The begining of 3D HDTV

TruckWEB    480

So, this weekend, while at BestBuy, I stopped at a demo of Samsung new 46" 3D HDTV. The only 3D movie available, the animated "Monsters VS Aliens" was playing on the new Samsung 3D Blu-Ray player.

First thing that caught my eyes : PRICE. For the same price of a 55" LED LCD, you get a 46" 3D display. It get worst if you go to a bigger 3D display. And then, $875 ($CAN) for the Blu-Ray player, 2 pair of glasses and that one 3D movie.

I let that shock pass, got a pair of glasses, turn them ON and watched. Not 5 minutes later, a form of headaches was getting to me. Lets just say that I don't have ANY problem watching 3D movie in theater. And it's NOT the same 3D, not at all. I don't know if it's a bad 3D movie, but things just barely feels like they pop out of the screen. I've seen my share of 3D in theater and the effect is much better than this. Before someone here tells me that I was not placed correctly to enjoy the demo, well, I was, as specified by Samsung.

It's a HUGE let down, I'll have to wait and see some other 3D movie to compare (when they are out....). But Monsters VS Aliens was not up to par, or the hole 3D experience is not up to par with theater 3D.

For the price, right now.... It's a ripoff.

What do you guys think?? Have you seen the demo?

agreenbhm    29

3 words: 3D Bluray pr0n. Until then, I'll pass.

ahhell    1,303

The first generation of any new tech is always craptastic.

itzwolf    22

I have not seen the demo but I'll have to check it out next time I am at BestBuy.

The headache I am guessing is to due with the dual refresh rates (one for each eye). I am sure this will be of common complaint as this gets more widespread.

Got3n    39

If im not mistaken the 3d demo in best buy uses shutter glasses, the movies I've seen in theaters use Polarized glasses, such as Avatar and How to Train Your Dragon. I too have tried the Samsung demo and felt a slight sick feeling but I'm sure you just have to adjust to it.

itzwolf    22

3 words: 3D Bluray pr0n. Until then, I'll pass.

Not sure if I like the idea of money shots appearing to fly at me :unsure:

TruckWEB    480

If im not mistaken the 3d demo in best buy uses shutter glasses, the movies I've seen in theaters use Polarized glasses, such as Avatar and How to Train Your Dragon. I too have tried the Samsung demo and felt a slight sick feeling but I'm sure you just have to adjust to it.

Yeah, theater use polarized VS LCD shutter glasses for home 3D.

That's the point, I don't want to adjust to a sick feeling... I'm quite fine when I go to theater. It suck to have two VERY different experience while watching a movie. Were talking about my eyes here, I don't want to wear them out too fast because of 3D.

People are having hearing problems sooner because of loud volume and headphones and in-ears phone. I don't want to suffer from any eyes sickness because of badly implemented 3D.

That's my point of view, and my .02 cent.

CUBBYJR2005    13

So, this weekend, while at BestBuy, I stopped at a demo of Samsung new 46" 3D HDTV. The only 3D movie available, the animated "Monsters VS Aliens" was playing on the new Samsung 3D Blu-Ray player.

First thing that caught my eyes : PRICE. For the same price of a 55" LED LCD, you get a 46" 3D display. It get worst if you go to a bigger 3D display. And then, $875 ($CAN) for the Blu-Ray player, 2 pair of glasses and that one 3D movie.

I let that shock pass, got a pair of glasses, turn them ON and watched. Not 5 minutes later, a form of headaches was getting to me. Lets just say that I don't have ANY problem watching 3D movie in theater. And it's NOT the same 3D, not at all. I don't know if it's a bad 3D movie, but things just barely feels like they pop out of the screen. I've seen my share of 3D in theater and the effect is much better than this. Before someone here tells me that I was not placed correctly to enjoy the demo, well, I was, as specified by Samsung.

It's a HUGE let down, I'll have to wait and see some other 3D movie to compare (when they are out....). But Monsters VS Aliens was not up to par, or the hole 3D experience is not up to par with theater 3D.

For the price, right now.... It's a ripoff.

What do you guys think?? Have you seen the demo?

it may look like a ripoff but come on you know the prices will be high when it first comes out wait a year or two or three it will drop.Not everone borughta HDTV when it first came out because of the high prices.The Same for bluray dvd players not everyone got them when they first came out.

HawkMan    5,232

polarized theater glassed does essentially the same as shutter glasses for TV's though.

polarized TV/computer glasses isn't a very good technology since it use an interlaced picture. LG does polarized though.

Theaters use shutters as well though. projectors can use polarized glasses the same way as theaters though.

Denis W.    734

The demo in Best Buy looked like cardboard cutout characters flying in front of me. Was okay, but at this cost, meh.

+InsaneNutter    1,415

I hope it doesn't catch on to be honest... i've always had a bit of a headache after watching something in 3d, I also don't like the idea of having to put on some special glasses every time I want to watch something.

