iPhone OS 4.0: Hopes and Predictions

Eliot, are you able to change the background behind springboard?

Yep. When setting a wallpaper, it asks if you want to set it for the Home Screen (SpringBoard), the Lock Screen, or Both. So, you can even have a different wallpaper on your Lock Screen and on your Home Screen.

Looks like a got my wish! =D

But who am I kidding? Everyone knew it was going to get multitasking. A tablet computer without multitasking is... well... pretty sad.

So I'm guessing if you run an IM app and "switch" out of it, you'll get signed out?

Well from the looks of it, if implemented correctly then you wont - this is one of the features they mentioned, you should still be able to receive messages via notifications with the app 'running' in the background.

I've been reading up on enabling applications for multitasking (in the iPhone OS 4 SDK docs). It's very, very smartly done, and it makes perfect sense why there's little-to-no performance hit and why the extra battery drain is pretty minimal. Between push notifications and the backgrounding that's introduced, I can't see anything that would restrict an app from doing anything.

By the way, one concern I think a few people had when Apple announced its multitasking is moot: that something like a navigation app wouldn't be able to get accurate location data. The OS allows apps that need precise and real time location to run in the background full-time. Other apps that only depend on significant location changes, like Loopt and Foursquare, will suspend into the background but be notified about significant changes (as tracked by cell tower triangulation) and can act accordingly at that time.

Apps do get held into memory when suspended, though developers are urged to throw away anything that's not necessary for when the app gets resumed (like cached pages in a browser or images that aren't in the viewport).

Well from the looks of it, if implemented correctly then you wont - this is one of the features they mentioned, you should still be able to receive messages via notifications with the app 'running' in the background.

Yea, the app will be suspended into the background, but the app's server can keep the IM connection alive. When the app returns, the OS will notify it of any changes. It'll feel nearly instant unless memory gets constrained and the app gets pushed out of memory. In that case, it'll take a few seconds for the app to return its state into memory, but well-done apps should still look like nothing weird happened.

Seems the iTunes Apple Keynote version of the event freezes up about halfway through... Guess I'll have to watch the live stream/

Ads are going to be real pain in the arse... who the **** wants to see ads while working on a device you've already paid $800 for? I jailbreak so no doubt there'll be a way to disable the whole bloody platform but do they honestly expect people to sit through an ad every 3 minutes while using apps? :crazy:

Multitasking release gives iAd developers grip on iPhone, Ipad users

WAS Apple's announcement the iPhone was now about to multitask just a giant smokescreen for the fact its apps will now carry ads?

Because it seems that in announcing the new operating system for Apple's mobile platforms, boss Steve Jobs gave with one hand while taking away with the other.

All the excitement over multitasking served to overwhelm the fact that iPhone and iPad users' beloved apps will now be plastered with ads.

One billion of them, in fact. Per day.

His maths? An average user spending 30 minutes a day inside apps, receiving an iAd every three minutes on 100 million devices equals one billion ads a day.

Ads are going to be real pain in the arse... who the **** wants to see ads while working on a device you've already paid $800 for? I jailbreak so no doubt there'll be a way to disable the whole bloody platform but do they honestly expect people to sit through an ad every 3 minutes while using apps? :crazy:

It's not going to cover your screen with an ad every three minutes. He was talking about an average of one ad loaded every three minutes. The ads look just like the banner ads that already exist in free apps on the app store. They do not show up anywhere except in third party apps where the developers have chosen to use them.

It's not going to cover your screen with an ad every three minutes. He was talking about an average of one ad loaded every three minutes. The ads look just like the banner ads that already exist in free apps on the app store. They do not show up anywhere except in third party apps where the developers have chosen to use them.

That doesn't make sound any better. It still is what it is.

Nice addition I just stumbled upon: When using a Gmail account, you can now sync calendars from Google Calendar. :D

Ads have been in free apps for awhile now, iAd is nothing new and you shouldnt expect to see ads in apps you paid for, it's not a big deal.

