LED TV'S

(Spork)    87

looking to upgrade my Panasonic 37 inch tv and i was looking at a 47 inch LED but 2000+ is pricey but before i go shelling out that kinda money i have to ask

ARE THEY WORTH IT ?

im going to be getting a blu ray player as well and everything will be hooked up with hdmi of course

User6060    352

LED are nice and bright but so is my non LED LCD tv.

when all white commercials come on it hurts my eyes. but the contrast is amazing

Jeston    400

Yes! Get an LED TV with local dimming like the Samsung UN46B8000. It is by far the best looking TV I've seen. This year's model (UN46C8000) adds in 3D support and a smaller price tag. Definitely worth looking at. I have the UN40B7000 which doesn't have local dimming and it's still far superior to my other 3 year old Samsung LCD.

Joni_78    49

I have 55" Bravia XBR8 (X4500) LED LCD TV, these are still far away from the picture quality of what CRT's had. You'll notice the difference between regular LCD and LED LCD but its just a minor difference. Every year there is going to be something slightly better until the picture quality is as good as CRT's or better.

So it's not worth buying latest models if there is a huge price difference unless you are an enthusiast like me and like to calibrate and stuff.

(Spork)    87

Yes! Get an LED TV with local dimming like the Samsung UN46B8000. It is by far the best looking TV I've seen. This year's model (UN46C8000) adds in 3D support and a smaller price tag. Definitely worth looking at. I have the UN40B7000 which doesn't have local dimming and it's still far superior to my other 3 year old Samsung LCD.

best buy has this one tht you listed on sale

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_dynSessConf=7536017757266593578&id=pcat17071&type=page&st=Samsung+UN46B8000&sc=Global&cp=1&nrp=15&sp=&qp=&list=n&iht=y&usc=All+Categories&ks=960

id like to see the price on the one with 3d .. not sure id use it but id like to see the price

e-berlin.org    77

No one mentions the significantly lower lifetime of LED displays.

Motoko.    435

Is that true?

(Spork)    87

Is that true?

yes id like to know this too looking to keep this tv a while

ccuk    48

Compared with what exactly?

Last time I looked into LED TVs the Samsung LEDs were rated at 100,000 Hours MTBF. That works out to approximately 11 years continuous usage... Seems like a long time to me.

• Like 2
+Chsoriano    138

Just FYI, the Samsung B8000 series is NOT local dimming. The B8500 series IS local dimming.

Jeston    400

Just FYI, the Samsung B8000 series is NOT local dimming. The B8500 series IS local dimming.

Whoops, my mistake. All this time I thought the entire 8000 series was local dimming. Looking again, you're absolutely right, only the 8500 series has local dimming. Thanks for the correction. Sorry, OP

(Spork)    87

Whoops, my mistake. All this time I thought the entire 8000 series was local dimming. Looking again, you're absolutely right, only the 8500 series has local dimming. Thanks for the correction. Sorry, OP

no worries still not sold on the TV

Gavin001    5

I have 55" Bravia XBR8 (X4500) LED LCD TV, these are still far away from the picture quality of what CRT's had. You'll notice the difference between regular LCD and LED LCD but its just a minor difference. Every year there is going to be something slightly better until the picture quality is as good as CRT's or better.

So it's not worth buying latest models if there is a huge price difference unless you are an enthusiast like me and like to calibrate and stuff.

That is one amazing TV you got there!

HawkMan    5,232

Compared with what exactly?

Last time I looked into LED TVs the Samsung LEDs were rated at 100,000 Hours MTBF. That works out to approximately 11 years continuous usage... Seems like a long time to me.

LED's unfortunately don't die at the same time.

the bonus is that LED's never die, they just go to 50% light at EOL. however, they all get there at different times, wich will cause the picture to go weird over time.

Also you need to pay attention to back lit or sidelit LED. sidelit, you may as well go for regular LCD unless you want to save on the powerbill. Backlit LED. you need to make sure they're actually local dimming, and that there's a decent amount of LED's. there'll never be even close to the amount of pixels, but the more the better. And sony's top end models got RGB backlit LED as well, which almost gives it Plasma quality picture according to some.

Untill then, if Quality is what you're after. go for plasma. as a bonus you get a better picture and you get it cheaper.

ccuk    48

LED's unfortunately don't die at the same time.

the bonus is that LED's never die, they just go to 50% light at EOL. however, they all get there at different times, wich will cause the picture to go weird over time.

Also you need to pay attention to back lit or sidelit LED. sidelit, you may as well go for regular LCD unless you want to save on the powerbill. Backlit LED. you need to make sure they're actually local dimming, and that there's a decent amount of LED's. there'll never be even close to the amount of pixels, but the more the better. And sony's top end models got RGB backlit LED as well, which almost gives it Plasma quality picture according to some.

Untill then, if Quality is what you're after. go for plasma. as a bonus you get a better picture and you get it cheaper.

At 100,000 MTBF for LED backlit TVs, I am intrigued at what the MTBF is for a plasma based TV in comparison.

The post I replied to was stating that LED TVs have significantly lower lifetime. This seems like a false statement to me given the longevity of LEDs.

HawkMan    5,232

At 100,000 MTBF for LED backlit TVs, I am intrigued at what the MTBF is for a plasma based TV in comparison.

The post I replied to was stating that LED TVs have significantly lower lifetime. This seems like a false statement to me given the longevity of LEDs.

Well since LED's never really die. However, would you consider 50% light working ?

Julius Caro    55

What? No. I've always read that LEDs last longer, and that CCFL was limiting the lifetime of LCD screens

Electric Jolt    12

Save up for a couple of years, at that time OLED screens will be out and those should have 3D support as well. It's a sweet screen technology. :) I have a Zune HD.

(Spork)    87

Save up for a couple of years, at that time OLED screens will be out and those should have 3D support as well. It's a sweet screen technology. :) I have a Zune HD.

way to be helpful :no: