"I have seen the future, and it is GNOME 3"

Not only that, but also the fact that people are looking at something that's not the entire picture, and making conclusions. With Zeitgeist integrated, the current 'Activities' will only then be worthy of the name, right now it does look like a bunch or recent documents, places, and applications (hence, 'Start menu ripoff').

Like this comment right here:

so where did I draw a conclusion? Didn't I say i have to try it?

THe point is, the first post (and your comments) made it sound like they came up with a completely new desktop paradigma, which this is obviously not. So therefore, i'm dissapointed without even having tried the damn thing

I disagree with the second part, though. I don't see anything taken from OS X and Windows, unless you go to certain length and say any application menu implementation is a Start menu rip-off, and any panel on top of the screen is an OS X rip off.

This is what a Mac OS X Stack with scroll bar looks like:

screenshot20100407at004.png

Here's Gnome 3:

screenshot20100407at003.png

Here's what the Mac OS X Exposé labels look like:

Here's Gnome 3:

And then there is the rip-off of the Dashboard close button... Wouldn't be surprised if they actually took the image from Mac OS X:

screenshot20100406at220.png

You honestly don't see anything (poorly) taken from Mac OS X here? :/ And this is from just two screen shots you posted...

1. You can also say that it rips off iPhone or any file manager because it has a bunch of icons in a grid, and I don't see how anyone can claim they invented a huge amount of icons in a grid :D

TBH, I think the application menu sucks, current gnome menu or the 'Find' field in gnome shell is much more usable, I hope they will address that and fix this mess, and my wet dream would be that they implement gnome do functions in the find field.

2. Yes, it looks like Expose. But it's a part of a bigger picture (activities), so cropping the scale (aka expose) function is not really fair. I could go around and say Spaces on Mac are virtual desktop rip off, which have been on Linux and others since the dawn of time, but that doesn't mean Spaces automatically suck because of it.

3. It's a button. I'll admit they could have done a better job at theming it, but it might as well be a coincidence, since the theme is dark, and they need white outlines.

1. You can also say that it rips off iPhone or any file manager because it has a bunch of icons in a grid, and I don't see how anyone can claim they invented a huge amount of icons in a grid :D

It's not about it being a grid, it's about the the background appearance and scroll bar that look extremely similar to Mac OS X'. Just not as good...

FYI, the iPhone runs on Mac OS X...

2. Yes, it looks like Expose. But it's a part of a bigger picture (activities), so cropping the scale (aka expose) function is not really fair. I could go around and say Spaces on Mac are virtual desktop rip off, which have been on Linux and others since the dawn of time, but that doesn't mean Spaces automatically suck because of it.

Again, it's about the appearance they gave to the labels. It tries to mimic Mac OS X. Spaces is implemented in a totally different way that doesn't try to look like the Linux counterpart.

3. It's a button. I'll admit they could have done a better job at theming it, but it might as well be a coincidence, since the theme is dark, and they need white outlines.

It's a button that looks 100% identical to the one used by Mac OS X. Like I said, I wouldn't be surprised if they actually ripped it from the Dock.app's resources folder.

I know what iPhone runs, but I still consider too many of the things there just too general to claim they're copied, like the scrollbars or the labels. But yes, I know when it's definitely arguable, so I will stop being a fanboy and admit they could have done a better job at customizing it.

Regarding that Zeitgeist thing, does it create those relationships out of everything I do, automatically? Like, only mentioning to person I am chatting with that I like the song currently playing will create a relationship between the song and the contact?

If that's the design, it will be terrible. It will add lot of noise to the results when related stuff is searched for. Half a year down the line, if I see that that the contact and the song are related, I will be scratching my head as to how they are so? If this is the design they wish to follow, they should also log enough context to make sense of how they are related.

And not to mention, this will mandate a pr0n mode in the OS too. :-P

Regarding that Zeitgeist thing, does it create those relationships out of everything I do, automatically? Like, only mentioning to person I am chatting with that I like the song currently playing will create a relationship between the song and the contact?

If that's the design, it will be terrible. It will add lot of noise to the results when related stuff is searched for. Half a year down the line, if I see that that the contact and the song are related, I will be scratching my head as to how they are so? If this is the design they wish to follow, they should also log enough context to make sense of how they are related.

