Microsoft Office for Mac 2011 Beta 2 leaked screenshots

Beta 3 should be released very soon, as Beta 2 expires next week.

Who says it hasn't? Beta 2 wasn't "released", it leaked onto the web. There's no telling if the same will happen to any future betas.

I thought about that possibility, but here?s my thought :

It matters a LOT when a product is secret and you release the first screenshots of it and even worse, you leak it onto the web.

Once it?s done, for future builds of the product, it won?t matter as much because people already got the ?wow? effect and it?s already been mediated a lot already.

Look at the upcoming iPhone, same thing. There were huge scandals at the beginning after the guy stole it from the employee who went at the bar, but now we?re regularly seeing more recent versions of what?s to come. Because it doesn?t matter as much.

I?m not rejecting the possibility that they?re already at Beta 3 for a few days, but I think it would be released if they were already there.

I thought about that possibility, but here?s my thought :

It matters a LOT when a product is secret and you release the first screenshots of it and even worse, you leak it onto the web.

Once it?s done, for future builds of the product, it won?t matter as much because people already got the ?wow? effect and it?s already been mediated a lot already.

Look at the upcoming iPhone, same thing. There were huge scandals at the beginning after the guy stole it from the employee who went at the bar, but now we?re regularly seeing more recent versions of what?s to come. Because it doesn?t matter as much.

I?m not rejecting the possibility that they?re already at Beta 3 for a few days, but I think it would be released if they were already there.

The beta had been released just not to the general public. It expires regardless you were in the beta program or you obtain it using alternative methods. So, because there is a expiration date on Beta 2 I believe there will be a beta 3 soon. As for being leaked, Microsoft has a horrible track record in keeping betas closed.

Of course who really knows, we can just go on Microsoft's previous track record.

Outlook is still quite buggy (and the icon hasn't even changed from Office 2007), but otherwise, I've been using Word 2011 Beta 2 for quite some time now and I've had no major issues with it. Looking forward to the final product, as I think it will be quite good.

Outlook is still quite buggy (and the icon hasn't even changed from Office 2007), but otherwise, I've been using Word 2011 Beta 2 for quite some time now and I've had no major issues with it. Looking forward to the final product, as I think it will be quite good.

What is the performance like when compared to Office 2008? an improvement or pretty much the same? Intel only or powerpc/intel?

What is the performance like when compared to Office 2008? an improvement or pretty much the same? Intel only or powerpc/intel?

Sadly, I would say it?s the same. Fortunately, they still have time for improvement and I?m pretty positive that the optimization cycle begins after the first beta of everything. They have another 5 months or so to optimize things and fix bugs and include every new icon and image (because they?re still not all there).

I'd have to agree with PsykX, no noticeable improvements as of yet.

New beta apparently leaked that includes icons:

105601office2011icons.jpg

They remind me of the icons used by Office 2001 for Mac OS 9.

Funky.... But, perhaps it's because it's low res. I def. prefer the '08 icons. I see that these new icons have more of a 'ribbon' or flow to them

Yuck, way worse than its Windows counterpart. I blame the Mac UI though, not MS.

Err, there are a lot of beautiful icons on OS X, and a lot of renowned icon designers use OS X and are largely inspired by Apple's own icons and UIs.