Do you miss CRTs?

Do you miss CRTs?  

421 members have voted

1. 1. Do you miss CRTs?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sorta

CRT's just don't look as good as TFT's - neither in display quality or cosmetically.

I'm sure some may argue that colours look more vivid and you didn't have to stick to a native resolution, but I think technology has moved on enough.

I hate them, they used to trigger migraines if i didn't eat before using a CRT. I tested it, every morning without eating which i put down to sugar, i would get a migraine... if ate i wouldn't get one, but i'd still get headaches from them. As soon as i switched to LCD i stopped getting them.

I can honestly say I don't. When I started using a computer (in the losest possible term) it was hooked up to a god awful portable tv, which probably explains why my eyesight is so appaling. Once I got to highschool, and started using "proper machines", then eventually got my own, they were all CRTs, which were fine, but that's about it.

I brought my first "flatscreen" monitor in 2000, and haven't looked back since. I'm posting this from a Samsung SyncMaster 2333HD Monitor, and it's soo easy on the eye.

I miss the accuracy in colors, the contrast, the viewing angles, and I miss them because you couldnt really hurt the screen. Some ******* put gum on my screen once, so I just took a wire brush and ground it off. Cant exactly do that with most lcds nowadays.

A wire brush on a glass screen? That makes no sense....theres no way that screen made it out without a scratch.

One thing I give CRTs props for is they last freakin forever! lol.

I had a huge old 21" CRT die after around 5 years of use. I was using it one night, suddenly the screen shrunk from fitting the screen dimensions, to about a 3" tall by 5" wide rectangle. A few seconds later it got all wavy for a few seconds, then died completely, never to turn back on again.

Honestly, I've never seen an LCD die after only 5 years of use.

As for the OP, No, I do not miss CRTs. I honestly never noticed much of a difference (if any) between a CRT and a decent LCD in terms of contrast/color. But I noticed a hell of a difference in the size and weight of the monitors.

CRT monitors suck. I'm stuck with a nice one. I keep it in the shed outside because not even pawn shops will take them. It's a 19 inch NEC Multisync 97F TrueFlat. Yes the screen is actually flat, not curved. Excellent picture and color quality. But the damned thing weighs 55 pounds.

I should put it on Craigslist. Some sucker might actually buy it.

Yes, I miss the color accuracy, accurate picture without having to be directly in front of the screen and the ability to display multiple resolutions without stretching anything, important in old games.

No especially after just upgrading from a 19" ViewSonic CRT to a 24" Widescreen SAMSUNG 19xx something by 12xx something....what a difference.

I don't miss them one bit. I'm using two LCDs , one of which is 1920x1080 and the other is 1280x1024. on my small desk, you think CRTs would be able to accomplish that? That and CRTs at higher resolutions blur the pixels too. On LCD, native resolution is pixel crisp. My LCDs have 2ms response time, I don't have any issues with refresh rate or whatever.

CRT are too heavy, too hot, too power consuming, can't go high enough in resolution to suit modern needs, have to be degaussed, can never get the stupid trapezoid/curvy things right, and on top of everything else-- no DVI for digital signal.

Over an LCD i'll opt for the CRT. Much more lively and brilliant colors.

I cleverly turned my CRT TV into a flatscreen:

tv%20005.JPG

tv%20008.JPG

Just a quick note to others, don't open a CRT unless you know what your doing. There are some high voltages in there.

I dont miss CRT, I like the space saving.

Over an LCD i'll opt for the CRT. Much more lively and brilliant colors.

I cleverly turned my CRT TV into a flatscreen:

tv%20005.JPG

tv%20008.JPG

My dad - who's an electronics engineer - would have a heart attack at the sight of your 'flatscreen'. Holy electrocution risk Batman...

• Like 2

I loved my CRT until I got my new Dell LCD monitor. Ran both of them at the same time for a while simply for comparison. The color on the LCD just popped so much more than the CRT that I eventually took it down after a short while and gave it away.

So yeah, LCD ftw! Especially Dell's. Their monitors are fantastic. :)

The super high end professional CRTs were nice, as were the more modern ones used in HDTVs etc.

But for the most part schools, businesses, and most home computers used pretty cheap and crappy ones.

I remember trying to get the picture on many CRTs I used to be square and go from edge to edge like it was supposed to without clipping anything or having any edge distortion, it often took a lot of fiddling.

Cheapo LCDs may not have great color, but at least they are sharp. At native resolution, a pixel is a pixel is a pixel.

I have a CRT as my second monitor. I hate my LCD but I think the future is OLED 3D-capable displays. The blacks are better than on a CRT. LCDs eh, the colors can be good if you get a good one but OLEDs ftw!