External HDD to BluRay USB? AND! Check Home Theater Setup please

Alladaskill17    181

Hey guys, I was just at BestBuy and I was curious about BluRay players playing movies directly off my External HDD I usually have connected to my laptop. The HDD is a 1.5TB WD MyBook and the BluRay player can be of any brand etc. I was curious is there were format limitations (most of the videos are .avi or .mp4) and if the player could read the HDD and look at the pictures / videos etc. I ask this because I am not anywhere near an expert in this field, and the Xbox360 is incapable of reading the media when I directly plug in the HDD via USBto the Xbox360. Is that due to a limitation of the 360s?

Next, I was currently looking at this LG home theater setup in conjunction with this 46" LG TV. Thoughts? Better options for similar price? Note that both are LG, I am not set on LG both choices I really was fond of just happen to be LG. Also, I know nothing of TVs, BluRay + HDMI = win? Yes?

I know both paragraphs are far different questions etc but that was the setup I was checking out and also curious about with the HDD I have. Though, now that I think of it, would it also be simpler to just keep the HDD in my room and just stream from computer to TV via a built in feature (if exist on products linked) or software like Vuze

Thanks in advance for the replies! Hope there's lots of suggestions when I return from the gym ;)

• Like 1
Alladaskill17    181

BUMP? or has it not been enough time? Really would love input.

Alladaskill17    181

BUMP

Alladaskill17    181

Really had hoped for some replies fellas (and ladies) lol

jerzdawg    338

I am not aware of any bluray player that is capable of playing a ripped bluray movie off of a external hdd. I guess I need to ask where you are going to be getting the rips from? The only thing I can think of that will work for you at all is a PS3, you can stream a mkv file from your PC to the ps3 (I do not believe the PS3 can play an mkv file directly from a external hd). Sounds to me your best bet is to put together a HTPC with a bluray drive in it.

not sure about the player/speakers - I am not a fan of HTIBs

FiB3R    1,663

I think the best bet for you, would be to get a WDTV Live http://www.wdtvlive.com/

If not a "proper" HTPC

Alladaskill17    181

I am not aware of any bluray player that is capable of playing a ripped bluray movie off of a external hdd. I guess I need to ask where you are going to be getting the rips from? The only thing I can think of that will work for you at all is a PS3, you can stream a mkv file from your PC to the ps3 (I do not believe the PS3 can play an mkv file directly from a external hd). Sounds to me your best bet is to put together a HTPC with a bluray drive in it.

not sure about the player/speakers - I am not a fan of HTIBs

The rips are not BluRay, just regular DVDs / home video stuff. Does that make a difference?

@DARKFiB3R - I'm not gonna buy a new drive, I have a relatively new 1.5TB WD Mybook only 13% full.

FiB3R    1,663

The rips are not BluRay, just regular DVDs / home video stuff. Does that make a difference?

@DARKFiB3R - I'm not gonna buy a new drive, I have a relatively new 1.5TB WD Mybook only 13% full.

The WDTV Live is not drive, it's a media player and from what I hear, will play pretty much anything you throw at it. You can connect your Mybook to it, and also connect it to your network if you have media stored on other computers.

Alladaskill17    181

Any comments on the TV / BluRay player + surround sound?

• 2 weeks later...
Alladaskill17    181

[original TV posted] vs [NewEgg alternative]

Both: 46" - 1080p

Hz:

LG: 120Hz

Panasonic: 600Hz

Dynamic Contrast ratio:

LG: 120,000:1

Panasonic: 2,000,000

Question: What is the difference between contrast ratio and Dynamic contrast ratio? Does it matter that much?

Internet connectable: Both

HDMI input(s):

LG: 4

Panasonic: 3

USB:

LG: Yes

Panasonic: -/-

Type:

LG: LCD Flat Panel

Panasonic: Plasma

---------------------------------------------------

Prices: