My top 6 simple things the Average computer user doen't know how to do

So it was funny, yesterday I google searched "Does the average user know where the address bar is?"

I looked at the first search result and agree'ed with EVERYTHING they said. Turns out it was the first post in this thread and I was agreeing with myself. LOL!! What's strange is when I ask the same question today it's no longer the first search result. I'm allowed to bump my own threads after 9 years? it's still a relevant topic.

Just need to grease the bearings of this thread and get it moving again :)

storing+and+handling+grease.gif

After reading this thread, the example about not knowing anything about a cars but  knowing about the battery was a horrible example. That would still confuse a lot of people.

A better example would have been, Not knowing anything about cars, but having someone on the other end of the phone tell you to check to make sure your windshield wipers work, and having no idea  what they are talking about.

That's how I feel when I tell someone to look on their desktop for X icon and they have no idea were the desktop is. I try to explain it as "The main screen" , the screen with the pretty picture with all your icons" ... "the main screen you see when you log into your computer. ... I'm like.. I don't know how else to say it.

It also annoys me and has happened A LOT more than it should,  I would tell people, look on the desktop for an icon LABELED / called  'Screenconnect" ... they would look for a while and ask "Internet Explorer?" (or just name a random icon) .....OH FOR **** SAKE!!!!!.

That's like someone over the phone telling you to turn on your windshield wipers and you ask ... the radio?"

we're not too worried about necro posting anymore; as long as the posts remain relevant to the topic at hand then it's all good; and I'd say this topic in general is still very much relevant (Y)

definitely run into a lot of your points myself in the office here :D

Now on the first page someone called my post pompous, I can see how it could come across that way. Sometimes though you just need to vent. That doesn't mean you hate your job or that you are burnt out? Of course not! I'm currently going on 17 years and still love my job. Some people have stress balls, I have this thread and threads similar to it :D.

It's just frustrating when some people due to their lack of basic terminology / computer skills it takes me 20 mins to get remotely connected with them, when it usually takes 2 or 3. For those special people I usually ask if i can put them on my access list in screenconect (or as I refer to it to myself, "The list of shame") (and I explain to them what it is). That's where they say help and I can connect into them.