Sony drops Linux Support

People.

THIS. IS. AN. APRIL'S. FOOLS. JOKE.

NO. IT. IS. NOT.

If it were, it would have been announced Thursday, not Sunday. Just because the update is due to be released on April 1st does not automatically make it an April Fools joke. Thursday just happens to be the normal day of the week for Sony to release their system updates.

The only "April Fools" are the people screaming that this is a joke simply because of when it is going to be released.

NO. IT. IS. NOT.

If it were, it would have been announced Thursday, not Sunday. Just because the update is due to be released on April 1st does not automatically make it an April Fools joke. Thursday just happens to be the normal day of the week for Sony to release their system updates.

The only "April Fools" are the people screaming that this is a joke simply because of when it is going to be released.

I'm not screaming simply because of when it's released, that's just the cincher. PS3's currently run FW 3.15. There is no reason to increment to 3.21, skipping 3.20. I know for a fact through developers I know that 3.20 comes in June with 3D gaming support. If they said 3.16, I wouldn't be saying this.

I fail to see how this will effect ~99% of users.

Surely you can't fail to see how it would anger the 1% of users that purchased the unit for the advertised dual functionality, only to have to choose one or the other - no longer able to have both features the unit was sold as being capable of performing.

I'm not screaming simply because of when it's released, that's just the cincher. PS3's currently run FW 3.15. There is no reason to increment to 3.21, skipping 3.20. I know for a fact through developers I know that 3.20 comes in June with 3D gaming support. If they said 3.16, I wouldn't be saying this.

I already know that devs have 3.20, that's not to say Sony can't release a newer version.

NO. IT. IS. NOT.

There are a few inconsistencies with this announcement that could point to it being fake. The version number is a minor bump to a non-existent major version, the release date doesn't include a time but for some reason specifies that it is JST, and the blog entry is from Patrick Seybold when all the other recent firmware updates have been announced by Eric Lempel. I don't think there is enough evidence to rule either possibility out. I'm definitely leaning towards real though, disabling Other OS instead of fixing the Hyper-visor definitely sounds like something Sony would do.

I fail to see how this will effect ~99% of users.

It'll affect 100% of PS3 fat owners when the PS4 comes out and the option to keep or sell the console for use as a internet appliance, LAMP server, cluster node, or PPC dev box is gone.

There are a few inconsistencies with this announcement that could point to it being fake. The version number is a minor bump to a non-existent major version, the release date doesn't include a time but for some reason specifies that it is JST, and the blog entry is from Patrick Seybold when all the other recent firmware updates have been announced by Eric Lempel. I don't think there is enough evidence to rule either possibility out. I'm definitely leaning towards real though, disabling Other OS instead of fixing the Hyper-visor definitely sounds like something Sony would do.

It'll affect 100% of PS3 fat owners when the PS4 comes out and the option to keep or sell the console for use as a internet appliance, LAMP server, cluster node, or PPC dev box is gone.

Haha, didn't notice that. Although I did find the time of JST a bit odd.

NO. IT. IS. NOT.

There are more inconsistencies than just the release date.

oh come on, it's not an April fools joke at all. If you bother to even think about it for 2 seconds, what exact benefit does it provide Sony to joke about with something like this? Zero. Zilch. Nadda. Instead it's created a ton of bad PR and hate towards the company. Whist it's hardly affected Sony's share price, shareholders would be incensed if all of that was created "just for a laugh"

Not only that, but if it WAS an April fools, the article would have to have actually been written on April 1st for it to qualify.

I already know that devs have 3.20, that's not to say Sony can't release a newer version.

But then why not call it 3.16, instead of skipping a semi-major update?

Oh boy!

I am so gald i did not pay for my PS3! Definetely not worth the money.

So far i dont like it AT ALL. The games i tried on it did not impress me at all compared to XBOX 360's and i was very dissapointed to see that its only good use would have to be as a Media Center machine runnin Linux.

But now that is also being taken away?

Also it is VERY irritating from Sony's side saying "the update is not mandatory but if you choose not to install it you wont be able to play new games and log in to playstation store.But hey you have a choice coz in Sony we care".

What a load of crap.They filled their newest PS with powerful hardware and so far games look and feel like they are not taking advantage of it (probably because they dont and until they do PS4 will be out), they are removing features as time goes by and all these are overpriced just because the machine has the hardware.Doesnt matter if no game or application utilizes it.The hardware is there.

Oh wait GT5 will probably utilize a significant percentage of PS3's power since is taking forever to be developed and released,so they must be doing a good work.

Of course Forza3 which is on the same level as GT5 didnt take centuries to be ready but hey,who counts.

What a load of crap.

Nice job Sony. If i, who haven't paid for the damn thing, feel so furstrated i can not imagine how someone else feels who actually paid that ridiculous amount of money to get your product.You were supposed to add features not remove and so far adding is only on the words.

Certainly hope the whole thing is an April fools joke.If not i will probably find someone and exchange my PS3 with a XBOX 360 or a Wii.

Oh boy!

I am so gald i did not pay for my PS3! Definetely not worth the money.

So far i dont like it AT ALL. The games i tried on it did not impress me at all compared to XBOX 360's and i was very dissapointed to see that its only good use would have to be as a Media Center machine runnin Linux.

But now that is also being taken away?

Also it is VERY irritating from Sony's side saying "the update is not mandatory but if you choose not to install it you wont be able to play new games and log in to playstation store.But hey you have a choice coz in Sony we care".

