"Monkey Island 2: Special Edition" confirmed!

Excellent! The best game in the Monkey Island Series! Do we have a release date yet?

All we need now is for them to do a HD remake of Day of the Tentacle - that was a beast of a game!

• 2 months later...

Well, any opinions now that it's out? Just played for a bit less than an hour or so and I absolutely love it!

The developer's audio commentary is a nice feature (have a listen to it on the graveyard - hilarious), Guybrush's animations are vastly improved in comparison to the first remake and the music's also great. Easily one of the best adventure games of all time, I'd say :)

Is this game just about dialog? How much can a wood chuck wood? I turned it off after visiting the first couple of shops. Is there actual gameplay?

Is this game just about dialog? How much can a wood chuck wood? I turned it off after visiting the first couple of shops. Is there actual gameplay?

Ehm - yeah, most of the time it's indeed just dialog. But then you need them to solve the puzzles :) Just go out of the town, into the swamp and you'll soon get an actual task (=gameplay).

The Monkey Island games are some of the best games ever made. The jokes, the way you solve puzzles, and all the small things that make this an amazing experience.

It's not an action, RPG or FPS game. It' an Adventure game. Like almost all adventure games the main aspect of it is the dialog (smart and funny dialog mostly). If you're that bored with the dialog, you can skip most of it I'm sure. Also, If you're unsure, try a demo first.

Hmmm....probably not my kind of game then :(

It's a point and click adventure. I thought everyone already knew about monkey island, it's a classic. There are hints if you get stuck but really you should just try and work out what to do for yourself.

The Monkey Island games are some of the best games ever made. The jokes, the way you solve puzzles, and all the small things that make this an amazing experience.

It's not an action, RPG or FPS game. It' an Adventure game. Like almost all adventure games the main aspect of it is the dialog (smart and funny dialog mostly). If you're that bored with the dialog, you can skip most of it I'm sure. Also, If you're unsure, try a demo first.

(Y)

I've got both remakes and the Tales of on the PS3 now.

All they need to do now is re-release Escape from Monkey Island in HD without messing around with it's art work (considering how good it already looks in 2D).

I thought everyone already knew about monkey island, it's a classic.

Never heard of it. My "classics" go back to when I had Commodore 64, Atari 5200, then not again until Xbox/PS2 era.

All they need to do now is re-release Escape from Monkey Island in HD without messing around with it's art work (considering how good it already looks in 2D).

Completely agree - but you mean Curse of Monkey Island ;)

They should make an Escape of MI remake in 2D though (considering how bad it looked in 3D)...

I didn't like Escape - I didn't like Grim Fandango either for that matter. The GRIME(?) engine just spoiled it for me. SCUMM ftw. :p

Completely agree - but you mean Curse of Monkey Island ;)

They should make an Escape of MI remake in 2D though (considering how bad it looked in 3D)...

Ooops, yes I do laugh.gif

360 version seems to have some sound issues

Okie, I've finished recording, encoding and uploading my imuse comparisons. I recorded 6 different versions of the music you hear in Woodtick from these sources:

PS3

PC

360 classic mode

PC classic mode (I skipped PS3 classic mode as it sounds literally the same as PC)

Original game in ScummVM

360 version is the only version with zero imuse in both special and classic modes. The songs will just instantly switch between eachother. PS3 and PC seems to have the same implementation of imuse, which is similar to the original just less dynamic and with shorter transitions. Classic mode imuse is hit and miss, at its best it's as good as the imuse in the special edition music in the PS3 or PC version. At its worst, it's like the 360 version (no transitions).

The original game's version of imuse is undoubtly superior. Much more dynamic and each transition sounds better. Although I have to say the transitions in the special edition isn't bad, it's just too short. At least much better than no transitions at all.

AWBrian: Seriously, give the game a play through. It's onew of the best games of all time, and for good reason.

I will give the demo some more time, and see what the puzzles bring. I only saw dialog after the first 10 minutes, so I turned it off. I will check it out again tonight.

Hmmm....probably not my kind of game then :(

Adventure games are in their own class. They usually have the best story of any games being they are like interactive movies. Brains are also required to play the game.