Sony drops Linux Support

Geo Hotz is on the case. If anyone can do it, he can.

Either way I'm not updating until someone releases CFW.

you're going to be waiting a while...

and i doubt it, cause even he admitted and various other sources say they really haven't done anything yet.

I don't use it though I've been tempted at one time or another just to tinker with it but it is odd why they would remove a feature they intended to put in the first point which no doubt would have had this happen sooner or later I mean this is a console like a puzzle or like psp people are going to f*** with it to see what it's possibilities or if they can crack it. The Ps3 isn't a loaded gun when it's potential is fully unlocked you shouldn't just take it away from them otherwise why give them ability in the first place...

None the less if people want a full CBE to mess with can get this http://www.mc.com/products/boards/accelerator_board2.aspx

what is sony going to do next? drop blu-ray support?

they cannot drop it since all games are in bluray...

Oh boy!

I am so gald i did not pay for my PS3! Definetely not worth the money.

So far i dont like it AT ALL. The games i tried on it did not impress me at all compared to XBOX 360's and i was very dissapointed to see that its only good use would have to be as a Media Center machine runnin Linux.

But now that is also being taken away?

Also it is VERY irritating from Sony's side saying "the update is not mandatory but if you choose not to install it you wont be able to play new games and log in to playstation store.But hey you have a choice coz in Sony we care".

What a load of crap.They filled their newest PS with powerful hardware and so far games look and feel like they are not taking advantage of it (probably because they dont and until they do PS4 will be out), they are removing features as time goes by and all these are overpriced just because the machine has the hardware.Doesnt matter if no game or application utilizes it.The hardware is there.

Oh wait GT5 will probably utilize a significant percentage of PS3's power since is taking forever to be developed and released,so they must be doing a good work.

Of course Forza3 which is on the same level as GT5 didnt take centuries to be ready but hey,who counts.

What a load of crap.

Nice job Sony. If i, who haven't paid for the damn thing, feel so furstrated i can not imagine how someone else feels who actually paid that ridiculous amount of money to get your product.You were supposed to add features not remove and so far adding is only on the words.

Certainly hope the whole thing is an April fools joke.If not i will probably find someone and exchange my PS3 with a XBOX 360 or a Wii.

You def sound like xbox <Snipped>... and btw, removing the otherOS feature wont disable the system media center.

other OS feature is being used by very few people.... They only exist in fat ps3 and not in slim....

Edited by Anaron

So far i dont like it AT ALL. The games i tried on it did not impress me at all compared to XBOX 360's and i was very dissapointed to see that its only good use would have to be as a Media Center machine runnin Linux.

Almost all 360 games worth playing are multiplatform...

Btw just in case anyone reads soniq's link & the comments, one commenter says:

written by Well Done, March 30, 2010

Sony done a patent against hacking/modding after GeoHot found he's findings. So if he does a CUSTOM FIRMWARE once SONY take away the OS, he will get done for it.

This isn't true at all. Geo's hack is completely different from what Sony patented :)

+ lol to all the people who really think it comes down to losing Linux support.

You def sound like xbox <Snipped>... and btw, removing the otherOS feature wont disable the system media center.

other OS feature is being used by very few people.... They only exist in fat ps3 and not in slim....

Wow.

You definetely sound like someone who can't read.

I said i know i sounded like an xbox <Snipped>.Truth is if i was i would own one.Also saying that i am a fanboy just because i am saying my opinion is kinda 1st grade trash talk but if that works for you.

Also please do show me the part in which i say exactly these words: OtherOS feature removal will disable media center (btw the thing you are reffering to is called XMB.I on the other hand was reffering to the media Center function in general) or i am at least implying that XMB (or media center as you call it) will be removed.

What i mean is that you have much more options once you are inside linux of managing your multimedia files,organizing them,edit them,play them, share them.You can also install more advanced Media Center applications and set up shares.And that is just for multimedia files and media center functions.Maybe you and the majority dont use linux on PS3 for this stuff.

