Blurry pictures, out of focus, inacurrate colors = Art?

Oh I agree, blurry works from time to time... Though not on the above shot... And what made me rant was people commenting on facebook saying what a fabulous shot it was!

In the end, and as a photographer I have to say:

Why do you care about the opinion of some facebook members about a picture?

@ Sanctified, maybe that day of the month when I started this thread :p But pretty much my rant was on how anyone calls anything "fantastic art", when from any technical/non-technical (EG. no photography clue) it is utter garbage, but I guess, that would be entering into a whole "what is really art" debacle, not really needed I guess. (lotta use of teh word guess? LOL ) ( And the whole, who am I to be the judge).

I really don't know, I digress, maybe this thread should've been in teh soap box :laugh:

In the end I guess you're right :) I really shouldn't care !

In the end, and as a photographer I have to say:

Why do you care about the opinion of some facebook members about a picture?

Cuz it's really annoying when clueless people call a horrible "image" art.

I dont see how. And I study art.? :p

I just think there are more important things in life that being annoyed by such trivialities.

I just think there are more important things in life that being annoyed by such trivialities.

One could say there's more important things in life than art itself :p

:wub:

Well excuse me mr. I studay Art :p

Isn't that the whole point of art? Learning to appreciate it properly?

where is the picture? :shiftyninja:

Original post and follow ups :)

Point taken, you are free to use your time as you wish.

Isn't that the whole point of art? Learning to appreciate it properly?

Yes, it is. But I couldnt care less how others appreciate it.

Point taken, you are free to use your time as you wish.

Yes, it is. But I couldnt care less how others appreciate it.

But that's just it! What really IS appreciation Per se? Just Blindly Saying "OMG that is TEH BEST shot ever" IMO isn't, BUTT mr. i'm an art student and I'll shove it in your face ( J/k :p ), What would be your take on what really is appreciation and what is just blindly following just because, which is my initial rant to begin with, inappropriate exposure/shutter speed/aperture for X photograph ( OP for reference ) IMO is not "appreciating" just blindly following... Though come to think of it, whilst I was writing this, I think that is more of critiquing rather than appreciating ? Anyway :s If that made any sense... Love to here what you have to say bout it though.

But that's just it! What really IS appreciation Per se???Just Blindly Saying "OMG that is TEH BEST shot ever"??IMO isn't, BUTT mr. i'm an art student and I'll shove it in your face??( J/k :p??), What would be your take on what really is appreciation and what is just blindly following just because, which is my initial rant to begin with, inappropriate exposure/shutter speed/aperture for X??photograph ( OP for reference ) IMO is not "appreciating" just blindly following... Though come to think of it, whilst I was writing this, I think that is more of critiquing rather than appreciating ? Anyway :s If that made any sense... Love to here what you have to say bout it though.

That is not educated art appreciation of course, but people is entitled to enjoy whatever they want and call it art if they please.

Just think about it. Is people required to understand music in order to turn on the radio and enjoy music?

While I agree that people are free to appreciate art as they see fit, I believe that excessive use of the term only dilutes its value when it is actually warranted. The term art can encompass anything which causes an emotion in a person, whether because of its originality, the idea conveyed, beauty, shock, etc. I strongly believe that the pictures posted are more snapshots than photographs.

I have to agree with Draconian. That's one of the major complaints I have with contemporary art these days. I think one should be really privileged to become an artist. Before, it was really difficult to be highly regarded in a society as an artist. Now, almost anybody is/can be with PS.

I just think that being an artist should take more effort than adding a couple of effects on a photo. Some people work real hard to become doctors, lawyer, engineers, or scientists. Artists shouldn't be any different. If you consider yourself to be an artists you have to prove it through a genuine effort you made. My father is an architect, he used to be hobbyist photographer. I noticed that he has least 100 photography books that he used to read from, and it's not even his vocation. I think that in the process of studying such material you'll start being creative and ingenious. Otherwise, what you accomplish is a piece that is not yours, but the computer's (if PS is used) and nature's (conceptual art). You'd thus be a mere medium.

While I agree that people are free to appreciate art as they see fit, I believe that excessive use of the term only dilutes its value when it is actually warranted. The term art can encompass anything which causes an emotion in a person, whether because of its originality, the idea conveyed, beauty, shock, etc. I strongly believe that the pictures posted are more snapshots than photographs.

My point is, no matter what we do, people will use the word art (and philosophy, but that is for another topic) as they will.

And the pictures posted, are crap :)

I have to agree with Draconian. That's one of the major complaints I have with contemporary art these days. I think one should be really privileged to become an artist. Before, it was really difficult to be highly regarded in a society as an artist. Now, almost anybody is/can be with PS.

I dont know any important artist today that is higly regarded by using PS. Do you?

Photographers will always be thousands, including amateurs, hobbyists and imitators. But truly recognized, there are very few.

You all need to understand that every visual object will cause an aesthetic experience. People will say that is art, even if it isnt, even if we dont like it.

That is not educated art appreciation of course, but people is entitled to enjoy whatever they want and call it art if they please.

Just think about it. Is people required to understand music in order to turn on the radio and enjoy music?

Hmmm true, But Enjoying is not the same as understanding music :) Eg. How can you FULLY enjoy a song without a proper sound system, sure I can blast full volume on a crappy set of speakers, but I will probably be missing out on what the producers/artists intended to transmit ? Which is basically what Hani is saying. It's the same with photography eg. for Me one important thing in photography is DETAIL, which the examples I posted lack, then if a photo has detail, i'll look into exposure, composition, Depth of field. Surely I could appreciate a photograph because it simply caught my attention is appreciation I guess, But knowing how and why it caught my attention in the first place is appreciation IMO.

My point is, no matter what we do, people will use the word art (and philosophy, but that is for another topic) as they will.

And the pictures posted, are crap :)

I dont know any important artist today that is higly regarded by using PS. Do you?

Photographers will always be thousands, including amateurs, hobbyists and imitators. But truly recognized, there are very few.

You all need to understand that every visual object will cause an aesthetic experience. People will say that is art, even if it isnt, even if we dont like it.

Agreed, the Art of cooking... the Art of having sex, the art of farting... MEh... people take the word ART and what it encompasses for granted.

I think someone posted either as a new thread or replying post the difference between snapshots and photographs which argote points out.