• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

My top 6 simple things the Average computer user doen't know how to do

+warwagon    13,099

or you could just type "google" and let google find it for you (Firefox & Chrome :p)

The only time I use www and .com is when I don't already have a web browser open and I use the run box. Make that, if I'm not already in a web browser, because windows key +r is sooooo much more efficient and quicker.

x-byte    94

rename a file.. and more importantly change it's extension.. oh what a headache it is for some people..

To be fair, Windows hides the extensions for known file formats. Can be a hassle if you don't know how to disable it.

The company I work for is going from XP to 7 this year. Can't say I look forward to it. Some of our users can't even work on a PC if their shortcuts have been moved. One user asked me to install some fonts she had downloaded. It was pretty much just to double click a msi file. When I did she was grateful for it. To them we are almost like wizards it seems. I actually find these things amusing and it helps me enjoy my work more.

capr    36

haha i read this thinking it's going to have some hidden nifty things in it. but by users you mean people who dont' know the difference between a keyboard and monitor.

random_n    47

Most of the people I work with are alright, but I'd still be a bit happier if everybody could remember their own username. It's really hard not to sound condescending when they've been using the same account for years and the conversation goes...

User: What's my user name?

Me: Well, what's your name?

User: Bob

Me: Your user name is Bob.

:shiftyninja: :laugh:

SyntaxError    26

Anyone remember Jimmy Fallon's SNL character from the "Your company's IT computer guy" skits? ROFL. So true.

Nadja    13

another one for you: plugging newly bought USB peripherals and matching color coded cables into the correct socket.

Never let your friends, family or relations know that you are a geek..... :rofl:

Harreh    9

@speedstr: I don't drive. I live in a rented house. None of those examples are concerns to me. I don't have oil to change and flat tired to pump up and my landlord will fix my toilet.

If I did have a car, I'd certainly learn how to sort it out. My Dad knows enough about cars to teach me.

But the thing is, there really isn't any skill involved in installing anti-malwarebytes (instead of downloading it 9 times).

Sir Topham Hatt    272

Good list :)

I find a lot of users don't pay any attention to keyboard shortcuts. I use them every day more or less all day. Even now, I just found a new one by reading this (Windows button + R = Run).

Harreh    9

Good list :)

I find a lot of users don't pay any attention to keyboard shortcuts. I use them every day more or less all day. Even now, I just found a new one by reading this (Windows button + R = Run).

My friend recently learnt ctrl+c & ctrl+v.

I was just telling him to "ctrl+c" something and I got a total blank look.

He also recently learnt that you can open links in a new tab by middle clicking them. Infact, he learnt that you could actually CLICK the wheel! Mind = blown :laugh:.

Without a doubt forgotten all this by now though.

edit: btw, there are loads of keyboard shortcuts & if you're on W7 then you get even more. Google around for a list.

notta    74

One of my favorites that I still laugh at today is

Me:

Please right click on my computer.

Customer:

your computer?

• Like 1

Gladiatorus    278

Oh God, double clicking web links. People just CAN'T get it. :angry:

Solid Knight    511

The great thing about working with users is that they often don't give accurate information.

You'll get things like "my internet is down" or "the e-mail is broken" when they just can't login or boot the computer. They'll complain that their pictures are missing when they're really talking about the "download images automatically" option being turned off in their web-browser. They never clarify. Is it really that hard to add "when I'm on the internet" or "when I visit a website" or something else to clarify where exactly these pictures are missing from? They'll tell you that some files are missing but they can never tell you where they're supposed to be either.

There's a lot of things I don't know much of anything about but at least I can describe a problem even if I don't know the names of any of the components involved.

Fish    48

My worst peeve is that people still don't understand the concept of tabs in their browser window, and constantly clutter their taskbar with open window buttons. That, and people who habitually store all their documents on the desktop, then can't find the one they need amongst the mess.

People shouldn't be allowed near a computer without some kind of basic knowledge of how to use them. There was this one guy in my office who would, for example, receive a spreadsheet via email, but instead of saving it first would just open it and start editing. He'd then click "Save" and wonder why he could never find it the next day in his Documents. Once I'd found it (in his Outlook temp folder) and explained what he'd done I thought that would be then end of it, but no, soon enough I'd get "show me again how you found that spreadsheet for me..."

Nicholas-c    37

I had my mum phone me at work before...

"The internet is broken" - "No mum, It isn't, The modem has just disconnected... Restart it." - "Where's the modem? That thing in your room?" - "No, The white box by the phone..." - *Disconnect*

She pulled out the ADSL cable from my phone >.> Fail :p

i hate the terminology some people use...

ATM machine - automated teller machine machine.

PIN Number - Personal identification number number.

+warwagon    13,099

When telling people to power cycle their modem they swear they don't have one.

When setting peoples email's back up, asking them for the password they always say "They never gave us a password". Then they proceed to utter out some random password. You ask them is that the password? No, just use that one.

Then you preform a face palm and tell them then they need to call their ISP. They call them to ask for the password, the whole time swearing the ISP will tell them they never gave them one. When they finally get the password they get a surprised look on their face.

Bioran    11

Absolutely agree with copy/paste and multitasking. To this day, my parents still can't remember how to highlight words and copying it, or using tabs in a browser.

ViperAFK    797

I've heard it called thumbstick, USB drive, Flash drive.

I've heard thumbdrive but not thumbstick :)

• Like 1

cloaked    5

Sounds like what would happen if a windows pro tried using Linux and called in for support.

Rohdekill    775

One of my favorites that I still laugh at today is

Me:

Please right click on my computer.

Customer:

your computer?

LMFAO. Never heard that one yet...I would have had to have left the room.

Titoist    224

My #1 peeve which someone mentioned is that you clean the persons PC of malware and all other unecessary programs (IE toolbars) and they call you and hour or two later to tell you there's another problem, you show up and IE again has all the same toolbars you removed. When u ask them why the Google Toolbar, Ask Jeeves Toolbar and Yahoo Toolbar are there, they said that they "need them".

Though the best one was my gf's uncle who is also computer illiterate. His speakers died. I told him to buy new speakers, he said "no, I ordered a Mac and won't have problems anymore" *facepalm*

Geoffrey B.    1,415

I have so many issues with the first one. There are so many users where I work, and sadly my wife included that will either search of everything or they click the triangle and click the link that has been saved for (recent pages)

Vveazel    3

"Press the windows key.."

- What windows key?

+warwagon    13,099

I have so many issues with the first one. There are so many users where I work, and sadly my wife included that will either search of everything or they click the triangle and click the link that has been saved for (recent pages)

One of my customers, when I cleared his history no longer new what his sites where, he was using his history / recently viewed pages as his bookmarks

Xilo    928

4) The Desktop

Some users when you say the word "The Desktop" have no ****ing clue what you are referring to. It's only when you use the words "Pretty picture" ( Go to the pretty picture behind everything) they start to figure it out. Sometimes though people are so dim, it takes a little more explaining. You have to use words like "Main screen" or "The first thing you see when you turn on the computer". Sadly some never figure it out and you drive across town to show them that "This is the icon you use to open your mail".

Why go through all that hassle? If they don't know what the desktop is, I just tell them to hit WinKey + D. Much easier than trying to explain stuff to them.

Owen W    53

I had a enterprise customer we gave her laptop to, and it was her first laptop ever.

2 hours later, she bought it back and said it doesn't turn on, and doesn't work. It turns out she didn't know it had a power supply, and assumed there was no need to charge it(?!?!)