• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

iPhone OS 4.0: Hopes and Predictions

Elliott    235

Some interesting questions were asked...

Q: How do you close applications when multitasking? A: (Scott) You don't have to. The user just uses things and doesn't ever have to worry about it. (Steve) It's like we said on the iPad, if you see a stylus, they blew it. In multitasking, if you see a task manager... they blew it. Users shouldn't ever have to think about it.

I was wondering. I'm downloading it now, so I'll be able to attest to how good or bad it is. :p Unfortunately, because of the NDA, I'm going to tread lightly on how much information I share.

Screen%20shot%202010-04-08%20at%202.41.03%20PM.png

Hell-In-A-Handbasket    277

so like whats currently in the apps, which i already dont like and remove the app that does that currently.

so will this iAd thing make it for Every App, or just ones that choose

Which then expanded in to this when clicked:

Elliott    235

so like whats currently in the apps, which i already dont like and remove the app that does that currently.

so will this iAd thing make it for Every App, or just ones that choose

Ones that choose to include it.

Vice    1,593

I am so, SO, SO ANNOYED.

NO MULTITASKING ON THE IPHONE 3G!?!!? IT CAN SUPPORT IT SO WHY ********************************************** MOTHE*************STEVE CAN SU*************************** NOT?

iPhone 3G = 128MB of RAM

iPhone 3GS = 256MB of RAM

Apple is obviously aiming for 256MB. You know as well as I do that if you run a 3rd party multitasking application on the iPhone 3G that it quickly becomes sluggish with average sized apps. The iPhone 3GS however doesn't until you open quite a few.

I'm an iPhone 3GS 32GB owner. So this update really has me happy. I've been using Multitasking via jailbreak for quite a while but it doesn't compare to the full system wide integration they have designed like the VoIP skype bars and lock-screen controls for audio applications. In one word: Awesome

+KibosJ    96

I was wondering. I'm downloading it now, so I'll be able to attest to how good or bad it is. :p Unfortunately, because of the NDA, I'm going to tread lightly on how much information I share.

You will be nice though and share as much as possible right? :D

Elliott    235

You will be nice though and share as much as possible right? :D

I'll try. :p Definitely won't have any screenshots though. Even though Apple showed off most of the features themselves, those are a big Apple NDA no-no. :laugh:

Vice    1,593

I'm sure images of the entire OS will be up on all good image hosting services within the hour anyway.

Jan    402

Screen%20shot%202010-04-08%20at%202.41.03%20PM.png

Apple told me that you can share ALL the info with EgyptianDuck, It's because he's special whistle.gif

+KibosJ    96

I'll try. :p Definitely won't have any screenshots though. Even though Apple showed off most of the features themselves, those are a big Apple NDA no-no. :laugh:

:D I'm sure we know pretty much all we need to anyway :)

I'm sure images of the entire OS will be up on all good image hosting services within the hour anyway.

Suppose that is true :) *waits*

.Markus    194

I am so, SO, SO ANNOYED.

NO MULTITASKING ON THE IPHONE 3G!?!!? IT CAN SUPPORT IT SO WHY ********************************************** MOTHE*************STEVE CAN SU*************************** NOT?

Easy fella, there has to be some incentive from Apple's side for 2G/3G users to upgrade to newer hardware.

The 4.0 update is complimentary, and will include some functions for us 3G users (yes, I'm one aswell)

However, to get all functions you have to get the new iPhone which comes out this summer or a 3Gs.

You don't see Nokia, SonyEricsson or Blackberry releasing new software with new functions every year for 2-3 year old phones do you?

acnpt    39

I'm guessing it must wait until ram is low, then start closing older applications which aren't 'running'.

Check out the Spellcheck too!.

AJerman    761

Well, my developer account expired, and I'm going to go more towards Android development now, so I haven't renewed. Guess I won't get to play with this one early unless I can find a friend to add my phone to their account. iPhone NDAs have been worthless to this point though, so I imagine by the end of the night we'll know everything there is to know about the first build.

Elliott    235

I'm guessing it must wait until ram is low, then start closing older applications which aren't 'running'.

That's what I'm thinking. Updating the firmware now, so I'll know more soon.

Check out the Spellcheck too!.

If it's anything like the iPad's spellchecking, it'll work pretty well. :D

First impressions: that god awful background is default. :pinch:

Elliott    235

Like I thought: multitasking isn't really multitasking. It's basically a fast app switcher. Apps will have to make sure to implement save-state features. For instance, switching from Rock Band and switching back doesn't save the game you were playing in Rock Band.

Apps can be taken off the multitasking bar by just holding them until they wiggle and then pressing a little red minus circle where the "black x circle" would usually be when moving apps around.

Edit: Actually, I think apps just have to be made multitasking aware (probably so that Apple can make sure developers aren't abusing it when they don't need to be), it seems. You can actually "quit" Safari or Settings and it'll be purged from memory, but if they're "running", they'll pop up in an instant.

ienhz    0

So I'm guessing if you run an IM app and "switch" out of it, you'll get signed out?

Elliott    235

So I'm guessing if you run an IM app and "switch" out of it, you'll get signed out?