Uhh, did you read the article? These aren't simple banner ads (which I'm fine with) - they're full screen HTML5 little interactive popups that can include video, pictures or even other small games which you have to click 'X' in the corner of the window to close and return the app you're currently using.

The iAds would be embedded in applications, and therefore won't close the app, popping up in a seperate window that can be closed with an "x" button and reveal the app behind it in the the state it was left.

Now that's multitasking for you.

(picture from AppleInsider)

iAD.001.png

The system works by giving developers a cut of the advertising if they choose to include it in their app which would no doubt be incentive for some paid apps to include it as well.

Uhh, did you read the article? These aren't simple banner ads (which I'm fine with) - they're full screen HTML5 little interactive popups that can include video, pictures or even other small games which you have to click 'X' in the corner of the window to close and return the app you're currently using.

But they are simple banner ads. Those full screen ads wont pop up randomy while using the app. You saw Steve Jobs demoing it, you have to actually tap the banner ad for the full screen ad to appear.

So, basically they just added stuff that we jailbreakers have had for quite some time now.

Yes and no. While jailbreakimg does get real multitasking, it's over the top and inefficient. This implementation is lean and efficient, with no more resources being taken up than what's necessary.

You guys did beat Apple to the punch on home screen wallpapers though. :p

But they are simple banner ads. Those full screen ads wont pop up randomy while using the app. You saw Steve Jobs demoing it, you have to actually tap the banner ad for the full screen ad to appear.

This.

In fact, iAds are even less annoying than current ads from ad networks like Admob. For instance, if you accidentally tap on one, you don't get booted out of the app you're in. Instead, you just get a popover that's easily closed.

The system works by giving developers a cut of the advertising if they choose to include it in their app which would no doubt be incentive for some paid apps to include it as well.

Uhh, did you watch the video? These are simple banner ads, except that they expand into full screen HTML5 content after you click on the banner ad. At any time you can click the 'X' in the corner of the window to return the ad back to its banner ad form and continue using your app.

Right now, if you accidentally tap a banner ad like the one in my screenshot above, you leave the application you are in and are switched to Safari to open the page. With iAds you can just tap the 'X' and keep using the app.

I have my doubts that the iPhone 3G can't support multi-tasking from a hardware perspective. Sure, Steve says it can't, but I'm quite sure it really can, but we apparently need an incentive to upgrade to the iPhone 3G-s.

I'm a bit confused, though... Will 4.0 even be offered to original iPhone and iPod touch models? Surely some 4.0 features can be made available on the original models, right?

I have my doubts that the iPhone 3G can't support multi-tasking from a hardware perspective. Sure, Steve says it can't, but I'm quite sure it really can, but we apparently need an incentive to upgrade to the iPhone 3G-s.

I'm a bit confused, though... Will 4.0 even be offered to original iPhone and iPod touch models? Surely some 4.0 features can be made available on the original models, right?

It'll update to 4.0. It just won't run services like multitasking. Although I think it's understandable that old hardware like the 1st gen iPhone isn't supported, it's kinda disappointing that a 3G won't. Not that it'll affect me much since I have a 3GS.

Looking forward to the multitasking but disappointed there wasn't a UI change.

So far 4.0 is pretty amazing on my 3Gs. I have some spots left on my dev account if anyone wants to get in on the beta. Just send me an email at blachole [at] gmail.com for more information.

Not having multitasking on the 3G because of hardware issues sounds legit, the time to complain was when Apple didn't give 2G owners MMS and A2DP for "hardware reasons". Now THAT, to me, sounds like BS.

Doesn't look like it.

Are we going to have lockscreen notifications in OS 4.0? Its something I would love, especially to tell me amount of emails, txt, etc... After reading some news this morning I don't see any mentions other than the OS 4 comes with these features and many more updates where I can I find a complete list?