• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

[Hobby] GUNS ! well, shooting them

TEX4S    116

On some weekends I do some precision shooting with my father. I do not like to hunt, yet have grown up around guns my entire life so its a nice way for my father and I to do something together.

Precision shooting is using a custom built, very expensive bench rifle, or sniper rifle. These guns are finely crafted to ridiculous tolerances and use fancy materials.

For instance, the amount of pressure on the trigger action of a normal rifle off the shelf is about 3 - 5 lbs of pressure.

My precision rifle's action is 1.5 ounces !!

That means if you arent ready, dont even *think* about touching the trigger -- thinking about it will make it fire.

Or making custom ammo by hand with such precision the person will literally sprinkle grains of powder by rubbing two fingers together !

It is not a hobby for everyone as the cost of ammo, and the initial cost of the gun is pretty high.

A good precision rifle can cost as much as $10,000 with a good scope (Swarovski, Zeiss, Schmidt & Bender). Thankfully, my father has more than 1 and gave me his.

The regulars in these competitions are so good, usually 1 errant shot can take them out of the running for a win.

The man who built mine and my father's guns is a former world champ and the only guy to win more than once. He even had a video game made for the original PlayStation (which was a FAIL)

He is an interesting guy as he was a sniper for the CIA back in the 70s. Some of his stories are absolutely insane.

The below target is not my best, but it is the only pic I can find.

I dont have any sympathy issues with killing paper, unlike killing animals ;)

~10 shots @ 210yds w/ 20mph wind gusts~

sorry for the bad pic, it was taken with my iPhone.

Most calibers for the sub-500 yard group range from something like a .30-06 to .7 mm or smaller

Every once in a while there are competitions in Oklahoma for 1000yd, & 1 mile - thats when people bust out their Barrett M82 .50 cal -- that thing is amazing !

Brandon C.    116

Nice grouping. Hopefully the weather here will be decent enough so I can go shooting.

TEX4S    116

Nice grouping. Hopefully the weather here will be decent enough so I can go shooting.

Thank You, Sir.

Down here, around July & August you cant really do any precision shooting @ outdoor ranges. By 10:00am it is already getting so warm the little heat mirages make it too difficult to see the target. To me, it seems to be worse on the better scopes.

SyntaxError    26

Too expensive to bother shooting anything larger than a .22 these days. I've had a MAK90 for several years and only put maybe 60 rounds through it. Haven't fired it in at least 3 years now. I should've sold it on the street ages ago when I was offered $1500 cash for it.

Went to a gun show last weekend. Gun prices seem to be coming down a bit, while ammo prices are still rising. Wolf 7.62 black box was as high as $7/box. I used to pay $2.50, and I'm told even that was high.

I sold a 40 round steel magazine and a 75 round Chinese made drum mag at the gun show. I only got $10 for the 40rnd and $40 for the drum. I wasn't happy, especially since the Chinese made drum mags are going for $230 online.

At the gun show, they had new Romanian manufactured Chinese style drums for $100, and new steel 40 round mags for $20. That mag was going for $40 online just last year.

New Chinese made AK parts are going to flood the American market soon, and the prices will be dirt cheap. China has found a loophole in our gun laws that allows them to sell their crap to the US through an allowed 3rd party country.

I wish Russia would do that with ammo.

iamawesomewicked    80

I really want a gun so I can go to the shooting range.. but I don't think I could ever afford the gun I want, nor do I know if it's legal to own in my country :p

Thats the gun I want.. the semi auto PS90

FNH_CB_PS90.jpg

• Like 1

SyntaxError    26

lol We can buy those in sporting goods stores in America. Gander Mountain sells them.

iamawesomewicked    80

lol We can buy those in sporting goods stores in America. Gander Mountain sells them.

They retail for what $1900 or so?

TEX4S    116

Ya know, the shooting range we go to is about 45 minutes north of Dallas, it is private & relatively small but not desolate. I have never seen anyone bring some crazy stuff up there. Everyone is pretty much 40+ years old & boring. My father usually has the most exotic/crazy stuff out there -- and its nothing cool like a P90, an M4A1, or any other legal assault rifle - my father used to have a Steyr Aug - thats as cool as I have ever seen - I WANT MORE CALL OF DUTY AND COUNTER STRIKE WEAPONS AT MY RANGE !! :D

Oh I take that back, my father had (2) .338 Lapua Mags - those are the AWP in Counter Strike .. forgot about them LOL

Brandon C.    116

Since the forecast shows that my weekend is going to be full of rain, I decided to head to the range today with my P22, 8040, and FAL.

24529_744199216810_16918054_43073605_4019139_n.jpg

24529_744199191860_16918054_43073601_5608971_n.jpg

Me and my FAL

24529_744199221800_16918054_43073606_1530102_n.jpg

Was shooting at this target @ 100 ft. Finally got it sighted in.

What a great stress relief. The end of the semester is really close and I really needed to send some rounds down the range.

metal_dragen    30

I don't do a lot of rifle shooting. I do a lot of trap though. I shoot a Remington 870 Express Magnum 28" VR. I average about 22/25 with it. I'm looking at getting a Beretta Onyx to start shooting skeet as well. I have a buddy who is a local cop that I shoot with and he's got an Onyx. I've shot it a few times and it's a really nice piece. It fits me really well and presents nicely, so I've decided I have to get one eventually.

I'm probably going to start doing some 3-gun this year. I work at a gun shop for one of my buddies and our specialty is tactical shotguns. I've built up a Mossberg 500 Persuader (Mesa Tactical LEO Stock, 8-Shot shell carrier, Mako forend, Brownell's Oversize Safety, Mesa Picatinny Rail, Vang Comp Stainless Follower, Eotech 552 HWS, and a Streamlight TLR-3) that I keep for home defense that I will probably use for 3-gun. Now I just need to get a black rifle so that I actually have the requisite 3 guns.