Well, IM apps built for the iPhone right now keep you signed in (on a central server) and use push notifications to alert you of new IMs while the app is closed. I imagine that this'll just make it faster to switch back into the app and respond (though it wasn't sluggish on a well-built app anyway).

Stetson    180

Something that is a bit disappointing is that they seem to be keeping the pop-up window style notifications. This sort of works on the iPhone-size devices, but it seems really stupid on the iPad to have your entire screen interrupted by a tiny window telling you about breaking news or an IM.

Elliott    235

Something that is a bit disappointing is that they seem to be keeping the pop-up window style notifications. This sort of works on the iPhone-size devices, but it seems really stupid on the iPad to have your entire screen interrupted by a tiny window telling you about breaking news or an IM.

Yea, I'm miffed by this too. I'm hoping that the extra wait time on the iPad version is partially so they can implement a new notification system. Just seems stupid.

SMELTN    142

Well, IM apps built for the iPhone right now keep you signed in (on a central server) and use push notifications to alert you of new IMs while the app is closed. I imagine that this'll just make it faster to switch back into the app and respond (though it wasn't sluggish on a well-built app anyway).

Correct. I use Beejive and it works just like that. The only problem with IM clients, like Beejive is you get the pop up notification of an IM and then when you click reply, it has to load up beejive then go to your chats tab, then load up the IM with a new IM sound again. This should stop the long loading times to wait on the IM program to perform the other tasks, or possibly even give them the ability to add a reply right to the push notification without even having to open the program itself.

My question is, they said UI changes/upgrades, but they didn't show/discuss them. I mean is it going to look different overall?

Elliott    235

My question is, they said UI changes/upgrades, but they didn't show/discuss them. I mean is it going to look different overall?

The only immediate UI change I see is the reflective dock like on the iPad and the ability for a home screen background. I'll keep searching though.

BTW, unified mailbox and threaded conversations are awesome. :D Also, the spell check works very well (just like on the iPad). Underlines misspelled words with red dots (like OS X) and, upon double-tapping the word, let's you replace it with its suggestions. System-wide too.

Jan    402

That's what I'm thinking. Updating the firmware now, so I'll know more soon.

If it's anything like the iPad's spellchecking, it'll work pretty well. :D

First impressions: that god awful background is default. :pinch:

Oh no!! That background is butt ugly!! Yuck!! Disgusting. Why not give us the iPad background. Check if it's there please? And also see if the Wave background is there?

Elliott    235

Oh no!! That background is butt ugly!! Yuck!! Disgusting. Why not give us the iPad background. Check if it's there please? And also see if the Wave background is there?

No and no, but I loaded up my iPhone with the default wallpaper from the iPad and it looks nice though a little scrunched. :p

I imagine they'll change the default wallpaper before release. I don't know what idiot thought that looked good, but it has to go.

Funny side note: After changing the water droplet wallpaper, I can't find it again.

Jan    402

No and no, but I loaded up my iPhone with the default wallpaper from the iPad and it looks nice though a little scrunched. :p

I imagine they'll change the default wallpaper before release. I don't know what idiot thought that looked good, but it has to go.

Funny side note: After changing the water droplet wallpaper, I can't find it again.

OMG!! That Wave wallpaper better be in there by Beta 4 otherwise I'll be so annoyed. The default wallpaper is disgusting, who chose it? I don't know, but he\she doesn't know what people want.

Elliott    235

Few funny things:

Screen%20shot%202010-04-08%20at%205.55.41%20PM.png

iTunes wants to let me delete Safari.

The Game Center calls your iTunes account an "Apple Live Account". Xbox Live, anyone? :p

CentralDogma    145
So much for Adobe trying to provide a workaround for Flash developers to create iPhone and iPad applications. Apple today fired its latest salvo in its war against Flash, with an update to its iPhone Developer Program License Agreement that specifically bans the use of third-party compilers for creating apps that will run on the iPhone OS.

As pointed out by Daring Fireball?s John Gruber, the language in the license agreement has become much more aggressive, if not downright antagonistic, against applications not written in Objective-C, C, C++ or Javascript. It states:

3.3.1 ? Applications may only use Documented APIs in the manner prescribed by Apple and must not use or call any private APIs. Applications must be originally written in Objective-C, C, C++, or JavaScript as executed by the iPhone OS WebKit engine, and only code written in C, C++, and Objective-C may compile and directly link against the Documented APIs (e.g., Applications that link to Documented APIs through an intermediary translation or compatibility layer or tool are prohibited).

That will come as a big blow to Adobe, which was pinning its hopes on its upcoming Packager for iPhone ? an important piece of its Creative Suite 5 that was meant to allow developers to create apps in Flash which could then be re-compiled for use on the iPhone. Since the iPhone and the iPad don?t support Flash, Adobe saw this as a way to keep its developers coding for Flash while still being able to reach Apple?s mobile devices.

We?ve contacted Adobe for their take on the new language in the license agreement, and what it will mean for the future of the Packager for iPhone. We will update this post with any official word from the company as soon as we receive it.

http://newteevee.com/2010/04/08/apple-crushes-adobes-iphone-app-dreams/

This could also ban MonoTouch based apps.