"I have seen the future, and it is GNOME 3"

Syanide

Honestly, their activities button only seems to be what the windows start menu was with Vista, and partly with XP.

so... welcome after...

all he seems fascinated with is awesome new graphical effects. which again are useless. they may be pretty, but in the end after a few uses, they're just annoying and take time away from other things.

Also what's the deal with being over hyped about multiple desktops. the need to use multiple desktops shows a clear fault in the usability design of the task manager so you need to divide it to manage your tasks. Personally, I'd rather have mIRC with proper MDI windows than have a separate desktop I have to switch to outside of the regular task manager switching in order to have multiple irc windows visible, and be able to easily make them all visible(on top) at once.

Activities integrated with Zeitgesit is anything but Windows Start button.

As for multiple desktops, I find it easier to reorganize workspaces with similar programs , sort of like twitter and im on one, browsers on second, word and spreadsheets on third etc. Plus with the preview when activity button hit i's much easier to see all the windows, and it pretty much beats any other solution with just one workspace.

Where's the eye candy? No great transparency, ugly dark color, kinda sucks imo.

OMG, and when people show Compiz to Windows users, then it sucks because it's 'too much'. The themes are yet to come (there's a handful of them now - not the GTK+ ones, the shell themes), and I guess the RGBA GTK+ widgets will start working properly for all the people obsessed with transparency soon enough.

+Raphaël G.

I'm quite impressed! I'll keep an eye on how things develop in the following months.

Brandon Live

Was this an April Fools joke?

Good god that looks awful. All the talk in the quoted post about it being "revolutionary" is hilarious in the context of a screenshot that looks like an uglified Start Menu.

• Like 1
+Frank B.

Was this an April Fools joke?

Good god that looks awful. All the talk in the quoted post about it being "revolutionary" is hilarious in the context of a screenshot that looks like an uglified Start Menu.

No - that's how the Gnome project envisions their future UI. Show the screenshot the UX team as inspiration for Windows 8, would you?

(Just kidding.)

DomZ

After watching the videos, the screenshot certainly doesn't do it justice. The zeitgiest program seems to be at the core of everything, looging everything you open, when, how many times, what other apps were open, who you were talking too and builds relationships from that which means finding things is easiest. What was that song that came on random when I was chatting to that person? Where's all the files related to this project I am working on? Problems not easilly solved on any current OS which this system trys to fix. I like the idea of adding tags to files, so they could be scattered over a file system but you can still easily view them all. Would mean you wouldn't have to rely on folder structure less.

It certainly seems like the easiest use of multiple desktops yet, I like the way it snaps you out of what your doing when you essentially want to do something so you can focus on what app you want open, or what desktop you want to be on. When I used to be hardcore linux user I never really used multiple desktops because it was too hard to manage and remember where things were, the way it arranges the windows on each desktop so you can see exactly what is on each is good.

I'm also glad they're attempting a new file manager. It's one of the most important things about any OS, and to be honest I have issues with everyone across all OS's at the moment.

Will all of this be too ambitious? I don't know. But when it hits a later milestone I'll have to install it and have a play.

HawkMan

Activities integrated with Zeitgesit is anything but Windows Start button.

As for multiple desktops, I find it easier to reorganize workspaces with similar programs , sort of like twitter and im on one, browsers on second, word and spreadsheets on third etc. Plus with the preview when activity button hit i's much easier to see all the windows, and it pretty much beats any other solution with just one workspace.

OMG, and when people show Compiz to Windows users, then it sucks because it's 'too much'. The themes are yet to come (there's a handful of them now - not the GTK+ ones, the shell themes), and I guess the RGBA GTK+ widgets will start working properly for all the people obsessed with transparency soon enough.

I looked at the videos and was completely unimpressed.

it's like a less powerful version of windows vista and windows 7 as far as the search and start button goes, the relation crap seems pretty much utterly useless, especially since it's all very messy. and completely integrated.

and in mhy last post I complained about the use of desktops/virtual desktops to work around a broken task manager adding a second layer to task switching. and they went and made it WORSE!... I mean seriously. the mouse clicks and mouse movement required to switch between all those desktops.. something that shouldn't be at all necessary with a decent window manager.

I was actually expecting and hoping the videos would impress me... they didn't... you would have thought with them only needing to catch up and MS already having done so much of the groundwork for the next step in desktop evolution they'd be able to be a lot closer if not be able to take a step beyond what they have done... instead they went way off the path and screwed up majorly by continuing to work on a broken paradox. They need to drop virtual desktop from the task manager completely, sure keep them on the back and for those who want them. but drop them from the top of the dev queue and make a proper working task manager that don't require virtual desktops as a workaround sinc eht task manager itself can't do the job.

+virtorio

I've seen my future, and it doesn't include GNOME 3.

I like the Activity Journal, but the rest of it is, well, pretty terrible.

.Neo

Every time something Linux related claims to introduce something that will revolutionize the user experience it ends up being a big let down. The theme change of Ubuntu 10 turned out to be less than exiting and so is this by the looks of it.

Rob2687

Don't worry one of these days something so revolutionary will happen that will it cause Microsoft and Apple to immediately drop their pantaloons, open their butt cheeks and feel the wrath of Linux.

.Neo

Haven't people been saying that for years now? Every year is the "year of Linux" yet it never actually happens. :p

+Frank B.

Haven't people been saying that for years now? Every year is the "year of Linux" yet it never actually happens. :p

It's been the year of Linux on the desktop since 1997. And look how successful it is. A whole percent of market share.