Malfunctional    0

I really want a gun so I can go to the shooting range.. but I don't think I could ever afford the gun I want, nor do I know if it's legal to own in my country :p

Thats the gun I want.. the semi auto PS90

The ammunition is expensive, start out with a decent .22 to learn the basics, they are legal pretty much everywhere and ammo is inexpensive

I don't do a lot of rifle shooting. I do a lot of trap though. I shoot a Remington 870 Express Magnum 28" VR. I average about 22/25 with it. I'm looking at getting a Beretta Onyx to start shooting skeet as well. I have a buddy who is a local cop that I shoot with and he's got an Onyx. I've shot it a few times and it's a really nice piece. It fits me really well and presents nicely, so I've decided I have to get one eventually.

I'm probably going to start doing some 3-gun this year. I work at a gun shop for one of my buddies and our specialty is tactical shotguns. I've built up a Mossberg 500 Persuader (Mesa Tactical LEO Stock, 8-Shot shell carrier, Mako forend, Brownell's Oversize Safety, Mesa Picatinny Rail, Vang Comp Stainless Follower, Eotech 552 HWS, and a Streamlight TLR-3) that I keep for home defense that I will probably use for 3-gun. Now I just need to get a black rifle so that I actually have the requisite 3 guns.

What kind of pistol do you shoot for three gun?

Has anyone here ever done an Appleseed shooting event?

metal_dragen    30

What kind of pistol do you shoot for three gun?

Well, I've never done 3-gun, but I'm planning to use my carry piece, a CZ-75 P-01 Compact 9MM.

TEX4S    116

Since the forecast shows that my weekend is going to be full of rain, I decided to head to the range today with my P22, 8040, and FAL.

24529_744199216810_16918054_43073605_4019139_n.jpg

24529_744199191860_16918054_43073601_5608971_n.jpg

Me and my FAL

24529_744199221800_16918054_43073606_1530102_n.jpg

Was shooting at this target @ 100 ft. Finally got it sighted in.

What a great stress relief. The end of the semester is really close and I really needed to send some rounds down the range.

Nice FAL man -- very cool - I always liked those.

I have never done 3 gun either.

Back when I had more than 1 - I would have liked to do something like that.

I had to sell everything I owned about 5 years ago to try and save a failing company - and never tried replacing any of the guns.

The only reason I have this rifle is because my father gave it to me, I couldnt even afford the scope, right now.

Here is a pic of my dad's hand cannon - this is for backup when he goes bear hunting in Alaska.

Again, sorry about the quality - iPhone3G camera= FAIL

djnv2010    19

future serial killers of america...LMAO!! guns, like drugs are bad mmmm kay? :whistle:

TEX4S    116

future serial killers of america...LMAO!! guns, like drugs are bad mmmm kay? :whistle:

Please tell me youre kidding -

I guess pencils are bad too, and computers

ew2x4    4

Love going shooting. I would love to get into marksman competitions, but I don't have the money for a nicer rifle. Would love a 700 Police.

Right now I'm looking for a concealled carry piece. I just have full size hand guns so, none of them would really work. My latest is a Sig SP 2022 9mm. Great inexpensive gun.

TEX4S    116

Love going shooting. I would love to get into marksman competitions, but I don't have the money for a nicer rifle. Would love a 700 Police.

Right now I'm looking for a concealled carry piece. I just have full size hand guns so, none of them would really work. My latest is a Sig SP 2022 9mm. Great inexpensive gun.

It is fun, and relaxing - just like golf for me -- but, just like golf, is expensive.

I need cheaper hobbies

ew2x4    4

Heh, I know the feeling.

MasterC    10

Again, sorry about the quality - iPhone3G camera= FAIL

Holy **** that's a big gun :o

TEX4S    116

Holy **** that's a big gun :o

LOL - I know - absolutely insane. The thing is, you have to hang on so tight, its nearly impossible to be accurate. Then again I guess you dont have to be all that accurate...

Directions:

1.) point in general direction of desired target

2.) close eyes

3.) pucker butthole

4.) squeeze the trigger.

Congratulations, you just killed the large building that was behind your target!

I can tell ya'll one thing that really messes me up when shooting anything other than mine or my father's precision rifle. With a 1.5oz trigger weight, since becoming used to it, everything else (all normal off the shelf / non-competition) action seems crappy. It really messes me up, Ive gotten used to this trigger weight, and after a few shots can actually rest my finger on the trigger without it firing. So when I go to anything else, its like "man do I have to pull this thing back an inch or something ? is it gonna fire ?

A huge difference between 5lbs of pressure and 1.5 oz, obviously. The weird thing is, these rifles wont drop-fire. I have never purposely dropped a $10,000 rifle to see if it would accidentally discharge, but I have hit the side of the stock in an attempt to get it to, and it wouldnt. Must be the weight of the thing -- its just over 20lbs :p

Soviet    7

I don't remember the price on the ones I handled. Good luck finding ammo for it. 5.7mm isn't exactly common.

They go for about that online.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/Search/Category/264/2/Guns/Rifles/Fabrique-Nationale/Semi-auto/PS90.htm

5.7 has been in every gunstore Ive been in in the last 6 months, boxes are dusty. Its selling a bit more due to the AR57 but that stuff isnt exactly flying off shelves.

TEX4S, sounds like you have an impressive rifle, Id like to see it if you dont mind posting pictures!!

My new range toy is a friends FN SLP 12 gauge, Ive been pushing slugs down range for a few days now, its a nice change from 5.56 and 7.62.