Your thoughts on Ubuntu 10.04 Beta 1

I've got it running on two PC's at the minute, My home one with an ATi 5770 and at work with a 9800GTX - The nvidia box runs beautifully. The ATi drivers are a little slack atm and I can only get a maximum of 800x600 with no 3d acceleration

I really like it and am liking the direction they are taking it. I just wish the ATi drivers would work a little better :p

Did you read my post? Or just the first line?

I've read it as a whole. You speak of a "couple of oddballs" while in fact the majority of the new desktop pictures use non-standard resolutions.

I'm still waiting for him to make Mint a work of art at all! :o

Honestly I have been following Ubuntu and where it's headed and have been pretty intrigued in the past. I've even tried out the new beta 10.04, and was pretty disappointed. But since I've upgraded from Windows XP to Windows 7 and have seen where that's headed, I've lost quite a bit of interest in Linux again.

I'm having trouble with Synaptic installing updates. It seems to have a memory leak? My computer slows to being almost unusable to the point my music will even cut out and come back on its own. If just do apt-get upgrade it works fine though.

I'm still waiting for him to make Mint a work of art at all! :o

I guess one man's art is another man's trash.

Honestly I have been following Ubuntu and where it's headed and have been pretty intrigued in the past. I've even tried out the new beta 10.04, and was pretty disappointed. But since I've upgraded from Windows XP to Windows 7 and have seen where that's headed, I've lost quite a bit of interest in Linux again.

I love Linux but I find myself using Windows 7 more and more, It's a great OS.

I am trying out Ubuntu again after about a year with Arch. I really like what they are doing with Notification Area (and Me Menu). The color change is also nicer than the brown and orange they have become known for using. The boot speed is of course a plus, but I like having my GRUB menu (I removed hiddenmenu and changed the colors to match what Arch had). Arch was a lot better of an experience, but it is nice to use something that has everything I need (and things I don't) and just works.

Love it, but Flash's poor performance (under any distro, I'm assuming) kills it for me. I use Flash way too often to be able to deal with the obvious performance hit when compared to the Windows alternative. I'm so bummed by this fact, too, cause I, otherwise, really really liked Ubuntu.

I have just figured out why I couldn't install it on my laptop, 1 day before release !

I have never been a big fan of linux, but the past few months I have started to get really into it, It feels like once I learn how to program it, how to use the commands, terminal, how to install stuff without googling all day, this could become my new addiction :D

It doesn't even see my SATA controller O_o...9.10 works great though! Thanks for taking out my drivers ... guess I'll update from the package manager...seems like with all Ubuntu releases I have to do that...so I am not surprised. If you are curious I am using an EVGA i680 SLI board...I should probably buy a good hardware SATA raid card to add to it then I wouldn't have this problem.

This will probably be the first Ubuntu version I'm skipping since Hardy. I've downloaded and tried the RC, and it looks like the only major changes are the new themes and a built-in Twitter client. I'm really beginning to feel sorry for the tech writers who'll have to think of how to churn out the customary essay for their publications when there's so little to write about.

Plus, the new theme is awful. I feel like I'm staring at a handful of M&Ms. And the Radiance theme is a wee bit too bright for my taste. But otherwise, I guess it's the same old Ubuntu; if you're already sold, it won't put you off, if you're not, it offers no compelling new stuff either.

Ahh, I've got my home installation working now. Wow running perfect (everything on high) my only problem is that if I run anything full screen like Wow or the screensaver it screws over the whole PC and I have to reboot. My second screen is connected via HDMI so I'm assuming this maybe the issue. Wow is windowed atm and I've disabled the screensaver

It doesn't even see my SATA controller O_o...9.10 works great though! Thanks for taking out my drivers ... guess I'll update from the package manager...seems like with all Ubuntu releases I have to do that...so I am not surprised. If you are curious I am using an EVGA i680 SLI board...I should probably buy a good hardware SATA raid card to add to it then I wouldn't have this problem.

