Steve Jobs on Organ Transplant Lists

I get asked to be an organ donor every time I renew my license. So they do ask.

As for it being mandatory with opt out:

Since the government can't tell women what to do with their bodies, the government can't tell me what to do with mine.

I get asked to be an organ donor every time I renew my license. So they do ask.

As for it being mandatory with opt out:

Since the government can't tell women what to do with their bodies, the government can't tell me what to do with mine.

your dead so its kinda different

Totally Agree. You don't need your organs when you die so why withhold them. When I die I'd be happy to be ground up for spare parts! It's like a legacy - I'd die but many would live.

Care to elaborate?

Um...because they are mine. Seriously whats to stop doctors from cutting you up just because you go into a coma that they claim is irreversible, when the truth is they just want your organs because they been paid for them. Personally I dont believe in organ donation unless its for a close relative, like child and parent or spouse. I dont feel the soul truely rests until all of the body is dead. I would be willing to let a part of myself live on longer if it was to save my wife or my child if I had children but not for some complete stranger.

Also anyone who doesnt believe this guy didnt just pay for his transplant is freaking nuts. He paid to get moved up on the list so he wouldnt die. Its got nothing to do with him being the sickest. It has everything to do with him being the richest and thats pretty much it.

Also anyone who doesnt believe this guy didnt just pay for his transplant is freaking nuts. He paid to get moved up on the list so he wouldnt die. Its got nothing to do with him being the sickest. It has everything to do with him being the richest and thats pretty much it.

100000% Agree :).

When Steve Jobs received his liver transplant, he was considered "the sickest richest person on the waiting list."

Why wait for them to die? I say we show up at the persons house and demand their organs right then and there - don't be a organ donor unless you mean it!

In all seriousness, i can't wait till we can grow organs (though people may say it's morally wrong), that way we can get rid of these organ donor lists.

I thought buying organs was illegal...

It is.

Sure. It shouldn't be mandatory with an opt-out. It should be voluntarily opt-in. I don't need more bureaucratic bull**** telling me, and I suspect others will agree, what I am and are not going to do.

I don't care which way it works (opt-out vs. opt-in; people do pay attention to these checkboxes), but I do like that idea that if you don't donate, then you shouldn't receive. It's not like you don't have the capacity to donate. You just won't.

I doubt luck had anything to do with it.

I'm pretty sure someone died because of him being bumped over the line.

I'm not saying that amoral and illegal practices don't exist in the medical industry (I'm not that naïve), but if that had been the case, why the hell would he have to go all the way to Tennessee to get a transplant when he could just get bumped up in his own state of California?

As someone mentioned what concerns me is how far would doctors or anyone else go to get my organs.

If everyone was giving his organs away then we probably wouldn't have a multi million (I guess?) illegal market and we wouldn't have to worry if we "die in an accident" or if the doctor did everything he could.

People nowadays are too corrupted to trust them with your life.

If the goverment manages to push the majority of people to the list then I would be really glad to be a donor.

He should see Michael Moore's SICKO, it'll explain him few things about the american health system.

The documentary was heavily biased towards European health care systems. The documentary didn't necessarily make false claims, but it did clearly seem to favor one system over another.