Buzz99

This is very interesting. Fresh air to the desktop, I like it, yes.

brentaal
A whole percent of market share.

Are you sure about that?

+Frank B.

Are you sure about that?

Yes, I am.

post-1302-1270502091153.png

Lechio

It's been the year of Linux on the desktop since 1997. And look how successful it is. A whole percent of market share.

Those numbers that show one percent of adoption of Linux on the desktop are hilarious to say the least. Just look at the numbers of computers that run Linux on a country like China... That country alone makes up for far more than 1%. A pure joke.

brentaal
Just look at the numbers of computers that run Linux on a country like China...

What numbers?

+Frank B.

Those numbers that show one percent of adoption of Linux on the desktop are hilarious to say the least. Just look at the numbers of computers that run Linux on a country like China... That country alone makes up for far more than 1%. A pure joke.

Do you have any statistics to back up your claims?

Lechio

What numbers?

Do you have any statistics to back up your claims?

Not numbers from StatCounter or Netcraft, that's for sure.

brentaal

Not numbers from StatCounter or Netcraft, that's for sure.

I asked "What numbers?", surely you can provide said numbers?

Lechio

I asked "What numbers?", surely you can provide said numbers?

Well let's see: http://w3counter.com/globalstats.php

W3 counter more than doubles those numbers, showing Linux with 2.34% of usage.

Of course, the methods used are more than questionable in all of the places that supply these numbers.

HawkMan

Well let's see: http://w3counter.com/globalstats.php

W3 counter more than doubles those numbers, showing Linux with 2.34% of usage.

Of course, the methods used are more than questionable in all of the places that supply these numbers.

yeah, they are, they're definately not that high .

and you do realize, and let's simplify here since you don't seem to grasp math to well.

Free world: 1 linux users vs 99 windows users = 1% linux

China: 10 linux users vs 990 pirated windows users = 1% linux.

yes, there's a lot more linux users in china. but we're talkign percentages, pure numbers don't make those any higher.

And this example here of what linux considers next generation. which is less than what windows had years ago, with some extra complicated workaround double layer solutions like virtual desktops on top. That's what's keepign linux down. That and the fact the the corporate world would rather not deal with with.

Syanide

and in mhy last post I complained about the use of desktops/virtual desktops to work around a broken task manager adding a second layer to task switching. and they went and made it WORSE!... I mean seriously. the mouse clicks and mouse movement required to switch between all those desktops.. something that shouldn't be at all necessary with a decent window manager.

What mouse and click movements? What second layer?

You show me an easy way to go through 20 open windows on without a mouse click or keyboard stroke on Windows. Go ahead.

With gnome shell, I can have those 20 windows scattered on a number of workspaces I choose, and each workspace will show image previews of every window open. And I don't even need to click to get to Activities (where you see workspaces), it is edge-bound, I only need to position the mouse to upper left corner of the screen.

Practical example: I'm typing this and I have 19 other windows open. It takes me 2 seconds and one mouse click to go to any other open window of my choice.

Case and point:

gnomeshelllowquality.jpg

So please, unless you've used it, don't diss it, and as someone who's spent years on Windows, I can honestly say that nothing on Windows comes even close to advanced window managers like Compiz, Mutter or Kwin, from a usability standpoint. There are much more valid points to use if you want to criticise Gnome 3, like the horrid application menu :D

sullysnet

anything to move the desktop forward I think it great. It gives people ideas that at some point are made better.

HawkMan

What mouse and click movements? What second layer?

You show me an easy way to go through 20 open windows on without a mouse click or keyboard stroke on Windows. Go ahead.

With gnome shell, I can have those 20 windows scattered on a number of workspaces I choose, and each workspace will show image previews of every window open. And I don't even need to click to get to Activities (where you see workspaces), it is edge-bound, I only need to position the mouse to upper left corner of the screen.

Practical example: I'm typing this and I have 19 other windows open. It takes me 2 seconds and one mouse click to go to any other open window of my choice.

Virtual deskltops it's a second layer

you have one layer of desktops, and then the desktops have windows.

That's two layers you need to navigate, instead of just havign one well designed task manager layer.

And as for yoru question. Well my windows 7 superbar does a pretty damn good job of letting my navigate 20+ windows without needing and extra workaround layer or desktops.

And as I said, thos new virtual desktops they showed had an an enormous amount of extra clicks and mouse travel compared to the simple solutions available today. that's not an improvement. and the fact they need virtual desktops to manage their widnows because the task manager can't do it, is already a sign of a failed design.

Are you actually saying, that it's better, to

click1: click on the VD icon(after you find it

Click2: look over the VD's locate the one you want, click that.

click3: click the correct app on the taskbar of that VD to open(brign to front) the window you want.

As opposed to the one or two much quicker click the superbar requires you to do to get any window you desire. one click if it's a single windows application, instantly available, two clicks if it's got multiple windows, actually that still may be only one click though... especially if you turn down the hoverdelay. And as a bonus, if you just want to check on something in that window. The aero peak feature of the superbar, don't require any clicks at all, and you can have a quick peak in less than a second. Whereas in this awesome new Gnome, you would have to navigate though all those steps to the desktop and app. and then all the way back again.

this is NOT evolution or improvement.

seta-san

I couldn't disagree more.

i couldn't disagree more with you. I'm 25 my bro is 26. he freaks out when the location of an icon changes on his desktop. I can't image what would happen if we changed his desktop.