Time to buy a 55" HDTV!

Hey guys, it's time to upgrade and I'm looking at buying a new HDTV for my home theatre. I've considered 3D TV's but I'm not to big on it, I'm more than happy going with a LCD or a LED. Has to be 50"-55" in size.

Primary uses:

- BD movies and games

- PS3

- Standard def cable for now

I will be buying through Best Buy Canada and I've found one so far that I like.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/sony-sony-bravia-55-1080p-120hz-lcd-hdtv-kdl55ex500-kdl55ex500/10138806.aspx?path=6611a66f6d5186ce7d3abd41500fd755en02

Questions:

Is there much of a difference between 120 hz. vs. 240 hz?

LED or LCD?

How is that TV? Are there any others you guys would reccomend on that website? I'm looking at spending $2-2.5k on the TV as I need to overhaul my sound system too.

Thanks!!

The best advice I can give you is go see it in person. Don't look at prices or brands until after you've picked out the one you like the best. But remember, retailers tweak the crap out of the settings and are not necessarily what you'd use at home. My Sharp Aquios has a built in "store display" setting.

First hand experience is better than any online review IMO.

i have to agree see the TV in person ask if it being ran off cable or blue ray loop ( you can normally tell )

imho Samsung is the company to beat i just got a 46 inch LED and im very happy i choose it because the picture on cable ( hd signal ) was perfect so on blue ray it would be jaw dropping . the sony was great but the pic just could not compare

Samsung UN55B8500 and Sony Bravia KDL-55XBR8 are the best LED-based LCD's. Try if you can find 46" models of those. But it might be wise to save couple of thousands and get a 52"-55" edge lid LED LCD.

Visit / view the quality IN STORE! Sony is a great brand, another option (a bit more $$), its the US store, but I'm sure they have it up there too ;) . There's another brand I remember seeing in store, cannot think of it now, but I was shocked at its quality above the rest, and that it wasn't a brand that normally comes to mind.

P.S. - 2 of my roommates have separate models of LG T.V.'s both seem to distort text and it isn not the greatest quality picture on either. Just a fyi, otherwise I do enjoy LG - not bashing them, just a bit more info to help with the decision(s).

So LED is worth the extra $?

IMHO, Yes. They have brighter colors and are more energy efficient. You don't have to go crazy though. A cheaper LED will suffice.

What do you guys think of this set?

http://www.bestbuy.ca/EN-CA/product/product-detail/10123084.aspx

I've read some reviews and they all say its a good buy?

Toshiba's are decent screens, but, I am a Samsung user now. had 2 toshiba's go bad on me.. a 55" DLP started having color issues and it was a bad video processor.. Changed it to a newer DLP through warranty and it did the same a year later. (Different models).. Went Samsung and never looked back.. Maybe the LCD's are not plagued by this, but the Toshiba DLP's were and it was enough to turn me off the brand (Except their laptops).

Can you describe your room that the TV will be in? Is there alot of sunlight coming into the room? Does the sunlight hit the wall that the TV will be against? I currently have a 50" Sony SXRD (DLP), 52" Samsung LCD, and a 46" Sony LED and I can safely say that I would trade them all in for a great Plasma. It is important to say that plasmas are best viewed in dark room settings. So if your room is going to be used as a "movie" experiece mostly at night.... I highly suggest a quality plasma (panasonic?). Research everything before you buy, check out reviews, AVSforums, etc.

Can you describe your room that the TV will be in? Is there alot of sunlight coming into the room? Does the sunlight hit the wall that the TV will be against? I currently have a 50" Sony SXRD (DLP), 52" Samsung LCD, and a 46" Sony LED and I can safely say that I would trade them all in for a great Plasma. It is important to say that plasmas are best viewed in dark room settings. So if your room is going to be used as a "movie" experiece mostly at night.... I highly suggest a quality plasma (panasonic?). Research everything before you buy, check out reviews, AVSforums, etc.

plasma are usually not 1080p

plasma are usually not 1080p

Wrong. I am in the market now for a new TV and everything is 1080p, including Plasmas.