[Poll]Official Language of the USA

74 members have voted

1. 1. What is the official language of the USA?

• English
    • Spanish
    • No official language
    • I don't know

Okay, so what do you guys think the official language of the USA is? I need to know cause I need it for my Research paper for college..

If you don't think it should be English, can you explain.

If you think it's English, can you explain.

If you think it's Spanish, explain.

Should the USA have an official language?

Thanks for your help guys :)

what?? what's the point of this? English is the official and most widely spoken language in the US.

Just look up a wikipedia entry and you'll read that.

Countries can have two or more official languages. If the United States were to eventually adopt official languages it may very well be both English and Spanish. Right now, however, English is the unofficial official language.

If I lived in the United States, my kid(s) would surely be in a Spanish school.

The poll asks for knowledge of a fact, then your post asks for an opinion. The fact is that there is no official language for the US. Many states define English as the official language, but some have multiple official languages.

And what kind of pathetic research paper uses a poorly-written, ambiguous poll from Neowin as a source of credible information? Do you go to Bob's University?

There is no "official" language as law however, I say, the most common language spoken is English, followed by Spanish at this point in time.

• 2 weeks later...

Having studied this in TWO classes this semester, I can tell you there is NO OFFICIAL language of the US. There's "Standard English" but it is not officially recognized in the US. However, I think a good portion of the states (can't remember how many) have made English the standard language of the state.

Federal: No

State: Some

I did not know that there was no official language. Someone should actually fix that as English is the (un)official language.

The lack of an official language is intentional and not a mistake that needs fixing.

However, if it were to be done, English and Spanish would most likely be declared the official languages.