sounds interesting read this, it's the definitive source for information on the mystery religion:

This is the science section, not Area 51, read the rules of this section before posting.

I will admit I've never heard of this "mystery religion" and I know absolutely nothing about it. What I do know quite a bit about is Evolution and Evolutionary Biology. Regardless of whether this "mystery religion" is using religion as a "...piece to the puzzle...", it is still an unrivalled theory. It still contains mountains of evidence and research behind it. It is not something that just a handful of people study and then say "You can't look at the data. You will just have to trust us." It is a theory that started with Charles Darwin (Although others around the time of Darwin independently discovered the same trend in animal species leading these people to the same conclusion, Darwin was the only one who realised how important this idea was.) and the research has compounded to the theory that it is today. If you think Evolution is a fallacy, go find the research of the E. coli bacteria that I listed in my original post. The founder of Conservapedia demanded that the researcher send him his data. The researcher replied that he would not only send him his data, but he would send any person qualified to handle bacteria actual frozen samples of the generations that exhibited mutation A so that they could recreate the experiment themselves.

but going from that to saying that one species can evolve into an entirely different species is where I have a few questions.

How can you not walk a mile talking one step at a time?

How can you not walk a mile talking one step at a time?

That's a very good analogy. This person says he cannot believe that one species evolved from another (which I address the actuality of it in a previous post) yet it is like saying I can't believe the humans in South America came from the humans in Africa. With time and a lot of perseverance, anything is possible.