Anyone regret buying a SSD?

I would regret waste money in something that give you too little for too much money. SSD is a waste of money.

This. Its just not worth it at current prices.

+1 It's what I said earlier.

Anyone that whines about the price per gigabyte and how 80/120/etc aren't enough aren't doing it right...

If people wanted something just for the OS, they can get a 30GB OCZ Vertex drive for about $80 (USD), depending.

for the boot drive and storing the core OS components which get read alot but only get changed during windows updates or whatever, you cant beat a SSD

and of course, a SSD would go well with a computer specified with enough ram to avoid having to use a page file...?

im guessing that those people who say "theyre not worth it and are overpriced" have probably never used an SSD. just my hunch...

i only have a 30GB drive, but it's absolutely perfect for me and totally worth the $100 i spent. I have Windows 7 and several apps loaded on it and still have 14GB left.

in the near future i want to buy a 100-128GB model for apps and games. i have a NAS unit for all my data storage, so i dont need standard hds in my machine at all anymore.

bottom line: if you have the money, buy what you can afford. SSDs are absolutely worth the price. if you have tons of data (think storage) then it's just not feasible right now. leave storage to traditional hd's and keep games/apps/OSs for SSDs.

I would regret waste money in something that give you too little for too much money. SSD is a waste of money.

So, you'd rather have a minivan than a corvette?

I just got one, and definitely no regrets. When you first read about them a think, nah, no way is a few seconds worth it. But it is. It really is.

I got a 60gb Vertex, enough for windows and a few new games. Not too expensive. After all I remember buying a 60gb hard drive for more than I got this one only 5 or 6 years ago.

No regrets here either, I love it as a system disc and for my games, load times are amazing and no sound - those were the reasons I bought a SSD and I am planning to buy one more.

Here I've done a benchmark of a single OCZ Vertex Limited Edition 100GB and 2x Western Digital Velociraptor 300GB in RAID0.

I use the Raptors for data storage, mainly downloads, which needs the fast speeds for writing data (downloading & extracting) and I use general 7200RPM HDD's for backups.

vqpni2hhlnputmzy1tx_thumb.pngb1q92eoquh12u8zdadt_thumb.png

Now imagine if I put two SSD's in RAID0, that would be intensive speeds!

Paid ~$240 for my Intel X25-M G2 80GB SSD last October and haven't regretted it since. It makes my machine fly like none other I've used to date.

I don't regret buying my Intel G2 one bit. I paid ?195 for it a few months back and it's been the best PC purchase I've made. It's the most noticeable upgrade you'll make to your PC.

Not to say that most SSD owners don't love their purchases...

This thread is highly flawed. You'd be hardpressed to get honest answers from people who shelled out a load of cash for an item. They will usually gloss them over enough in their minds to justify their expense. I see this happen with Smartphones all the time...

This thread is highly flawed. You'd be hardpressed to get honest answers from people who shelled out a load of cash for an item. They will usually gloss them over enough in their minds to justify their expense. I see this happen with Smartphones all the time...

Well plenty of people have posted their benchmark graphs. I think that's more than enough proof.

I am one of these guys having spent $450 for a Intel G2 160GB SSD. However, I can say that I do notice a difference from my 7200RPM 500GB HDD now that i am on my SSD, but my personal mindwash to validate the purchase is the "no moving parts" piece as i use this in my laptop. Now i can carry my laptop in standby and not fear of it waking up while in route and the drive getting trashed as a result. If you have a SSD in a laptop, you should never be shutting down and just using standby as there is no other reason to do so.

Speaking performance; my boot time was cut more than in half and applications start almost instantly (I click on my word or excel icon and the application is on my screen instantly. I personally could not be happier with it and now that the purchase is over with, i can beath that much better.

Yea, and the same goes for people that made that expensive Apple purchase. In this case it's like upgrading your Corvette (Raptor 10k) to a Ferrari (Intel X25M SATA II MLC SSD).

It's been awhile since I added the SSD and I'm now looking to peak my desktop out. I just ordered an Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 Yorkfield 3.0GHz CPU to replace my Intel Core 2 Pentium D 940 Presler, 3200 MHz CPU. Hopfully I'm getting my monies worth and not just shelling out a lot of cash for this item with no possible return.

I'm tempted by a Crucial 64GB M225 SSD which go for around ?130. I don't actually game that much so won't appreciate the load times for that, but I was just wondering if anyone had dropped the fairly large amount of money they cost on one and ended up regretting their decision at all?

SSD's are definitely the way to go. But I would highly suggest you wait until SATA6 kicks off and purchase a SSD that is SATA6 compatible. BUT you will also need a motherboard that is SATA6 compatible as well, such as the Asus P6X58D-PREMIUM Intel Mainboard.

SSD's are definitely the way to go. But I would highly suggest you wait until SATA6 kicks off and purchase a SSD that is SATA6 compatible. BUT you will also need a motherboard that is SATA6 compatible as well, such as the Asus P6X58D-PREMIUM Intel Mainboard.

Yeah my next AMD mobo will have SATA III support. But it will take at least a few years to get a decent capacity at a reasonable price.

Which is exactly why i'm waiting to buy a SSD (larger capacity, better reliability), with a motherboard that has these features integrated into their chipsets (Hint Intel!)

Which is exactly why i'm waiting to buy a SSD (larger capacity, better reliability), with a motherboard that has these features integrated into their chipsets (Hint Intel!)

You can get integrated SATA III support on a high end X58 ASUS mobo. However I don't know if they are NEC onboard controllers or if they are fully integrated like AMD has done with the 890GX chipset.

Well plenty of people have posted their benchmark graphs. I think that's more than enough proof.

