• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

mcdonalds free wifi

Question

Dane    177

So when I was at mcdonalds this morning I took notice to a sign saying free wifi. Ok cool. However what stops someone from using limewire or torrents on their network, doesn't seem safe

• Like 1

15 answers to this question

Brian M.    778

It's usually heavily locked down, and allows only http traffic.

Denis W.    733

Pretty sure coffee shops and restaurants (major chains anyway or competent mom and pop operations) enforce usage quotas and may require you to sign up before use. If coffee shops simply leave an open router connected to their business line, then that's their own problem. :p

Speaking of McDonalds, they have yet to roll out wifi chain wide up here.

Dane    177

That makes sense. I know my local burger king also has wifi. I was just always curious.

ceminess    11

It's usually heavily locked down, and allows only http traffic.

Exactly, it's pretty locked down. At least at my local mcd's it is.

srjallan    5

It might not be as locked down as you think; at every Starbucks chain I've used wifi at, I've even managed to connect to IRC (on port 6667, which you'd think would be blocked). I'd assume file sharing protocols would most certainly be blocked though.

Draconian Guppy    13,038

Not locked at all, they got mediocre IT technicians here in Honduras, Central America, All they do is hook up the modem to a router,not even enforce password and done. I've tried this in Wendys, BK, McDs, Churches, Popeyes, KFC, Quiznos.

I think quiznos is the only one that uses password authentication.

acnpt    39

We have had free wifi in the UK for years :yes:

I'm sure it uses 'the cloud' system or BT openzone.(in the UK that is)

Roger H.    780

McDonald's wifi is actually provided by Wayport which is now owned by AT&T. So when you go there and connect you have a TOS to agree to and then you click connect. I don't think it's that locked down but i'll have to check other ports again. I know that torrents can work there however as i had it running in the background when i left my house and when i got there it auto started downloading again.

As for safety, whatever networking gear they use issolates all wireless clients so there is no way for someone to connect to your system unless it's over thet net and back.

Dane    177

Even if you sign an agreement if someone downloads something can they track it?

SuperKid    90

We have had free wifi in the UK for years :yes:

I'm sure it uses 'the cloud' system or BT openzone.(in the UK that is)

Yeah BT Openzone is pretty much all over the place in the UK at various shops. Even the McDonalds over here has Wi-Fi, I never really used these Open Wi-Fi's so im not sure if they are locked down or anything.

Steven P.    16,272

It might not be as locked down as you think; at every Starbucks chain I've used wifi at, I've even managed to connect to IRC (on port 6667, which you'd think would be blocked). I'd assume file sharing protocols would most certainly be blocked though.

It wouldn't make sense to block IRC (chat) if I was a manager of Starbucks I'd rather have someone sitting there chatting away because chances are I'm going to sell to that customer more than I would to one just checking email ;)

Phenom II    104

You don't have to sign up to use McDonald's free Wi-Fi in the UK, and yes it uses BT Openzones Cloud, but I have never tried torrents, although in Esquires Coffee House you can :)

Steve B.    467

It wouldn't make sense to block IRC (chat) if I was a manager of Starbucks I'd rather have someone sitting there chatting away because chances are I'm going to sell to that customer more than I would to one just checking email ;)

Exactly, they're more likely to spend more time and buy more drinks.

Unimatrix Xero    37

our local McDonalds requires you to fill out a form before it gives you access (Stafford Road Branch in Wolverhampton)

Dark_ph0enix    13

our local McDonalds requires you to fill out a form before it gives you access (Stafford Road Branch in Wolverhampton)

What kinda information do they ask for? Is it just some generic thingy that you can just fill with whatever you want? I've always wondered about the McDonalds Wi-Fi - I'm pretty sure they've got it in the Merry Hell Hill branch near to me.