However that does not mean that linux being an OS (and an open one) is more capable in doing some things than Sony's (or any other's manufactuer in their machines) XMB which is cut and closed for each console to do very specific things.For example i know a lot of people including me that would like to play mkv files on their PS3 straight from the hard drive.So you can hardly call it media center if you can play just a specific number of file types with no selection of programs,no way to edit them and the list goes on.

But that happens to EVERY console because they are just consoles.PS3 however was more than that.And now Sony is trying to remove that (along with a lot of things during these years).

If you or anyone else does not have a problem with that as a consumer who payed for the product (no matter if you use the feature) than perhaps someone else is a fanboy...

Edited by Anaron

As said before, the update isn't mandatory. If you don't want to lose the Other OS function, don't update. SONY already shifted towards the PS3 Slim which never had Other OS function anyway and it keeps on selling. It must be doing something right. I never heard anyone say: "Oh I won't buy a PS3 to play God of War 3 if I then can't put Linux on it for... herr, a bit better media centering?" If you want Other OS and PSN, sorry. It's their service, their rules. Does anyone have numbers on the number of Other OS installs by home users? Would it even tally up to 1% of the global number of PS3?

This is almost equivalent to the "outrage" that followed the XBL bans. It's their service which has now a new condition for use: 3.21 upgrade. And go blame Geohotz for it. "Ohhh but he is helping the community." If he didn't try to bypass the security on the PS3 to had "new functions" (finding a way to run an exploit that could (would eventually) be used to run pirated copies), you'd still have Other OS to ad legitimate "new functions". Someone had to spoil it for the rest of you. I can only imagine the "outrage" that would ensue if Geohotz had already found an exploit to run backups and this firmware update removed it. All hell would break loose. "But I don't want to lose my legitimate "function" that I paid for... " :rolleyes:

Upgrade or don't. Linux or PSN. Make your choice.

And to everyone making internet lawyer claims, I'm pretty sure SONY's legal department wasn't sleeping when this decision was made. :whistle:

As said before, the update isn't mandatory. If you don't want to lose the Other OS function, don't update. SONY already shifted towards the PS3 Slim which never had Other OS function anyway and it keeps on selling. It must be doing something right. I never heard anyone say: "Oh I won't buy a PS3 to play God of War 3 if I then can't put Linux on it for... herr, a bit better media centering?" If you want Other OS and PSN, sorry. It's their service, their rules. Does anyone have numbers on the number of Other OS installs by home users? Would it even tally up to 1% of the global number of PS3?

This is almost equivalent to the "outrage" that followed the XBL bans. It's their service which has now a new condition for use: 3.21 upgrade. And go blame Geohotz for it. "Ohhh but he is helping the community." If he didn't try to bypass the security on the PS3 to had "new functions" (finding a way to run an exploit that could (would eventually) be used to run pirated copies), you'd still have Other OS to ad legitimate "new functions". Someone had to spoil it for the rest of you. I can only imagine the "outrage" that would ensue if Geohotz had already found an exploit to run backups and this firmware update removed it. All hell would break loose. "But I don't want to lose my legitimate "function" that I paid for... " :rolleyes:

Upgrade or don't. Linux or PSN. Make your choice.

And to everyone making internet lawyer claims, I'm pretty sure SONY's legal department wasn't sleeping when this decision was made. :whistle:

And the best post of this topic goes too....

Well said there my friend, I agree with you 100%. Sony removing Linux is just another reason for the haters to keep on hating. I bet most people that are complaining have NEVER even used this feature anyway.

Want Linux? Run it on a PC. It runs loads better anyway!

As said before, the update isn't mandatory.

As long as you don't want to play newer titles that require 3.21 then no there is no need to upgrade :whistle:

If you want Other OS and PSN, sorry. It's their service, their rules.

Not really. They advertized the system as having both features. This update makes the people who bought the systems choose between one or the other. It is, therefore, not the system that they paid for anymore. Legal departments don't always review the ramifications of every little system update, so it is quite possible that they didn't think this one through. From a legal standpoint, they are on very thin ice. If this did come to a class-action lawsuit, Sony would have to convince a judge that they had NO other option to prevent piracy.

As long as you don't want to play newer titles that require 3.21 then no there is no need to upgrade :whistle:

Or do anything on PSN. Or play purchased videos.

Not really. They advertized the system as having both features. This update makes the people who bought the systems choose between one or the other. It is, therefore, not the system that they paid for anymore. Legal departments don't always review the ramifications of every little system update, so it is quite possible that they didn't think this one through. From a legal standpoint, they are on very thin ice. If this did come to a class-action lawsuit, Sony would have to convince a judge that they had NO other option to prevent piracy.

You need to have re-read of the T&C's that you agreed too when you signed up for the PSN and to use the PS3. They clearly state that they can, and will, edit/change/remove features as they see fit.

If having 'OtherOS' on the PS3 is going to give hackers a doorway into the PS3 then Sony have no choice. Piracy is illegal so no court in the world will listen to peoples claims over this.

Is it just me or has this whole law-suit nonsense gotten well and truly out of hand nowadays? It's quite pathetic really.

You need to have re-read of the T&C's that you agreed too when you signed up for the PSN and to use the PS3. They clearly state that they can, and will, edit/change/remove features as they see fit.

I have read over it. They can ban you from PSN if you have violated the T&C. Installing Linux, in and of itself, does not violate the T&C. And no T&C can override the law anyway. If their T&C said that you could only play country music on the system, or only watch horror movies, or only play games on certain days of the week, it wouldn't stand up in court. They can write whatever they want in a T&C, but that doesn't mean its legally enforcable.

If having 'OtherOS' on the PS3 is going to give hackers a doorway into the PS3 then Sony have no choice. Piracy is illegal so no court in the world will listen to peoples claims over this.

It is not simply the fact that the OtherOS feature is there that gives hackers a way in. It is apparently some other flaw in the system (I'm guessing it's in the hypervisor) that allows Linux to read system memory. This has the potential to lead to a piracy hack, but it hasn't been proven yet. Sony has another option though: fix the actual flaw instead of removing a useful feature.

Is it just me or has this whole law-suit nonsense gotten well and truly out of hand nowadays? It's quite pathetic really.

Some lawsuits are clearly frivoulous, however when a company removes a feature that people paid for, a lawusit is certainly warranted.

As many have said, how many have actually purchased a PS3 to use it for Linux? I'm betting not many at all and the ones that have won't be interested in upgrading the firmware as they won't care for the feature that they normally bring.

I've looked on the internet to try and gauge how many home users actually use Linux on a regular basis and so far I've come up with very few.

I think people are just moaning for moaning sakes, I really do.

Anyway, we'll never agree so I'll leave it here.

As said, their games, their rules. This is like saying that the Wii updates required by certain Wii games are pure evil because they block Homebrew Chanel and other exploits THAT ARE ONLY EVER USED FOR LEGITIMATE PURPOSES.

Or do anything on PSN. Or play purchased videos.

Emphasis added. Since it's not mandatory and the block is from the PSN side of things, a service that has a TOS that states that it may remove certain features, any lawsuit doesn't really have much of a leg to stand on. If it had, someone would have sued SONY when the PS3 Slim came out without Other OS available. Hey it's still a PS3 right?

This would be like the people that were banned from XBL suing Microsoft because they think they have a right to use their service even when not complying with the TOS. Not using XBL examples, it would be like suing SONY to not discontinue BETA, because they have a BETA player that they want to keep using AND get every new movie for the next 20 years on BETA when SONY is pushing out Blu-rays.

If it had, someone would have sued SONY when the PS3 Slim came out without Other OS available. Hey it's still a PS3 right?

