Need recommendation on a budget 5.1 HTIB. $200-300

DaDude    83

My current Home Theater system is starting to go and I was hoping someone here can help me find a replacement. I tried asking this at AVSforum.com, but people there are giving me a hard time because they all insist that I need to spend a fortune to get good sound. I'm not looking to get the "best" sound. Something decent with a good price tag is fine with me. I don't need all those bells and whistles.

I'm just looking for a simple 5.1 HTIB with decent sound that works well. I have a $200 Sony one and really love it, but it's starting to die on me. I'm hoping I could find something in the same price range. Since I have Blu-ray now, it would be nice if I can get one that accepts PCM 5.1 via HDMI (so I can get lossless audio) and has the usual coax/optical digital ports as well.

Like I said, something simple would do. Just a 5.1 system with small speakers would be just fine for me. I only live in a small apartment, so I don't need big speakers with a booming sound that'll get me in trouble with the neighbors. :D

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TruckWEB    480
DaDude    83

I saw that, but immediately said no when I saw that it uses propriety connectors for the speakers. For the rear speakers, I need to use longer wires, so that?s going to be an issue for me.

I don?t know why HTIB aren?t as good as they used to be. My current HTIB, which I bought 5 years ago, accepts speaker wire in the receiver and only cost $200. Now, HTIBs today are more expensive than $200 and/or use those ridiculous propriety connectors.

QuantumTrickery    2

It is very easy to increase the length on HTIB systems with the plastic proprietary ends, which most if not all systems use (sony, samsung, panasonic) Its basically a matter of splicing the wire and soldering whatever length you want, or even just twisting and electrical taping the ends together. What do you expect though? These things are designed for people who don't know any better and want simplicity and a bargain.

DaDude    83

The Sony HTIB I currently use doesn't have proprietary ends. The receiver accepts the speaker wires. I guess things have changed now.