As we are yet to get any proper terrestrial HDTV channels in the UK that broadcast for more than the odd random program 3D is not something ill have to worry about anytime soon i don't think.

TruckWEB    480

it may look like a ripoff but come on you know the prices will be high when it first comes out wait a year or two or three it will drop.Not everone borughta HDTV when it first came out because of the high prices.The Same for bluray dvd players not everyone got them when they first came out.

I don't remember Blu-Ray player costing $875 with only 1 movie included. How much those 2 glasses cost, I don't know, but It's above and beyond what I would be ready to pay. And lets not forget, TWO glasses, so if you're more, you'll have to fork some more $$ for extra glasses.

Another thing, even if I know that it's new tech, and they are going to suck the money from early adopters... The price of admission is high. Right now (and I mean NOW) who would prefer to pay more for 46" 3D LED LCD instead of 55" LED LCD?

People are just getting on board with HDTV and buying new TV. With the slow economy, it did not help. IF you already own a relatively new HDTV, are you going to switch now to 3D?

spenser.d    1,100

So whats the big difference here? I can watch any 3D movie with the polarized glasses they give you with the movie on my regular LCD HDTV and I get a fantastic effect. Why should one buy a 3D TV?

-Spenser

TruckWEB    480

So whats the big difference here? I can watch any 3D movie with the polarized glasses they give you with the movie on my regular LCD HDTV and I get a fantastic effect. Why should one buy a 3D TV?

-Spenser

What movie??

The only 3D movie I have here in Blu-Ray came with the CRAP blue/red cardboard glasses. The effect is terrible, the worst of all.

spenser.d    1,100

What movie??

The only 3D movie I have here in Blu-Ray came with the CRAP blue/red cardboard glasses. The effect is terrible, the worst of all.

I watched part of My Bloody Valentine 3D. One of my buddies nearly jumped out of his chair when an axe got thrown at the camera.

-Spenser

HawkMan    5,232

I don't remember Blu-Ray player costing $875 with only 1 movie included. How much those 2 glasses cost, I don't know, but It's above and beyond what I would be ready to pay. And lets not forget, TWO glasses, so if you're more, you'll have to fork some more $$ for extra glasses.

Another thing, even if I know that it's new tech, and they are going to suck the money from early adopters... The price of admission is high. Right now (and I mean NOW) who would prefer to pay more for 46" 3D LED LCD instead of 55" LED LCD?

People are just getting on board with HDTV and buying new TV. With the slow economy, it did not help. IF you already own a relatively new HDTV, are you going to switch now to 3D?

There are other changes with the 3D tv's though. like higher refresh and much higher light. thought that may only old true for the polarized type as I don't think the shutter type needs it.

Razorwing    640

I watched part of My Bloody Valentine 3D. One of my buddies nearly jumped out of his chair when an axe got thrown at the camera.

-Spenser

lol. now that's funny. :laugh:

DaDude    83

I'm not buying 3D until adult movies come out in 3D. :p

Fish    48

I'm yet to be convinced that 3D is anything but a gimmick. The recent push by TV manufacturers into the domestic 3D market is a cynical marketing ploy, riding the current bandwagon in an effort to improve on flagging sales due to the economic downturn.

Don't believe the hype. Don't waste your money.

DaDude    83

While I agree with many here that 3D is ridiculous and is just a great way to cause migraine, I?m surprised many here are not interested. A couple of my co-workers saw some display 3-D TVs at Best Buy and they told me it?s the most amazing thing they?ve ever seen! I haven?t checked it out yet, but maybe I should. I would like to see how ?amazing? it really is.

TruckWEB    480
A couple of my co-workers saw some display 3-D TVs at Best Buy and they told me it?s the most amazing thing they?ve ever seen! I haven?t checked it out yet, but maybe I should. I would like to see how ?amazing? it really is.

It's NOT. Far from the effect that we have in a movie theater. And lets not forget the lack of 3D content as of NOW. One movie in Blu-Ray 3D, that's it. And maybe it was not the best movie to showcase the 3D HDTV.

Joni_78    49

I'm yet to be convinced that 3D is anything but a gimmick. The recent push by TV manufacturers into the domestic 3D market is a cynical marketing ploy, riding the current bandwagon in an effort to improve on flagging sales due to the economic downturn.

Don't believe the hype. Don't waste your money.

That's exactly what 3D is, a marketing ploy.

Andrew Lyle    341

3D movies hurt my eyes too :( People think I am weird for saying this, but they really do. My bloody valentine 3D KILLED my eyesight for the next day or so.. it strained my eyes so bad I had to remove the glasses during the movie and watch part of it in the blurry condition.

Judging from what you said, my eyes get strained easily, although I have better than 20/20 vision. I've been told I have eyes like a hawk, (far sighted) which is probably why I can't watch 3D movies. Avatar did the same thing to me. I am failing 3D HDTV's.. as they are junk.