There is absolutely no doubt that making the purchase of an SSD drive will be the single best upgrade in making your system perform, that anyone could do. It is a chunk of change, but well worth it, if you have the extra cash just laying around.

My motherboard is SATA6 compatible, so maybe I should just wait. The thing is that I don't want to spend much more than ?130 for 64GB, so how long might it be until SATA6 drives come down to that price range....a while I imagine.

I disagree. Along with the performance benchmarks posted in this thread already to prove the speed increases over HDDs, I personally did not have to pay for my 120GB SSD. My father originally bought it, then bought 2 more on a company card and kept one of them (he deserved it, he easily worked 20 hours overtime a week at home mostly and never got any compensation for it), knowing they were crap for large storage, he passed his on to me. From there, I had a SSD without paying a penny in the world for it, so why would I lie about how much better it is if I got it for free? That would be like getting a GPU to review (that you know you have to return) then lying about its performance to make it look better then it is.

So sure, while people may be more willing to say they do not regret their purchase, I personally did not buy my SSD and am extremely happy with it (performance-wise) compared to a HDD. I cant imagine if I had gotten a good Intel drive or a later gen drive which does not have quite the same performance degradation or small write issues as my Gen1 drive does, but even with these issues, a Gen1 SSD is still loads better then any HDD I have used.

I don't see how most people wouldn't be satisfied with their purchase. I think most people who got their SSDs actually spent time and research on it before making their purchase and knew what they were getting into when they bought it. At least I know I did. Once I actually got it the performance difference in application boot times/responsiveness was like nothing I had ever seen before. As a computer enthusiast I couldn't have been happier. Just being able to play around with new technology is a big part of the fun in purchasing it and helps justify the cost.

I also don't think I could build myself a personal system for daily use without a SSD now after being used to the application boot speeds SSDs bring. Being a coder & designer, the less time things on the comp take the better. I prefer not having to wait for things to load so I can code/design/test at a rapid pace. Having a SSD helps me do that.

I disagree. Along with the performance benchmarks posted in this thread already to prove the speed increases over HDDs, I personally did not have to pay for my 120GB SSD. My father originally bought it, then bought 2 more on a company card and kept one of them (he deserved it, he easily worked 20 hours overtime a week at home mostly and never got any compensation for it), knowing they were crap for large storage, he passed his on to me. From there, I had a SSD without paying a penny in the world for it, so why would I lie about how much better it is if I got it for free? That would be like getting a GPU to review (that you know you have to return) then lying about its performance to make it look better then it is.

So sure, while people may be more willing to say they do not regret their purchase, I personally did not buy my SSD and am extremely happy with it (performance-wise) compared to a HDD. I cant imagine if I had gotten a good Intel drive or a later gen drive which does not have quite the same performance degradation or small write issues as my Gen1 drive does, but even with these issues, a Gen1 SSD is still loads better then any HDD I have used.

Not real sure why you need to emphasize the fact that you did not have to pay for it (3 times), but then you said your father stole it using a company credit card, and then he had the guts to pass this known stolen SSD on to his son. This tells a lot about a person, and his son.

I won't discuss the morality of how you obtained the SSD as that is beyond the scope of this discussion.

I wasn't aiming to say the people in this thread have intentionally lied, but to say that they are a bad sample to ask. Mainly because when you make an expensive purchase you're more inclined to only focus on the narrow view of where it shines to make it easier for you to sleep at night with the expense of the purchase. To put it another way, there are a few potential pit falls to SSD ownership that haven't yet been fully evaluated yet. Such as the lifespan of the drives and the effectiveness, longterm, of features like TRIM. There isn't much discussion of what situations are best for SSD installations (buying an small SSD and loading apps on a traditional HDD won't help real world usage much) or where the limits of its usefulness are reached.

In short, I'm saying you are not usually going to get a laundry list of negatives from people who shelled out a lot of money for an item. Hence why you see people jumping up and down that minor smartphone revisions with equal specs are so much better when the only major difference between the two is having shelled out another $500 for it...

I am sure SSD owners in general are happy. The zero latency (access times) will offer immediate responsiveness increases that can be felt throughout the computer, but unless you are able to load all of your apps and OS on the SSD you're wasting money. Well unless you reboot your OS regularly...

I won't discuss the morality of how you obtained the SSD as that is beyond the scope of this discussion.

I wasn't aiming to say the people in this thread have intentionally lied, but to say that they are a bad sample to ask. Mainly because when you make an expensive purchase you're more inclined to only focus on the narrow view of where it shines to make it easier for you to sleep at night with the expense of the purchase. To put it another way, there are a few potential pit falls to SSD ownership that haven't yet been fully evaluated yet. Such as the lifespan of the drives and the effectiveness, longterm, of features like TRIM. There isn't much discussion of what situations are best for SSD installations (buying an small SSD and loading apps on a traditional HDD won't help real world usage much) or where the limits of its usefulness are reached.

In short, I'm saying you are not usually going to get a laundry list of negatives from people who shelled out a lot of money for an item. Hence why you see people jumping up and down that minor smartphone revisions with equal specs are so much better when the only major difference between the two is having shelled out another $500 for it...

I am sure SSD owners in general are happy. The zero latency (access times) will offer immediate responsiveness increases that can be felt throughout the computer, but unless you are able to load all of your apps and OS on the SSD you're wasting money. Well unless you reboot your OS regularly...

I'm going to disagree with this from personal experience. Yes, SSDs for boot drives are a luxury but they have impact across the system even if your apps reside on a slower spindle. You strike me as someone who holds off on purchases until a tech has received several revisions and reaches mainstream pricing, and that's cool, but your repeated assertions that early adopters are wasting money or not seeing real benefits sounds a lot more like you trying to convince yourself that this is fact.