• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

iPhone OS 4.0: Hopes and Predictions

Tech Star    254

I just read this on Gizmodo about their hopes and predictions for the next version of the OS and I was wondering what you guys wanted in the next OS.

Personally I would love multi-tasking with some applications, better notifications as PUSH notifications are worthless, and hopefully they can spruce up the UI somehow to be like the iPad's and/or even more.

What do you guys want?

Stetson    180

- Some improvements to the home screen, like some way to categorize or go straight to a specific page.

Maybe also some sort of widgets for weather etc. rather than just static app icons.

- A much improved notification system. Notifications shouldn't interrupt you with a modal popup.

You should get maybe a chime/vibration and an icon in the toolbar that blinks for a second, then you should be able to pull down a full list of recent notifications.

- A better lock screen with widgets and better notifications.

- Some sort of mulitasking. The ability for music apps to tie in to the iPod controls to provide audio plus some better application state saving would actually be enough for 99.9% of users.

PyX    140

- some better application state saving

Hm, what do you mean? My apps save fine here. 3rd party apps don't always save, but it's up to the developers to do this man. I agree with the rest that you've said and would add :

- Smart playlist bug finally fixed, after about 7 months ?

- Possibility to hold the + and - buttons on the earphones to skim through a song.

- A radio application, or radio features in the iPod application. You know, like the iPod nano. Would work with the radio antenna apparently found on iPhone 3G and 3GS and/or the upcoming model.

- Possibility to play a song from the iPod application after a timer expires in the Clock application. Now I can only play sounds, this is ridiculous. Just because of that, it's not my iPhone who wakes me up in the morning. Also, possibility to play the radio when the timer expires, with the new radio feature. Downloading an app for that is NOT a possibility because the iPhone does not yet support multi-tasking.

- Fixed Vocal command (at least for the french language). When I say "jouer un morceau de........ Pink Floyd", it mixes french and english, and has a hard time to distinguish the Pink Floyd part. It's gonna play anything else but Pink Floyd.

- GPS localization is awfully long, why? For like 20 seconds I see a huge circle where I am supposed to be, then my real position appears and the moves 10 meters away. I don't want to wait 25 seconds for the app to tell me where I am...

- A dictionary application. There is one in OS X, please put the same on the iPhone.

- Possibility to put contacts on the Home Page maybe? Like in Windows 7 Mobile. Honestly, I don't care about this feature at all, but maybe it would be useful. It's hard to say.

- A better Calculator application. When I add a parenthesis, I want to see it appear on the screen of the calculator. You know, like those recent calculators that cost no more than 20 bucks. It's so much better this way... Maybe they would need to add a second line to display the result.

- I never got why the iPod has a Videos application while on the iPhone, they are in the "iPod" application. Some unifying is needed here. Maybe the iPhone should have a Music and a Videos app, or the iPod should have the iPod app. I don't know.

Rob2687    72

Electric shaver.

Stetson    180

Hm, what do you mean? My apps save fine here. 3rd party apps don't always save, but it's up to the developers to do this man. I agree with the rest that you've said and would add :

I know that a lot of them do already, the good developers that follow the guidelines implement this already, but I think that a system like Microsoft is using for WP7 might be nice as well, where the OS automatically puts closed apps into hibernation, only actually clearing out of memory/page when it hasn't been used for a while.

Windows7even    17

toaster oven..can opener...no seriously...fm radio functionality would be nice...would say multitasking and flash support but we all know that ain't gonna happen.

Hot    226

If they actually implement the rumored Exposé-style multi-tasking, I would be impressed. I would still not buy an iPhone, as I have no use for one, but I would be very impressed.

PyX    140

I know that a lot of them do already, the good developers that follow the guidelines implement this already, but I think that a system like Microsoft is using for WP7 might be nice as well, where the OS automatically puts closed apps into hibernation, only actually clearing out of memory/page when it hasn't been used for a while.

That's what I thought... But wouldn't it be special when you play games? Let's say you're in the middle of the race, you quit the application and when you go back into it, the race goes on... even if it resumes from a Pause, I'm not sure if it's good to let the developers work on NOT saving the state instead of making them work on saving it. I think Apple chose the good way, but it's just a matter of opinion. We'd have to ask the developers what they think would be right... because I'm not a developer ;)

I'm adding :

- Possibility to have multiple vocal messages in the message box. I'd like to preconfigure those for when I'm in vacations or when there's something special around, and then when it's over, go back to my default message instead of remembering it and re-recording it.

Sulphy    1,442

.... an orangemochachocofrappachino maker????? pinch.gif

Jan    402

I would like to be able to hold the home button and then press either + or - to improve the brightness or lower the brightness. It's so annoying having to leave the app to change the brightness.

A UI overhaul like the iPads.

On the lockscreen you can have multiple backgrounds that fade in and out on a selected amount of time. Also if you hold down on the background all the controls disappear and you have yourself a photo viewer. If you hold down whilst in the Photo viewer you bring up the options like the transition effect, Then tap to go back.

