Do you miss CRTs?

Do you miss CRTs?  

421 members have voted

1. 1. Do you miss CRTs?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sorta

thats just what CRT's make people do :p no just emphasising the point I guess

lol we've been on CRTs for over 30 years I don't remember anyone complaining.

I miss the accuracy in colors, the contrast, the viewing angles, and I miss them because you couldnt really hurt the screen. Some ******* put gum on my screen once, so I just took a wire brush and ground it off. Cant exactly do that with most lcds nowadays.

But the tradeoff for a huge reduction in weight, less power consumption, no noise, and more desk space makes up for it. While I may miss parts of them, I wouldnt trade my lcd for a crt.

No. They take up so much more space. Once I got used to LCDs, using a CRT (like at school or a friend's place) would hurt my eyes after a while.

One thing I give CRTs props for is they last freakin forever! lol.

I miss the smooth refresh rate. I've owned about 5 LCD monitors and all of them had a refresh rate of 60Hz. Most people don't notice the difference, but I certainly do. However, 120Hz monitors are becoming more popular and cheaper to make, so I'll probably upgrade to one early next year or so.

I miss the refresh rate and the deep blacks. Don't miss the size, weight, heat and geometry (never could get that perfect. endlessly messing with "trapezoid" or "pincushion" etc. With LCD's, especially over DVI, it's perfect).

Re: the refresh rate; I recently used a PC that had a CRT (and a ball mouse of all things) and marveled at how smooth the mouse cursor tracked across the display. I tried to remember if that's how it always was.

I miss the accuracy in colors, the contrast, the viewing angles, and I miss them because you couldnt really hurt the screen. Some ******* put gum on my screen once, so I just took a wire brush and ground it off. Cant exactly do that with most lcds nowadays.

+1

I miss the fluid looking display and greater control over brightness among not to mention overall quality

I can't stand CRT's after years using an LCD. for some reason CRT's really mucks my eyes up, I see even the slightest flicker and uggh it's aweful!!!

I've voted "sorta" due to the fact that it's hard to miss what I'm still using. I've got an old Phillips CRT that I was able to get into the debug menu and perfect the geometry on. With the right polarity settings and refresh rate, there's zero flicker. Text is sharp even with ClearType, colours are great, blacks are beautiful. As for space, heat, and power; my desk is large, my room is spacious, and my electricity is cheap. The only regret I have is not getting the bigger one, since they're all but impossible to find now (well, black ones in good shape anyways).

Re: the refresh rate; I recently used a PC that had a CRT (and a ball mouse of all things) and marveled at how smooth the mouse cursor tracked across the display. I tried to remember if that's how it always was.

I put in a modified USB driver that runs at 250Hz which halves the normal latency (the mouse couldn't go faster than that, else I'd put it even higher). While I do use a 90Hz display refresh rate, the monitor has less to do with this than you may think.

In the past, old serial mice were very difficult to use with a higher sensitivity since they had such poor refresh rates. Not a big deal in 640*480, but it was pretty obvious once you got out of Windows 3.1 and tossed a few more pixels on the display. Windows NT 5.x introduced an option to crank the PS/2 port up to 200Hz which I'll bet was in use on the trackball system you were using. Other things that can influence this on a modern system are the acceleration rate in the Windows control panel (turning this above the halfway point can make the cursor skip pixels), mouse drivers, and of course the mouse itself. Touchpads on laptops vary quite widely in how often and accurately they update. Alps are particularly bad, and for some reason most of them will work more smoothly with the in-box Microsoft drivers than the manufacturer's. If you don't have an overpriced mouse that already supports polling rate adjustments, a program called HIDUSBF will turn up the rate of USB mice without changing the polling rate for other USB equipment. A program called mouserate.exe will show your current polling rate. If mouserate shows you never surpassing 100Hz, then there's something wrong.

I would like to vote yes, but I can't miss what I haven't lost yet. I'm near to finishing the second of two dual monitor workstations, using 4 black 21" Dell crt monitors. They have good specs, and I was able to get them new in the box (at an excellent price). They do look mighty good, especially with some carefully chosen dual-monitor wallpaper.

The main thing for me is being able to size my desktop up or down for different jobs, without giving up image quality. LCD's generally aren't so flexible.

Oh sure, some day I'd love to have an HP 25" LCD in the mix. Heck, I'd even settle for a 24". They do make some things look good. Also, some spaces do call for a shallow display unit for convenience.

My back really can't take lifting the the 19"+ crt's anymore, but, lemme tell ya', when I sit down in front of a good one, I can forget about the screen. I've sat in front of too many LCD's that remind me of the bad old days of 15" crt's with a .60 dot pitch...

Yes, there are some nice clear high resolution LCD's, but when you're stuck viewing everything at that max resolution, everything looking smaller, it seems to defeat the purpose.

I find that I like to run 21" crt's at 1280x960, or even 1024x768. Its rather easy on the eyes. From what I've seen, a comparable LCD will not function, or at least not look good doing it, at those desktop sizes.

Speaking of desktop size, my solution to the issue of crt bulk was to get bigger desks. The latest one is an old oak office desk at least as old as I am, but alot more solid...

To each their own, but that's my two cents, anyway.

Edit note: Nothing is worse than a crt that's running at 60hz - why does no one ever seem to notice? Or fix it? Pet peeve #357...