StickyNotes for Windows - Beta 9.3

I think they should be 2 different applications as they will each have their own purpose. Also, the only thing i can see with 2 applications is it possibly taking up a fair bit of your time?

I was asking what he was programming in. I might be able to help depending on what he is using to program. I think he has a very good idea.

Also, I'd like to make a suggestion.

339311100.png

Instead of having to press close, I think it would be better to have it to click onto the text to close it automatically :)

I think they should be 2 different applications as they will each have their own purpose. Also, the only thing i can see with 2 applications is it possibly taking up a fair bit of your time?

It's not too much trouble - so I may do it. All it would do is delay Notes but also mean that the more mature StickyNotes comes out earlier.

Now here's the thing i'm wondering, should I split the Notes and StickyNotes project in two? Or just keep them as a whole? Reply after you've tried this build.

I was asking what he was programming in. I might be able to help depending on what he is using to program. I think he has a very good idea.

I was referring to this :)

Running Notes.exe throws an exception (HRESULT : 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED) at Microsoft.WindowsAPICodePack.Taskbar.JumpList.AppendCustomCategories()), and the three leftmost menus have no icons (and have no effect). Is it because I didn't install Notes and only extracted the Notes_0_8_6_0 folder and all its content?

Also, opening the last StickyNote if no StickyNote was opened before throws an InvalidCastException (you're trying to convert an empty String into an Integer).

@djdanster >> From the exception message, I guess he's using VB.NET and WinForms :laugh:

StickyNotes Beta 1: Download

There is no changes apart from a jumplist.

This is the brand new split app (No longer part of Notes), so you'll see it has it's own name now.

I like notes a ton! It is a way better choice than the boring old windows notepad... but i do get a unhandled exception has occured in your application. if you click continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. if you click quit, the app will close. Access is denied (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED))

any suggestions? :\

I like notes a ton! It is a way better choice than the boring old windows notepad... but i do get a unhandled exception has occured in your application. if you click continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. if you click quit, the app will close. Access is denied (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED))

any suggestions? :\

What did you do to get the error?

StickyNotes Beta 1: Download

There is no changes apart from a jumplist.

This is the brand new split app (No longer part of Notes), so you'll see it has it's own name now.

I'm confused. Is this a similar, yet different program, or just the same program with a new name? (just wondering what you mean by "split app."

Also, this version does not have an icon in the Start Menu, nor does it put a shortcut on the Desktop (It's icon is that of a generic Windows 7 app exectuable icon). Is that coming in an updated version?

Haven't tried this yet, out of curiosity, what language are you writing this in?

Edit: Opened it up with reflector, I see it's C#, I code in C# as a job so I feel pretty knowledgeable in it, if theres anything you would like done that you don't have time for, or something is confusing you, let me know.

What about my question? Is there a way for this to be a portable app?

@firey >> He's using VB.NET, there are references to Microsoft.VisualBasic in the exceptions thrown by Notes.

@firey >> He's using VB.NET, there are references to Microsoft.VisualBasic in the exceptions thrown by Notes.

Hopefully for 1.0 - but as this is a Beta there is currently no need.

I'm confused. Is this a similar, yet different program, or just the same program with a new name? (just wondering what you mean by "split app."

Also, this version does not have an icon in the Start Menu, nor does it put a shortcut on the Desktop (It's icon is that of a generic Windows 7 app exectuable icon). Is that coming in an updated version?

This app was once part of an app called "Notes", also the icon is getting changed in the next beta.

Hmm, okay, well below is some C# code.. that could be translated in VB to work with this, it's basically loading code for multiple notes.

NOTE: THIS IS C#, if the project is in VB it could be easily translated, as it's pretty much the same.. just no curly braces and commas

Couple quick ideas, #1, use arrays to handle your "new windows" instead of just declaring it with the same name. Do something like the following for loading notes (this won't cover positions, but it will help), and use a separate form to handle this, but have that "form" always be minimized to the system tray. Use that to manage the open notes and such.

The code below would work well for loading notes, it would be part of frmLoad or something (as you use frmMain for your notes)

frmMain[] main; //Put this in your class dec  (outside of your form code), as we will use it to load notes, this also lets each note talk to the main form
int intNoteIDX = 0; //use this to track indexes

//Use this for loading old notes,  
//In here you could load up an INI, or CSV, or .DAT which houses your notes
//Lets say you have a .txt that is layed out id;title;note (or use some other symbol to separate)
streamReader sr = new streamReader("notes.txt")
string[] split = new string[3] //however many fields.. could do more for tracking color, position, whatever this is just a base
string read = "";

while (!sr.EndofFile)
{
    read = sr.ReadLine();

main[intNoteIDX] = new frmMain(this);  //Would require you to modify your frmMain to accept a frmLoad (or whatever variation) reference [the parent]
    main[intNoteIDX].StartPosition = FormStartPosition.Manual;
    main[intNoteIDX].Top = (intNoteIDX > 0 ?  main[intNoteIDX - 1].Top +  main[intNoteIDX - 1].Height + 5 : 50);
    main[intNoteIDX].Left = (intNoteIDX > 0 ?  main[intNoteIDX - 1].Left +  main[intNoteIDX - 1].Width + 5 : 50);

//You would need to public your textboxes
    split = read.split(';'); //replacing ';' with whatever char you decide
    main[intNoteIDX].titleLabel.Text = split[1]; //Guessing that's your title?
    main[intNoteIDX].TextBox1 = split[2]; //Guessing that's your note area?

main[intNoteIDX].Show();

intNoteIDX++;
}
sr.close();

//Then down here would be used to create a new note, just change the code to call back to the "parent" form, could static it if you don't want to reference
//in your note form just do something like
parentFrm.newNote();  //parentFrm is passed via the constructor in the example I used above

//then in your parent form
intNoteIDX = 0;
foreach (frmMain m in main)
{
   if (m != null)
      intNoteIDX++;
  else
     {
          main[intNoteIDX] = new frmMain(this);
          main[intNoteIDX].StartPosition = FormStartPosition.Manual;
          main[intNoteIDX].Top = (intNoteIDX > 0 ?  main[intNoteIDX - 1].Top +  main[intNoteIDX - 1].Height + 5 : 50);
          main[intNoteIDX].Left = (intNoteIDX > 0 ?  main[intNoteIDX - 1].Left +  main[intNoteIDX - 1].Width + 5 : 50);
          main[intNoteIDX].Show();

break;
     }
}

The above code is rough and could easily be tweaked and modified, but I think it would add a lot to your program, both from a management side, aswell as functionality. Then to close the program, just loop through each sticky note in the array, save it in your data file (that stores note info), then kill off that form object.

And yea, it is VB.NET there are references to it in the source, well I know VB too, so the offer still stands :p

I tired to install it on Windows XP on a school computer and it prompted for Admin comfirmation, trying to install as a standard user it errors out. I would like to see a non-installation version of it if possible.

EDIT: It seems it installed but running the software is erroring out. Also I was wondering if an import into OneNote Function is availible.

Thanks for the reply Jan.

A couple of suggestions:

Will there be a font changing area for sticky notes? I noticed that when you copy and paste from a different app, it keeps that app's font. Also, will you be putting in bullets or special characters? I can see myself using this at work more so than One Note that I am using now.

Excellent app, I am loving it!

post-1544-0-38978200-1299083328.png

Jumplist works fine for me, but as someone mentioned ONeNote, that brings up a great idea for me; can you give us the option of choosing where to place the notes like on the drive? I'd love to place my notes in Dropbox, so that all my computers would have the same sticky notes :D

Thanks for the reply Jan.

A couple of suggestions:

Will there be a font changing area for sticky notes? I noticed that when you copy and paste from a different app, it keeps that app's font. Also, will you be putting in bullets or special characters? I can see myself using this at work more so than One Note that I am using now.

Excellent app, I am loving it!

You'll be able to change the font of text in Beta 2.

You maybe able to insert special characters in Beta 3.

Jumplist works fine for me, but as someone mentioned ONeNote, that brings up a great idea for me; can you give us the option of choosing where to place the notes like on the drive? I'd love to place my notes in Dropbox, so that all my computers would have the same sticky notes :D

Super awesome idea! I'd love to have something like that - possibly StickyNotes 1.2 - 1.3?

I tired to install it on Windows XP on a school computer and it prompted for Admin comfirmation, trying to install as a standard user it errors out. I would like to see a non-installation version of it if possible.

EDIT: It seems it installed but running the software is erroring out. Also I was wondering if an import into OneNote Function is availible.

StickyNotes does not work on Windows XP.

Thanks for the donations guys!

you deserve every last one of those donations Jan, you've put together a great program :)