And not to mention, this will mandate a pr0n mode in the OS too. :-P

No, if you're chatting with someone, say a co-worker, and he sends you a *.doc file, Zeitgeist will log when you open the file, and who was your active contact at the moment, thus creating a relationship and entering it in Activity Journal (it might also log which web page you looked at the moment, and that page might be something related to the very document you opened... all in all, in work environments this feature will make a lot of lives easier).

Note that the 'IM <-> Activity Journal' relation is established only if you are chatting via Empathy (Gnome's default IM client), because Zeitgeist interacts with Telepathy (framework which Empathy uses).

And I don't think Zeitgeist logs hidden files/folders, plus I think it's possible to limit its interaction with the OS (otherwise yes, they would be doomed :D).

the development is only in a very immature state right now, so hold the opinions until we actually see solid progress in terms of their GUI template design.

I guess there are probably some good ideas there and I'd have to try it, but I can't stand the current trend of over-engineering two concepts that are full of fail:

-The start menu (or whatever you call it).

-The task bar.

Gnome3 seems to be, at the very least, guilty of the former.

The future looks kinda iPhoney to me. I'll stick to the here and now.

heck that 'icon panel' thing in the screenshot looks abit like an iphone to me too...

It has some nice elements; I like the multiple desktop/workspace feature with the expose-like overview and ability to move windows between them. Organizationally that's very nice, as I often find myself closing applications in windows just to make my workspace neater and easier to grok even though I have a ton of memory and could benefit from broader multitasking. On the other hand, the big black menu on the left is almost as bad as the Vista/7 start menu. Just a big mess with a search/find feature tacked on, which is occasionally convenient but is mostly an excuse not to actually design a UI that elegantly organizes data and applications the way the user would like.

As far as UI stuff goes I would really like to see more innovation in terms of file management. Every OS developer should look at Directory Opus and copy it, it's the only file manager worth using due to its stand-apart feature: true customizability. Customizability has to do with letting the user change the way he interacts with a program, not changing the hue of the pointlessly semi-transparent 10-pixel-wide window border.

As far as UI stuff goes I would really like to see more innovation in terms of file management. Every OS developer should look at Directory Opus and copy it, it's the only file manager worth using due to its stand-apart feature: true customizability. Customizability has to do with letting the user change the way he interacts with a program, not changing the hue of the pointlessly semi-transparent 10-pixel-wide window border.

Actually it doesn't.

And you can do that on windows, it's called shell replacements, They're easy to install.

But users don't want to change the way their OS works. that's confusing, they want it to work the way they know it does. and be able to customize it so it's "theirs" by looks. in that way, Vista and 7 is superior. anyone can change the UI to whatever they want. ANY color, ANY transparency. That's more than enough for regular people.

Even if they where to officially add themes support. then you run into the too much change thing again, not to mention that 99.999% of user made themes are utter crap. Granted it's become a lot better lately. but that's only because 95% of the themes are slight(and I mean REALLY slight) variations of Aero.

I just saw this thread and I seriously have to ask from the thread title...

Is this a troll-thread?

Hardly. It is posted in the Linux section, about the future of a Linux UI (GNOME).

Looks good, but that's what happened to KDE4 before it hit, and guess what a load of crap that and Amarok 2 were (and still are) when they hit. I pray the GNOME devs don't make the same mistake!

Looks good, but that's what happened to KDE4 before it hit, and guess what a load of crap that and Amarok 2 were (and still are) when they hit. I pray the GNOME devs don't make the same mistake!

There's always Xfce or LXDE, I suppose. I agree with you on KDE. It's still messed up.

Linux Journal Rates Amarok 2.3.0 and Exaile as the two best players at the moment! Just as a matter of interest!

Linux Journal Rates Amarok 2.3.0 and Exaile as the two best players at the moment! Just as a matter of interest!

Is there any particular reason why almost every single application on Linux has to have a horrendous interface like that? I honestly don't get it... There must be people around that are talented enough to give this OS and its applications a stunning looking interface? By that I mean instead of something that by the looks of it escaped from an alternate timeline where a nuclear war broke out in 1998...

I can definitely see the potential of Linux distributions like Ubuntu, but the interface has such a long way to go.

^ Are you talking about the theme in the screenshots or the UI? Exaile's UI is probably my favorite of all the players I've ever used, be it Mac, Windows or Linux.

Both theme + UI layout. It looks plain, blunt with zero refinement.

Well, I see it this way: clutter-free, usable and quickly managable.

As for the theme, it's easy to change to something else.

exaileelementary.png

(I like this one)