What a load of crap.They filled their newest PS with powerful hardware and so far games look and feel like they are not taking advantage of it (probably because they dont and until they do PS4 will be out), they are removing features as time goes by and all these are overpriced just because the machine has the hardware.Doesnt matter if no game or application utilizes it.The hardware is there.

Oh wait GT5 will probably utilize a significant percentage of PS3's power since is taking forever to be developed and released,so they must be doing a good work.

Of course Forza3 which is on the same level as GT5 didnt take centuries to be ready but hey,who counts.

What a load of crap.

Nice job Sony. If i, who haven't paid for the damn thing, feel so furstrated i can not imagine how someone else feels who actually paid that ridiculous amount of money to get your product.You were supposed to add features not remove and so far adding is only on the words.

Certainly hope the whole thing is an April fools joke.If not i will probably find someone and exchange my PS3 with a XBOX 360 or a Wii.

Sure they don't :whistle:

If you honestly don't like the PS3, fine but to spout that is frankly rubbish.

0nyX just sounds like a xbox <Snipped> to me :shiftyninja:

The PS3 and xbox 360 are equally great in their own right. One does something better than the other and vice-versa.

They filled their newest PS with powerful hardware and so far games look and feel like they are not taking advantage of it

I don't think the newer PS3 is any more superior to the original, less power hungry yes, more powerful I doubt it.

Edited by Anaron

0nyX just sounds like a xbox <Snipped> to me :shiftyninja:

The PS3 and xbox 360 are equally great in their own right. One does something better than the other and vice-versa.

I don't think the newer PS3 is any more superior to the original, less power hungry yes, more powerful I doubt it.

Yes i know i sound like that but i am not.Its just that i am more impressed from 360 games so far.Anyway i agree that each console is better to something different and as i say for me PS3 was better as media center and now is about to lose that.

The newer (SLIM) PS3 is inferior to the original (FAT) not in terms of power but capabilities.Some FAT PS3's have PS2 BC and NONE of the slims have the Install Other OS function.Also the very first PS3's had an installed card reader.It is well known that slim playstations (2 and 3) are produced like that for Sony to reduce production costs whatever that means in terms of quality.

Edited by Anaron

Yes i know i sound like that but i am not.Its just that i am more impressed from 360 games so far.Anyway i agree that each console is better to something different and as i say for me PS3 was better as media center and now is about to lose that.

The newer (SLIM) PS3 is inferior to the original (FAT) not in terms of power but capabilities.Some FAT PS3's have PS2 BC and NONE of the slims have the Install Other OS function.Also the very first PS3's had an installed card reader.It is well known that slim playstations (2 and 3) are produced like that for Sony to reduce production costs whatever that means in terms of quality.

The games on both platforms look and play the same in the majority of cases so not sure why the 360 impresses you more? As for exclusive titles, the PS3 has far more better scoring exclusives plus games like God of War and Uncharted are the best looking games on any console right now.

If you prefer the 360, great. I have no issue with that but my issue was with you saying the PS3 isn't showing any power considering what's under the 'bonnet' so to speak.

Using the PS3 as a cluster has been on the downslope for a while, as yes you don't have to upgrade the console but what happens when the PS3's start breaking. They can't replace them with slims so they are left hunting them down via ebay, not a very reliable support system.

I like the games on the Xbox 360 more than the PS3, but I like the PS3 hardware better than the Xbox 360. That is why I own both :D

I like the games on the Xbox 360 more than the PS3, but I like the PS3 hardware better than the Xbox 360. That is why I own both :D

Exactly :)

I had a 360 early on, before even Halo was released, I ended up just using it as a DVD player and sold it on. I then went with the PS3 due to the BR Player and better media capabilities, I liked the idea of easily swapping out hard drives for extra storage, plus then PlayTV arrived also. I would say that I use the machine to pretty much it's full potential except for the OtherOS option.

Each to their own, both machines are more than capable of creating great games for you to enjoy :) Buy what suits you best.

Exactly :)

I had a 360 early on, before even Halo was released, I ended up just using it as a DVD player and sold it on. I then went with the PS3 due to the BR Player and better media capabilities, I liked the idea of easily swapping out hard drives for extra storage, plus then PlayTV arrived also. I would say that I use the machine to pretty much it's full potential except for the OtherOS option.

Each to their own, both machines are more than capable of creating great games for you to enjoy :) Buy what suits you best.

I use my PS3 for my blu-ray movies of course (in addition to the PS3 exclusive games). Works awesome. For all my other media though, I use my 360.

Lose their media center, how? They're removing OtherOS...less than 5% of the population probably ever used it. If that's the "media center", tons of people, including me, have been REALLY missing out! Don't spread false information. Without using this OtherOS, I was JUST fine using the blu-ray drive, the media streamer, and photo app. I didn't have to turn on my computer for anything entertainment related.

as i say for me PS3 was better as media center and now is about to lose that.

been using my ps3 as a media center and never used the otheros feature.

Lose their media center, how? They're removing OtherOS...less than 5% of the population probably ever used it. If that's the "media center", tons of people, including me, have been REALLY missing out! Don't spread false information. Without using this OtherOS, I was JUST fine using the blu-ray drive, the media streamer, and photo app. I didn't have to turn on my computer for anything entertainment related.

Agreed

Bye bye PSN, I'll take CFW over you any day :)

Doubt a CFW is anywhere close to being made and I highly doubt one will ever surface.