I'm pretty sure that's classed as a regression and should be reported. I'm getting a similar issue with my wireless lan, 9.10 is flawless yet 10.04 provides constant failure to renew IP via DHCP.

Yes, in fact the packages in the repos right now are probably already the final release packages. I don't think there will be any updates between now and then. There have only been a few updates in the past week or so anyways.

So I ran an update today.

As a plus when I activate effects and advanced or custom effects, and I get the "do you want to keep these settings" window, it doesn't freeze up when I click yes or no anymore, or loose window titlebars. However, even when I select yes, it still doesn't actually change to an accelerated desktop and turn on the effects. if I close the appearance window and open it again, it still stuck on basic.

and yes I am running the working full correct nvidia drivers.

I also tried adding KDE to my install to check how that worked. Well they still don't ( think it used to be there some time WAAAY back) have a combined "this is all you need for KDE" package. You get most you need when you click it sure, but there's still some stuff you need to grab and it doesn't really seem to work so there's some more obscure stuff you need, They seriously need to add some group packages like "KDE Minimum" and "KDE everything and then some" packages.

Also I see they added the darkening of the desktop to the "UAC" prompt now. not only does Ubuntu nag more than a badly configured RTM version of Vista, the whole secure desktop effect is about as fast as booting vista on a 386.

Power management is horrible, you only have some basic settings. not allowing me to even set how long until the display dims on idle. It's one thing to make it simple for the regular people. but seriously.

Of course #ubuntu/#ubuntu+1 is the same helpful irc channels as always :rolleyes:

There are things I really like about ubuntu. but there's also some really annoying bugs and issues.

For now I think I'll try PCLinuxOS on this box and see if I have better luck. last time I tried if (befre the 2009 version) it worked really great, found more ahrdware by default, and no issues with accelerated desktops. So I'll check if the rest of the 2010 version matches up with the rest of Ubuntu 10.04

^ sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

Did it through synaptic, and didn't really work. it works but it doesn't really work.

then again, Ubuntu keeps throwing me kernel errors in gnome too. so I don't trust Ubuntu all too much as it is anyway.

If I'm not too happy after I try PCLOS I'll give it another try after it matures a bit.

i like the new ubuntu, the themes are nice, its nearly what i want out of a desktop os.

i guess the biggest issue for me is that i cant play my windows based games on it :p

plus i noticed a few glitches here and there, maybe thats cuz its a beta though, i might try out the final in a few days.

I tried kubuntu out too, really dont like KDE though, its a bit ugly lol.

@HawkMan: :/ I've installed it using that command numerous times, always worked.

@Colin-uk: I'm actually starting to think Qt apps are better looking than GTK ones. Seems like it's gone further than GTK. As for KDE, that's a matter of personal preference, I guess. I still prefer Gnome.

One thing I noticed is my laptop fan never shuts off. it's always on. and it always runs hotter. People have said in this thread that it's a Kernel issue. Aside from Debian... What other Distro's don't have this issue?. Ubuntu runs about 15 degree's higher than in windows and my laptop fan is never on as often.. Not sure what the issue is going on here but it's been like this since like 8.04.. Even on my Desktop it ran hot. It's ridiculous.

Keep in mind. I don't use Compiz. Just Metacity Compositing and Docky

@HawkMan: :/ I've installed it using that command numerous times, always worked.

@Colin-uk: I'm actually starting to think Qt apps are better looking than GTK ones. Seems like it's gone further than GTK. As for KDE, that's a matter of personal preference, I guess. I still prefer Gnome.

I wish Linux would all agree on one, very powerful widget setup and stick with it. I'm tired of apps looking inconsistent cuz half of em are GTK, half of em are QT.. and some really ugly ones using TCL/TK.

so i gave the new build a try and i uninstalled it in less than 2 hours. not user friendly at all, do they ever learn? hard time with getting my nvidia drivers to work right, bad resolution, couldn't change my mouse cursor after installing the theme. just horrid IMO. they sure got android right, why not linux? sorry but it's my opinion, that's the last time i try linux.