Releasing a new model without OtherOS support is a totally different thing, from a legal standpoint, than removing the feature from models that shipped with it. As for your other comparisons, neither really apply to this situation. It would be more like Microsoft releasing an update for the Xbox 360 that removed the option to play streaming media. If you didn't install the update, you would no longer be able to play any games online or play any future game that was released. Since you are not from the US, I don't expect you to understand the way the law works here, but if you sell something to someone, you are not allowed later to change the terms of that sale or take parts of it back without compensating the buyer.

good for, still going to take him a STUPID amount of time.... they really haven't done anything yet.

Recently a new patent by a SONY employee was published on the patent site at faqs.org. It seems it is SONY's answer for Geohot's progress. Take a look here:

"A method, system, and computer-usable medium are disclosed for controlling unauthorized access to encrypted application program code. Predetermined program code is encrypted with a first key. The hash value of an application verification certificate associated with a second key is calculated by performing a one-way hash function. Binding operations are then performed with the first key and the calculated hash value to generate a third key, which is a binding key. The binding key is encrypted with a fourth key to generate an encrypted binding key, which is then embedded in the application. The application is digitally signed with a fifth key to generate an encrypted and signed program code image. To decrypt the encrypted program code, the application verification key certificate is verified and in turn is used to verify the authenticity of the encrypted and signed program code image. The encrypted binding key is then decrypted with a sixth key to extract the binding key. The hash value of the application verification certificate associated with the second key is then calculated and used with the extracted binding key to extract the first key. The extracted first key is then used to decrypt the encrypted application code."

http://www.faqs.org/patents/app/20100037068#ixzz0feEg2cT4

im all for him doing it, i would love it. but i just don't see it happening anytime soon.

Erm, a lot of them are, especially if you count PC games (Mass Effect / 2, Gears of War, Fable)

Erm, a lot of them are not, even if you include PC games. Gears of War 2, Halo 3, Halo 3 ODST, Halo Reach, Fable 2, Fable 3, Halo Wars, Shadow Complex, Frontlines, Alan Wake, Forza 1, Forza 2, Forza 3, Dead Rising 1, Crackdown 1, Crackdown 2, N3, N32, Chromehounds, Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts, Viva Pinata, Infinite Undiscovery, Kameo, PDZ, Lips, Lost Odyssey, PGR3, PGR4, Race Pro, Saints Row, Scene It and many more, including XBLA titles.

Sorry dude.

Please refrain from using the word "fanboy".

Taken straight from the Gamers' Hangout guidelines:

Please discuss topics respectfully. Attempts to bait others into flamewars will not be tolerated. The use of "fanboy" (or any similar derogatory term) when used against a specific member or group of members will be considered flame-bait and/or a personal attack. You also may not join a discussion for the purpose of destroying it by making lame and unhelpful comments. Such people will be dealt with accordingly. In summary, no flamebaiting, no trolling and no personal attacks.

Not sure why people are defending this move... I don't use OtherOS, but I'm definitely going to wait as long as I can to update in hopes that someone comes up with a workaround. I think tinkering with Linux on the PS3 would be a lot of fun, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Erm, a lot of them are not, even if you include PC games. Gears of War 2, Halo 3, Halo 3 ODST, Halo Reach, Fable 2, Fable 3, Halo Wars, Shadow Complex, Frontlines, Alan Wake, Forza 1, Forza 2, Forza 3, Dead Rising 1, Crackdown 1, Crackdown 2, N3, N32, Chromehounds, Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts, Viva Pinata, Infinite Undiscovery, Kameo, PDZ, Lips, Lost Odyssey, PGR3, PGR4, Race Pro, Saints Row, Scene It and many more, including XBLA titles.

Sorry dude.

Your just saying any old exclusives there for the fun of it. Not all of them are good. Sure, the vast majority may be, but the PS3 has games to come back with. Forza 3 is a great game, I have it, but Gran Turismo will be better. Other Forzas....Naaaah. Lips? SingStar. Halo? Well, I don't like them anyway. Repetitive boringness. GT>PGR.

PlayStation Store has loads of great titles too, so lets not get carried away here.

Oh, and before you say anything else, 360>PS3.