Multitasking like the Palm Pre's. It's already been done an iPhone and it can handle it well.

Improved Safari - Private Browsing whistle.gif, RSS, 10 tabs open at the same time (OH YES!) and also the ability to hide all the controls.

Roger H.    779

I would like to be able to hold the home button and then press either + or - to improve the brightness or lower the brightness. It's so annoying having to leave the app to change the brightness.

A UI overhaul like the iPads.

On the lockscreen you can have multiple backgrounds that fade in and out on a selected amount of time. Also if you hold down on the background all the controls disappear and you have yourself a photo viewer. If you hold down whilst in the Photo viewer you bring up the options like the transition effect, Then tap to go back.

Multitasking like the Palm Pre's. It's already been done an iPhone and it can handle it well.

Improved Safari - Private Browsing whistle.gif, RSS, 10 tabs open at the same time (OH YES!) and also the ability to hide all the controls.

I like those ideas :)

Shadrack    601

I can take a crack at a wish list, but I wouldn't call these predictions:

1. Universal spell checker. Oh God, please...yes. I intentionally try and have auto-complete trigger on a word so that it will correct my spelling. Such a terrible speller. I'm a slave to the red squiggle line.

2. 3rd party app multitasking.

3. Some improvements to Mail.app. Multiple picture attachments. Open and close subfolders (especially for my Exchange server. its annoying how all the folders and subfolders are open by default). Ability to attach files from my idisk, not just link them.

4. Edit and manage all playlists (not just the On the Go, one) in iPod.app. Its not like the UI can't handle it.

Growled    3,881

Nearly everyone I talk to wants multitasking.

bugsbungee    6

iCal access from the SDK. E.g. Create calendar events from my app..

Vice    1,593

1. Multitasking with an Expose UI

2. FM Radio Application (iPhone 3GS has FM Receiver built in)

3. Theme Support (Icons, Backgrounds, Lock Screen etc)

4. Use MP3's from the Phones iPod as Ringtone + Custom SMS/MMS/Email Tones

5. Display current Mail, MMS, Weather and other useful data on the Lock screen

6. Home Screen Pages that can be swiped up and down as-well as Left and Right

7. XML/XHTML Widget system for customized 'mini-apps' on Lockscreen*

*By this I mean when you download a proper application from the App Store like a Twitter client, an IM Client or an RSS Reader it comes with a really low-resource Widget that sits on the lock screen to stream that data. Like an extension of the Push Notification system that doesn't rely on 3rd party servers to mitigate the messages and instead just uses the Phone to create and maintain the IP connections necessary for different data collection. This significantly lowers the monetary burden on developers who wish to create an Internet based application that needs to give you access to data all the time. At the moment if you want to do anything 'web based' for the iPhone that you want to always send/receive data you have to rent a server to emulate the phone being active and push data to the phone periodically. Which although is good for news reports is poor for almost everything else.

SH3K0    1

BlackBerry Messenger <> iPhone instant messaging :whistle:

BajiRav    2,137

Nearly everyone I talk to wants multitasking.

Include me in the group. Push notifications are useless. Just the other day I wanted to call my wife while I was running an app. Nope, couldn't do it, till I quit the app, started a call and re-launched the App...and then the phone dropped the call. pinch.gif

I hope they somehow improve the OS stability. I hate having to reboot the phone every week. Adding multi tasking on top is only going to make it worse.

Jan    402

I hope they somehow improve the OS stability. I hate having to reboot the phone every week. Adding multi tasking on top is only going to make it worse.

THIS!!!

dontocsata    1

I think they should add limited multi-tasking. Say 2 or 3 third party apps. That way you can: listen to Slacker, use a random app, and switch to a browser/wikipedia to look up something real quick. And you should always be able to switch to Phone and Messaging without quitting the current app. I think this would cover 99% of situations.

PyX    140

Wow, I rebooted like 4-5 times in just over 3 years... It's certainly not the OS, I can tell you.

Ayepecks    117

I can't see them adding multitasking if the iPad didn't have it, personally... unless they're going to update both simultaneously, which seems odd since the iPad just launched.

Stetson    180

I can't see them adding multitasking if the iPad didn't have it, personally... unless they're going to update both simultaneously, which seems odd since the iPad just launched.

The update won't be released at the event, if anything is released it will just be a beta for registered developers. The actual update won't come out until probably late June or July when the next iPhone goes on sale.

PyX    140

Well even if no beta is released, it sets the table for the developers. They will be able to draw their application on paper and then make it reality when betas are out ;)

jafoman    8

Wow, I rebooted like 4-5 times in just over 3 years... It's certainly not the OS, I can tell you.

I have no idea how often I've rebooted, but my last reboot was 45 days ago. It's true though that rebooting is sometimes necessary to clear up some issues. No badly programmed app should cause you to have to reboot the phone. So in that respect, it is an OS issue. However, I think the vast majority of users don't have to reboot their phone every week. I know neither my wife's nor mine have ever needed weekly reboots.

Howling Wind    6

Multitasking.

Thank you that is all.