Why Linux (Still) Sucks (And What We Can Do To Fix It)

Udedenkz

You said in Linux you could not "Double Click an MP4 and expect it to play". It plays. Were you not talking about ability to do exactly what you said? Sounds like you were implying Linux could not handle a GUI to start media playback. Or that codecs didn't exist. If you had something specific you were trying to say, just say it. The statement was certainly rather broad.

Codecs are an issue as well.

The whole issue of included vs requiring installation for example, although this can also work backwards Windows requires 3rd party software for MKVs.

The issue is though, h264. In 2015, Linux users would be unable to acquire it easily. Microsoft, Apple wouldn't really suffer.

When I say, I don't expect clicking on an MP4 to work I mean, I don't expect the h264 codec to be already installed, I don't expect automatic installation of GPU divers, and I don't expect automatic use of Hardware Acceleration.

To add to that - even with all the above done, I don't expect better performance that possible in XP or 7 to be achievable.

Lechio

Codecs are an issue as well.

The whole issue of included vs requiring installation for example, although this can also work backwards Windows requires 3rd party software for MKVs.

The issue is though, h264. In 2015, Linux users would be unable to acquire it easily. Microsoft, Apple wouldn't really suffer.

When I say, I don't expect clicking on an MP4 to work I mean, I don't expect the h264 codec to be already installed, I don't expect automatic installation of GPU divers, and I don't expect automatic use of Hardware Acceleration.

So you've only tested Ubuntu, right?

There are distros that package all of that non-free stuff, even some that are based on Ubuntu. "Linux" is not Ubuntu, Ubuntu is just a popular distro that chooses to only package free software, that's all. That doesn't stop you from accessing the non-free software, it's quite easy to install that.

Looking at what you wish, an out-of-the-box experience, have a look here: http://www.linuxmint.com/about.php

maybe that distro will suite your needs.

Some of the reasons for the success of Linux Mint are:

(...)

There is a strong focus on making things work out of the box (WiFi cards drivers in the file system, multimedia support, screen resolution, etc).

Growled

Do you also get tearing with the windows flash plugin running on the windows version of firefox on top of wine?

I honestly have never tried it. I just switch over to Windows when I want to play games.

markjensen

The issue is though, h264. In 2015, Linux users would be unable to acquire it easily.

I am unfamiliar with why my PC would be unable to play this in 2015, when I can play content already here: http://www.apple.com/quicktime/guide/hd/

(that is h.264, isn't it?)

Rob2687

He is probably referring to this.

On February 2, 2010 MPEG LA announced that H.264-encoded Internet Video that is free to end users would continue to be exempt from royalty fees until at least December 31, 2015.[11] However, other fees remain in place. The license terms are updated in 5-year blocks.[12]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264/MPEG-4_AVC#Patent_licensing

markjensen

:huh: Huh? What does that have to say about anything?

"License is set through December 2015" is not saying "Licenses will be revoked after 2015".

I mean, that is basic Logic 101 here.

bjoswald

Flash performance on Linux is crappier than Windows. Some sites use it better than others, but that's not saying much.

Behemoth

Flash performance on Linux is crappier than Windows. Some sites use it better than others, but that's not saying much.

Not for me. I can run the same sites with Crunchbang Linux that I can on my XP VM, with no noticable difference.

If you're having issues with Flash with GNU/Linux, you could always ask for help in the forums.

Kreuger
Huh? What does that have to say about anything?
My friend, I admire your patience for trying to help these people out. Then again, I always knew you to be a great guy back when you went out of your way helping me over yahoo :)
sanctified

My friend, I admire your patience for trying to help these people out. Then again, I always knew you to be a great guy back when you went out of your way helping me over yahoo :)

Mark must be the most unbiased Linux user I know and maybe the member that help more members in this forum.

seta-san

it's greatest weakness is it's greatest strength. It's free to change. Linux can only be stablily defined by just the kernel. When you start going to distros it's undefinable as anything but an operating system that is never the same twice.

ViperAFK

im interested to know the specs of people having issues with flash, particularly video card and driver. Only time I ever have issues with flash in linux is with fglrx.

bjoswald

im interested to know the specs of people having issues with flash, particularly video card and driver. Only time I ever have issues with flash in linux is with fglrx.

Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.66GHz

4GB of DDR2 RAM

GeForce 9800 GT

More than enough power to load a freakin' website.

Behemoth

Mark must be the most unbiased Linux user I know and maybe the member that help more members in this forum.

I have to agree 100%. :cool:

4GB of DDR2 RAM

GeForce 9800 GT

Since it's obviously not the hardware, it would point to a driver issue.

bjoswald

I have to agree 100%. :cool:

Since it's obviously not the hardware, it would point to a driver issue.

I guess it's possible, but on a brand-new installation with the latest drivers, you'd think there wouldn't be problem. I mean, videos play fine, games are OK too. It's got to be Flash.

Doli

4GB of DDR2 RAM

GeForce 9800 GT

My Core 2 Duo is at 2.8 Ghz but everything else is the same and flash is smooth with the 64-bit prerelease version in ubuntu 10.04.

ViperAFK

4GB of DDR2 RAM

GeForce 9800 GT

Yeah thats pretty weird, my laptop has a 2ghz core2 and a mobility 2600 and I have no performance issues with flash (64 bit) If you are running 64 bit Have you tried the 64 bit version of flash?

http://nxadm.wordpress.com/2009/04/26/install-64-bit-adobe-flash-player-on-ubuntu-904/

cloaked

i like linux but because of graphical glitches and lack of certain drivers which have not happened in windows or os x, it remains off my computers.

pepsihabbit

I never stuck with linux, because I always had trouble installing things. Maybe I was too lazy to learn and too used to how easy it is to install something on windows. Windows works for me.

Behemoth

I never stuck with linux, because I always had trouble installing things. Maybe I was too lazy to learn and too used to how easy it is to install something on windows. Windows works for me.

Which is understandable. Linux won't work for everyone.

But, installing software is light years ahead of where it used to be, and with the new package managers installing software couldn't be easier (provided it's in your repos). It's no more than select the program from a list and click 'install'. Alternatively, you could run 'apt-get install xxx' or 'yum -y install xxx' from the command line, (debian, fedora respectively) depending on your distro and it's done. This seems easier to me than clicking a 'Next' button 100 times and unchecking an email list I don't want to be apart of.

The only speedbumps may come from .tar.gz files, which will require you to make && configure, but those are rare.

ViperAFK

Yeah the only distro I ever have to compile anything on is arch, I havent had to compile an app in ubuntu in years, 90% of software you need is in the repos, other 9% available in ppa's and you can find debs for basically anything too these days (which are double click and install just like windows)

ViperAFK

ubuntu has the latest awn in its repos, also there is a ppa for the latest stable release and a ppa for testing releases, ubuntu has come a long way when it comes to getting updated packages for things. There is ppa's for most popular apps.

markjensen

Why cant eveyone stick to the easiest solution which seems to be deb? Why create all these damn formats? makes no sense. and is very annoying.

I can tell you right now that if all the software for ubuntu came out as a deb, or another easy to install (for normal users), the usershare of ubuntu would get even higher.

Well, the LSB (Linux Standards Base) actually specifies RPM as the standard package format. So, technically, Debian (Ubuntu and others) are all deviating from the LSB by using .DEB files. No biggie, as both of those are double-clickable to run/install. Debian has a program called "alien" to import an RPM into its DEB system.

I think that the problem newbies face is the .tar.gz type of format. These are often provided because they are universal to all Linux flavors. Every Linux can extract from a tarball and compile from source. It isn't noob-friendly, but it is a one-size-fits-all solution for individuals who want to release their software but are too busy (lazy?) to create .rpm .deb pre-compiled packages.

As for that last bit you mentioned, most software for Ubuntu does come out pre-compiled as .debs.

Charisma

*snip*

I suppose the software store/center (whatever its called) helps with that, but alot of that software is outdated, and i dunno how to update all the listings in the store. they need to make that easier or automatic as well.

apt-get update -- updates the list with the latest software

apt-get upgrade -- installs the newest version of the packages you already have installed on your system.

*shooting star* The more you know!