New Feature: I'm at work

post-2-12708102959084.png

The above settings can be accessed here: https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?app=core&module=usercp&tab=forums at the bottom of the option settings.

At Neowin we have to deal with the ongoing balance between making the site safe for teens, the workplace and not being too strict. We believe that the responsibility also lies with the reader and should be to some extent shared.

So today we have launched a new feature, upon logging in you will also be able to select "I'm at work" which blocks all topics prefixed with [nsfw]. The full and mini spy are also filtered to tech and safe only forums.

It isn't foolproof, and we're open to suggestions on how we can make it better. At this time we don't have the option to give system administrators the power to enforce this in the workplace.

PS: There are ways around this filter when it's enabled.. but it requires you to actually want to either search for it, or for example view RSS feeds and the "view new content" option.. What we're doing here is ensuring that NSFW content is hidden by default, and isn't shown unless specifically looked for. Just to clarify before people start trying to "exploit" the feature :p

That is great mate, really great.

Could I suggest a "text only" version which is perhaps also under the "I'm At Work" option? I have a buddy who uses a firefox plugin to do this - looks great for working!

+ gabillion for this.

Seriously, thanks for this. There are certain members (I've noticed) who are prone to posting risky NSFW images in any thread.

Could we possibly get something that allows members to "tag" a post as NSFW, so when this feature is enabled, that post (and any quotes of it) are hidden, and replaced with "This post is hidden because of possible NSFW content". Not sure if that is possible, just throwing it out there.

That is great mate, really great.

Could I suggest a "text only" version which is perhaps also under the "I'm At Work" option? I have a buddy who uses a firefox plugin to do this - looks great for working!

Text only? You mean like Print View?

Found a bug?

I can't have Mini-Spy disabled and this enabled at the same time?

Edit* Workaround is to enable "work mode" and then go into any topic, and just click "X" on mini-spy, and that will disable it.

Text only? You mean like Print View?

No man, like no images etc etc... It's pretty funky. I don't know what the plugin is called though but he uses it for BBC News etc in work and it drops all the images etc etc... only shows text. might be an idea.

+ gabillion for this.

Seriously, thanks for this. There are certain members (I've noticed) who are prone to posting risky NSFW images in any thread.

Could we possibly get something that allows members to "tag" a post as NSFW, so when this feature is enabled, that post (and any quotes of it) are hidden, and replaced with "This post is hidden because of possible NSFW content". Not sure if that is possible, just throwing it out there.

Well, posts aren't filtered, so potentially you could go into a topic titled "Hot chicks" and see bikini clad women, if NSFW is present in the post it isn't filtered, it looks for that in the topic title.

To be honest I really don't think this is a problem.. the mildly NSFW posts and topic are in Members Metropolis, and if you're at work, take responsibility by not viewing that forum, this also goes for subscribers, who can still access the NSFW Backstage Pass forum, even when the I'm at Work filter is enabled, any topics prefixed with [NSFW] in there aren't shown. And that IS a requirement, so like I said, the responsibility is a two way street.

No man, like no images etc etc... It's pretty funky. I don't know what the plugin is called though but he uses it for BBC News etc in work and it drops all the images etc etc... only shows text. might be an idea.

Yes we also want a resources feature, that turns all images into links, but I think that needs to be a separate option.

Well, posts aren't filtered, so potentially you could go into a topic titled "Hot chicks" and see bikini clad women, if NSFW is present in the post it isn't filtered, it looks for that in the topic title.

To be honest I really don't think this is a problem.. the mildly NSFW posts and topic are in Members Metropolis, and if you're at work, take responsibility by not viewing that forum, this also goes for subscribers, who can still access the NSFW Backstage Pass forum, even when the I'm at Work filter is enabled, any topics prefixed with [NSFW] in there aren't shown. And that IS a requirement, so like I said, the responsibility is a two way street.

No, absolutely I agree. It is a two way street, and I do avoid obvious NSFW topics. But sometimes, the title isn't a sure fire way of knowing, so I don't normally go in there anyway (better to be safe than sorry).

No, absolutely I agree. It is a two way street, and I do avoid obvious NSFW topics. But sometimes, the title isn't a sure fire way of knowing, so I don't normally go in there anyway (better to be safe than sorry).

I've asked Moderators to start tagging anything that appears to be unsafe for work as well, so we'll do our part in making sure topics don't slip through..

Theres always the report button too, if something does get through (Y)

I've asked Moderators to start tagging anything that appears to be unsafe for work as well, so we'll do our part in making sure topics don't slip through..

Thanks for that, that is awesome. Have a +rep (when I get home, IE6 doesn't like playing ball).

Theres always the report button too, if something does get through (Y)

Yeaah, I know. But I don't want to come across as a moany old man, and only reserve the report this post for spam and crap.

Nice feature for those that cannot be careful enough or don't have the willpower when browsing the forum. (Y)

I personally don't see myself ever using it as I just don't go where I shouldn't while at work.

This is a fantastic idea. Once again this site continues to amaze me with it's innovation!

You know what would be a good idea? If it were possible to setup say some IP addresses for the more techy folks and have the site automatically enable and disable it based on where you are.

EG -

- my home IP is 74.xxx.xxx.xxx if i log in from that IP address then Neowin should be able to see that automatically disable the "Work" filter.

- my work IP is 218.xxx.xxx.xxx (i think gotta double check ) - this is a big corp (worldwide big) so their IP never changes.

Now you might say it will affect everyone at that job (well technically it should! no NSFW stuff at work!!) but i guess it should be possible to set it up that only X user and X IP address does it?

With Windows 7 being somewhat location aware (professional and up) - i figured Neowin could do that too smile.gif

Anyways, might be too much work and may cause issues on the server which we don't want. This is still a good idea as it's implemented currently however!

^ Yeah I thought about that too, but I thought I was being cheeky asking for that tongue.gif

Hehe, well we got the right to ask and Neobond and Timan and Redmak have the right to slap me in the head and say, "WTF are you crazy!!! Don't be putting ideas in people's head! You think this is Microsoft here?"