• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

My top 6 simple things the Average computer user doen't know how to do

SyntaxError    26

Why go through all that hassle? If they don't know what the desktop is, I just tell them to hit WinKey + D. Much easier than trying to explain stuff to them.

Then you have to torture yourself trying to explain what the windows key looks like, where it is, how to hold down the windows key then D, then let off both.

Additions to the list:

3.5 inch floppy = hard disk

5.25 inch floppy = floppy disk :cry:

Xilo    928

Then you have to torture yourself trying to explain what the windows key looks like, where it is, how to hold down the windows key then D, then let off both.

Never seen people that stupid... :p

SyntaxError    26

Then you're lucky.

Tha Bloo Monkee    591

what cracks me up is seeing IT professionals actually typing in "http://www." as well as ".com" when all you need to do is type "google" and ctrl-enter. It's 10 times faster.

I didn't know the ctrl+enter trick till I read this and tried it.

To be honest, I usually do end up writing the whole www. and .com because i'm a really fast typer that it doesn't matter.

And the Windows key?? I find most people don't know, unless they're into computer of course.

intrinity1    7

I once met a girl who turned the computer off by plugging the cable out of the wall.

:(

I had a similar instance like this. I told the girl shutdown your computer and she said "how do i do that?" Keeping my cool I said click on the START button and she said "Where's that?" It's amazing how many people just go to their computer and have no care in the world but to do the exact same thing everyday by using only one application for work and that's it.

Wanderermy    37

They should made it mandatory to take SAT like test to get a license to purchase a computer.

d4diesel    6

]"when they delete a file, where does it go?"[/i] :whistle:

same place where the words go when you write with a pencil and then erase it using an eraser. :p

OR

Recycling Bin depending upon what you were referring to.

murkurie    4

Yes, I have seen all of those. I also fix people's computers that get virus daily, and I tell them to stop using limewire and bearshare because that's the problem yet they go back. I think it's funny how people still think they need the aol desktop program to check there email and some think its black magic to use firefox or ie and goto aol.com. Almost everyone I know is so lazy they type full web address into google and click the first one; when I tell them they could just type it in the address bar they say typing into google is easier and faster :blink:

oh, and I can change the oil, and change a tire on my car. I also taught myself how to rebuild carburetors. Changing a car's tire is common sense I think.

Nadja    13

what about when you are showing a series of steps like how to launch their email programs and check the mail in ultra slow motion and they miss everything and ask you to repeat the steps real slow........ arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!

Hum    6,933

Doesn't seem wise to call people 'stupid' when you are charging them money to fix relatively simple things. ;)

If it is something really simple, I gladly give free help.

I've only charged if it takes a fair amount of time.

Like virus removal, computer assembly, hardware replacement, installing the OS.

I would agree that if you own a computer, at least 1 person in the home should know the basic maintenance for it.

gian    19

To be fair, Windows hides the extensions for known file formats. Can be a hassle if you don't know how to disable it.

The company I work for is going from XP to 7 this year. Can't say I look forward to it. Some of our users can't even work on a PC if their shortcuts have been moved. One user asked me to install some fonts she had downloaded. It was pretty much just to double click a msi file. When I did she was grateful for it. To them we are almost like wizards it seems. I actually find these things amusing and it helps me enjoy my work more.

yes exactly and I don't remember the exact steps to show the extension, if I have windows in front of me I will figure it out though, it must be in the control panel!

Harreh    9

One of my customers, when I cleared his history no longer new what his sites where, he was using his history / recently viewed pages as his bookmarks

That's how I browse. I've got a few proper bookmarks but if I wanna go to a site I know is in my history I just type the first few letters (eb) then hit down & enter (http://www.ebay.com).

GrandMaster    515

What I wanna know is.. how did this happen? Why are there a large number of non-professionals like ourselves who know what an addressbar & what the desktop is etc vs the even larger number of morons?

The morons bend over and took it at $10/hour to work in IT field... the rest are freelancing or hacking or something

+Ryster    777

i've never heard anyone call it thumbstick. try "usb drive", i've found most people automatically associate "usb" with flash drives.

