Your favorite band/artist that no one really knows about.

We're all aware of your Metallica's, your Lady Gaga's etc. But what about bands and artists that aren't so popular. Try and stick to acts that aren't on mainstream radio during the day.

My contribution is Sonic Boom Six. Ska/Punk/Dub/Reggae type stuff.

I've been listing to Live a lot lately. I don't know anybody here that's even heard of them. They might be more popular in America, though, I've no idea.

Saw Sonic Boom Six at Reading last year, good stuff (Y)

I don't really know if anything I listen to is obscure...I went to see Amanda Palmer recently and nobody I've spoken to knows who she is, does that count? :/

I've been listing to Live a lot lately. I don't know anybody here that's even heard of them. They might be more popular in America, though, I've no idea.

My old teacher used to play them when he drove us during field trips, haha. I don't really know how or why, but for some reason I have their "Love will lead us" or "Dolphin's cry" (whatever it's called) on my computer, and it's been there since 2005. :rofl: No idea where it came from, but it's a good song!

Saw Sonic Boom Six at Reading last year, good stuff (Y)

So did I :D They're touring atm, they probably will do a gig in brighton at some point. I'm seeing them thursday in Southampton.

The Hoosiers are a fun band.

Also Animal Collective, but they're an acquired taste.

... And Dream Theater. Fantastiiiic Progressive Metal band.

My underground band of choice is:

The Ozric Tentacles

It's a prog psychedelic rock, UK based band. Been going since 1985 & their latest release was last year.

In Flames - my sweet shadow :D what do you guys think??

In Flames are pop! Go away!

I like.

But they look fairly commercial given they have a very well produced mtv & even cover real world issues such as Haiti.

Frost*

Neo-progressive rock band from the UK. Fantastic!

Got a youtube vid to link to? Or a MySpace? "frost" isn't the best search key-word!

The Hoosiers are a fun band.

Also Animal Collective, but they're an acquired taste.

... And Dream Theater. Fantastiiiic Progressive Metal band.

Dream Theater are pop & so are Animal Collective. Far from "a band that no one really knows about" (DT are ****ing good though).

Nachtmahr (Industrial/EBM/Electro) is one band I like that no one I know really know's about. My favourite? No, but I really like them...

Wayy too trancey to be pleasant. Not my sorta thing ;).

I like.

But they look fairly commercial given they have a very well produced mtv & even cover real world issues such as Haiti.

Well, I'm not much of a fan and I don't know details about the band but I like the song a lot... It's from a great movie everyone should see: Eastern Plays. It's about our generation and heroin.. The main actor died from overdose while still shooting it. Rest in peace, Christo.

My underground band of choice is:

The Ozric Tentacles

It's a prog psychedelic rock, UK based band. Been going since 1985 & their latest release was last year.

In Flames are pop! Go away!

I like.

Got a youtube vid to link to? Or a MySpace? "frost" isn't the best search key-word!

Dream Theater are pop & so are Animal Collective. Far from "a band that no one really knows about" (DT are ****ing good though).

Wayy too trancey to be pleasant. Not my sorta thing ;).

In flames pop? Did you even hear it???? :pinch: I doubt it if u said they were pop.

Here's my 2nd artist:

Eat Static

They're the Ozrics' alternative group, which focuses more on psy-trance. Their theme is spacey/UFO nonsense.

In flames pop? Did you even hear it???? :pinch: I doubt it if u said they were pop.

Yes, In Flames are pop. It's well-known within the culture that particular style of muisc surrounds AND within other cultures. I'm not even part of that particular culture and I've heard of In Flames! Most people have heard of In Flames; they're not even remotely underground. Look a the sorta venues they get into accross the UK.

Just got round to checking this out. Good stuff (Y) very energetic :yes:

(wouldnt pidgeonhole them into reggae/dub though. ska/punk works fine ;))

MySpace.com/planetfrost

Continue from there. They have brilliant vids on YouTube. Their frontman is hilarious IMO.

Their 2 albums are quite different from eachother, so you might like one and hate another. I'd recommend checking out some songs from both their albums. They're really good, but takes some getting used to when you're more familiar with other/more traditional prog.

Dream Theater isn't pop btw. I do agree they've gotten awfully commercial over the last few years. Used to be a huge fan of them, but I've moved on when they did. Still think they're good though. :)

Anything coming from the Rhymesayers or Doomtree. There is rap, then there is this. Music from Brother Ali, Atmosphere, Astronautalis, Dessa, P.O.S, Grieves, or any other of their artist. They blend what could only be called soul/blues with the rhyming word. Its poetry with soul to a bass beat. You have never heard anything like this on the radio. Nothing with as much feeling and compassion, thought and respect, or just plain music with soul.

For some reason, something in that cold minnesota water making the white boys rap better :p And they might be the group that will bring rap back from what it has been turned into.