Connecting a PS3 + Logitech Z-5500 + TV: the best option?

Denis W.

I have a PS3, a HDTV (Samsung LN52A650), and a Logitech Z-5500 speaker set. Currently the connection is as follows:

The Z-5500 control pod has an optical and coaxial input. The coaxial plug is connected to a cable box. The optical plug is connected to the TV's toslink output port. There is a PS3 and a PC connected to the TV via HDMI.

In terms of audio only output, the PC supports only coaxial output. The PS3, optical. The cable box, both.

With this setup, is it possible to have DD/DTS 5.1 streams going from the PS3 to the TV to the Z-5500's own receiver? (without having the PS3 decode them to stereo PCM) Or do I need to go with the pricier route of buying two more toslink cables and a splitter, and have the cable box and PS3 share the same toslink line going to the Z-5500?

Denis W.

Actually, nevermind. :p I figured out a cheaper solution. I'll return my PC to the three analog 3.5mm plugs, get a 3.5mm splitter so that the green plug can be shared with an old VCR (which is connected to the TV), and use the coaxial plug for my cable box and the optical plug for my PS3. Thanks anyways for reading :D

Piggy

I have the same setup almost.

Basically, you connect your PC with the best option, which here is the Coaxial.

As for your optical connection. The best way is to route sound through your TV to the speakers.

I have Shaw's HD box connected via HDMI, and my PS3 via HDMI, and both connect to the speakers through the optical connection.

Joel

As for your optical connection. The best way is to route sound through your TV to the speakers.

... which will take you from 5.1 to 2.0 output.

Piggy

... which will take you from 5.1 to 2.0 output.

Really? Damn. So how can I do this properly?

Huleboeren

I have PS3 + X360 + HDTV + PC on my Z5500

The PS3/X360 share the optical TOS Link

The HDTV I just use the builtin speakers(never watch regular tv anyways)

The PC is connected through the 3x3.5mm minijacks

my HDTV is connected to my PC so thats where most of my visual content comes from - and since PC and TV are right next to each other, my sound comes from the Z5500 when watching PC-TV :D

something

I hope you understand :s

• 4 weeks later...
Coldgunner

I have pretty much same setup as Huleboeren, works best and PS3 can output DD and DTS via optical.

• 3 weeks later...
SaLiVa

I have PS3 + X360 + HDTV + PC on my Z5500

The PS3/X360 share the optical TOS Link

The HDTV I just use the builtin speakers(never watch regular tv anyways)

The PC is connected through the 3x3.5mm minijacks

my HDTV is connected to my PC so thats where most of my visual content comes from - and since PC and TV are right next to each other, my sound comes from the Z5500 when watching PC-TV :D

something

I hope you understand :s

Yeah I have the same setup.

Instead of using just the built in speakers you could connect the Coax straight from the TV box to the speakers. Otherwise the same as Huleboeren.

• 2 weeks later...
gaurav

How do you make PS3 and Xbox share the cable? Using a splitter?

And if I'm connecting the PC, should I use Coax/Optical or 3.5mm jacks? Which gives better quality? I find that the sound from my Z5500 is usually louder using optical than 3.5mm connection (maxing out the volume in windows and elsewhere)

Huleboeren

By 'sharing' I meant that the cable is for them, but they have to share it - one at a time :p

gaurav

Ah, right! :p

Its a pain in the ass though.

still1

Audio Video receiver!!!! Thats the only best option to maintain quality of sound and video.