I was about to say the same thing. Calling it a "thumbstick" is your problem, not theirs.

Nihilus    56

Oh God, double clicking web links. People just CAN'T get it. :angry:

I can accept most of the common failings posted here, except for this. I have no idea why but I just go into an inconsolable rage whenever I witness a user double click a link.

The morons bend over and took it at $10/hour to work in IT field... the rest are freelancing or hacking or something

/facepalm

Tha Bloo Monkee    591

I don't see the big deal. I wouldn't expect old people and the such to understand it. And those saying you shouldn't have a computer if you don't know how it works - why??

Imagine if you didn't know anything about cars (admit it - a lot of you don't!) and the mechanics laughed at you and called you a moron and said you shouldn't own one then. Wouldn't you be mad? Changing oil on a car is something VERY simple but I bet many you have never done it or don't know how - and mechanics get paid and laugh to do something so simple.

Just because you know something well doesn't mean the world does. There are plenty of things that you people with your pompous computer attitudes would be laughed at for in other areas.

Jason S.    1,499

this has probably been said, but how about those people that type "google" into the Google search box in FF or IE?

i love how people say "computer" and point to the monitor. I also loathe the blanket-term "tower" for the computer.

Tha Bloo Monkee    591

I also loathe the blanket-term "tower" for the computer.

Why? The tower *is* the computer (for a desktop at least).

Jason S.    1,499

I don't see the big deal. I wouldn't expect old people and the such to understand it. And those saying you shouldn't have a computer if you don't know how it works - why??

Imagine if you didn't know anything about cars (admit it - a lot of you don't!) and the mechanics laughed at you and called you a moron and said you shouldn't own one then. Wouldn't you be mad? Changing oil on a car is something VERY simple but I bet many you have never done it or don't know how - and mechanics get paid and laugh to do something so simple.

i appreciate the analogy, but what youre describing is how a computer works, not how to use it.

imagine if you didnt know anything about how a car works, but also didnt know how to drive it or turn it on. That's what bothers me - i dont care if you dont know how the computer works, but you should be able to drive the thing.... especially since so many jobs depend on computers these days.

Why? The tower *is* the computer (for a desktop at least).

personal pet-peev i guess :happy:

Tha Bloo Monkee    591

^ I know the analogy ain't perfect but still, I hate the pompous stuck-ups going on about how people who can't use a computer should not own one. Like knowing how to "use" a computer is different to an old person than it is a computer tech. Some people think that if they can surf the web or check email, they know how to "use" a computer, which is very different than an ITs view of knowing how to use one.

I still think my changing oil on a car analogy was good, because that's general maintenance that's done every few months, just like doing maintenance on your computer is (running anti-virus, for example).

Klownicle    64

I deal with 1 2 and 4 on a daily basis as tech support. People use a google toolbar or go to google and type in aol.com....

Paul Paliath    68

LOL!

I can relate to just about everything in this thread.

To add: I've come across people who refer to the entire desktop unit--case and everything within--as "hard drive". It just bugs me lol

Obi Wong    10

wow

i didn't think #1 was so common

the first time i saw this was when i was watching the IT guys in the office do it

i tell them to go to a website and they always go to google and look up the name of the site i tell them rather than just type it into the address bar

Rob2687    72

I've seen one person clicking the ads on Google thinking it is the first search result. -_- One time it took them to some phony messenger website. It asked them to install a plugin and they kept clicking next through the installations.

I doubled face palmed.

Harreh    9

I don't see the big deal.

The big deal is this:

You tell them things but they never listen. Like telling people that you don't need a Yahoo!, Google & Ask toolbar for IE. They install them shortly after you've removed them. I'd probably leave the Google toolbar because it does have more than just a search bar. Or how to do a task but they come back & ask you how to do it later.

It's really difficult to get them to do things over the phone. Or you have to go to them as opposed to them coming to you with their car.

It's like me going to a car shop and asking them how to turn the windscreen wipers off. I'd probably get laughed at.

btw I'm totally against the "they shouldn't be allowed on computers!!" boat. Just tad extreme there :p I just like to rant about it on the net