• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

:: Big PageFile Problem Under XP ::

Guest Generation X   

ok i have a big problem..so please if anyone can help me? ok i reinstalled win xp a little while back (2 weeks or so) and ever since it's always popping up a window at logon saying my page file is too small or i don't have one...i searched for it on the system and couldn't find one...i changed all the page file options in control panel --> performence and etc --> system etc and tried all kinds of **** (changed it about 100 times) and tried every possible thing i could and still popped up the window...i even went into command prompt found the pagefile.cfg or whatever in system32 in windows directory and tried to delete then create a new pagefile and it said error couldn't create pagefile..so i don't understand what's up...it creates a temp. pagefile now every time i logon and my system is running quite slowly at least slower than before this...i also reinstalled xp once more which DIDN'T solve the problem...do i have to delete a certain file or something and re-create a new pagefile...i don't understand what's wrong...well thanx for readin this and thanx in advance to anyone whon tried/can help me...see ya!

Guest Generation X   

alot of views (20) but no replies...bump...please help me!!

MxxCon    0

by default it's C:pagefile.sys

if you deleted something from win/system32 you might messed up something.

what are your currect settings for page file?

and do you have enough free space on that partition?

Guest Generation X   

yeah i have 3 gigz free...and i didn't delete anything from windows or anywhere...my current settings are 1.5 times my ram which is 573...

Guest Generation X   

and the pagefile.sys isn't anywhere on my system i searched for it...and when tried to create a new one it said error couldn't create pagin file...and when i deleted it it said deleted pagefile...how can it do that when i had none....i did this in command prompt since the control panel settings didn't fix anything...

purush    0

Just pop in your XP CD and do an upgrade over the existing system, you should get back the page files in its proper directory. If you have on or above 512MB of RAM then you don't need this. Believe me your system will run much faster

RenGx    0

bah, right click my computer choose properties, click advanced, then choose perfomance settings, click advanced, click change in virtual memory, click system managed page file, click OK, reboot

**btw u can stick it on what ever drive u want, u gotta work it buy however much mem u have, but I cant be assed explaing that right now, maybe when Im not pi$$ed and if no 1 else has :)

Guest Generation X   

ok do you read my post...i said i reinstalled windows/upgraded over the current system again after the problem had happened...and it's still happening..and i did change it to system managed page file or whatever and it changed back to the manual one for some reason...anyone else who can help me ?

RenGx    0

try sys restore, or reinstall the hard way, ie backup & wipe complete

Guest Generation X   

alright thanx i guess i'll just leave it like this it's an old comp. anyway and i'll get a new one like in a month...i have one last question though? what if i want to back up some stuff on hard-drive i have right now like some of the folders in program files and one big folder of stuff will it copy over the registries for all the programs in the directories i back up? cuz otherwise the programs won't work on the new computer will they? and if it doesn't do the registry for the directories how do I do this safely? so i back up some stuff and then put it on the new computer and everything works like it did before...alright thanx!

RenGx    0

I think norton does some program 4 copying files from PC 2 PC (by taking all reg's & dlls and compacting them 2 be unziped were ever) , moving drives etc, ususaly aint much of a problem, but U will more than likley, have 2 reinstall a lot of yer old stuff 2 get it 2 work

nekrosoft13    695

i had the same problem

you have to go to commant promt

it is in the help and support center in the start menu.

Creates or adds an additional paging file to a system.

Syntax

pagefileconfig.vbs /create [/s Computer [/u DomainUser [/p Password]]] /i InitialPageFileSize /m MaximumPageFileSize /vo {VolumeLetter|*} [/vo {VolumeLetter2|*} [...]]

Parameters

/s Computer

Specifies the name or IP address of a remote computer (do not use backslashes). The default is the local computer.

/u DomainUser

Runs the script with the account permissions of the user specified by User or DomainUser. The default is the permissions of the current logged on user on the computer issuing the command.

/p Password

Specifies the password of the user account that is specified in the /u parameter.

/i InitialPageFileSize

Specifies the new initial size (in MB) to use for the paging file specified.

/m MaximumPageFileSize

Specifies the new maximum size (in MB) to use for the paging file specified.

/vo {VolumeLetter|*}

Specifies the volume or volumes of the paging file settings to be created. The volume is specified by a letter followed by a colon (for example, "C:").

/?

Displays help at the command prompt.

Examples

The following examples show how you can use the pagefileconfig /create command:

pagefileconfig.vbs /create /i 140 /m 300 /vo d:

pagefileconfig.vbs /create /s srvmain /u maindomhiropln /i 150 /m 300 /vo d:

pagefileconfig.vbs /create /s srvmain /u maindomhiropln /i 50 /m 200 /vo *

pagefileconfig.vbs /create /s srvmain /u maindomhiropln /p p@ssW23 /i 100 /m 600 /vo d: /vo e: /vo f:

reply and tell me if it helped

Guest Generation X   

well i tried it before...but that was right after i started getting the popup and the speed/memory problems with my computer so i'll try it again now...and will write a reply within the next 10 min of how everything went ...hope everything goes well...see ya!

Guest Generation X   

i ****ing hate this i did what you said and it gave me the same error as it did when i did it the first time the problem came up...it says ERROR: Page File for the specified volume cannot be created. oh yeah and another thing when i try it with all the specifics computer and password and user and such....i don't know what to enter for password and username since i have one user on this and there's no password for that user...so when i leave it blank it says wrong password which i don't understand...maybe that's why? well whatever it didn't work...any other suggestions? well i'll try it in safe mode now..please reply with other ways or suggestions please...thanx!

nekrosoft13    695

thats what worked for me.

try defragmenting your hard drive.

and try again

Guest Generation X   

i actually defragmented two days ago...ok gonna try in safe mode now...hopefully it'll work...will write back with how it goes...

freeza    11

way too many pagefile threads ;x

X    0

DUDE Generation X!

<-------------------- AVATAR

/me sighs again.... second time...