Likes & Dislikes of windows 7?

I have quite a few dislikes...

- Thumbnail view being lame. Viewing a folder of albums in "Large icon view" just isn't the same as XP's Thumbnail view.

- No explorer status bar! Have to use 3rd party software to get it back. I use it to calculate the total size of files in a directory quickly.

- Control Panel "small icons" is actually "List view"... I find it more difficult to navigate.

- Windows Photo Viewer isn't as responsive as the one in XP, even on a much more powerful system, it feels more clunky.

Things I like...

- Running things at user level, proper permissions finally.

- Taskbar showing progress meters

- Being able to shuffle icons on the taskbar and notification area.

I dislike having to call microsoft whenever I make system changes to reactivate. There should be some streamlined online way to re-activate the key under a new configuration while abandoning the old configuration. This, combined with the fact that half the time I can't understand what they are saying over the phone, has led me to simply buy one copy, then install activation cracks permanently thereafter.

This activation and online saving, etc. must increase their sales, because everyone is doing it now. It hasn't stopped, one bit, the ability for people to pirate the stuff though.

I dislike having to call microsoft whenever I make system changes to reactivate. There should be some streamlined online way to re-activate the key under a new configuration while abandoning the old configuration. This, combined with the fact that half the time I can't understand what they are saying over the phone, has led me to simply buy one copy, then install activation cracks permanently thereafter.

This activation and online saving, etc. must increase their sales, because everyone is doing it now. It hasn't stopped, one bit, the ability for people to pirate the stuff though.

they need to fix there activation junk as of right now it has flaws in it which they could fix but they don't want to. getting rid of it entirely would solve every problem they have. it would save them on support costs.

What I don't like about Win7 is:

- Can't see how much HDD a folder is taking up. In XP, a glance down at the status bar can tell you the size. (0 clicks) but in Win7 you need to go into Properties to see it's folder size (2 clicks)

- My legit key was blacklisted by MS so I'm sitting here unactivated after a reinstall. Can't use the phone option as I'm hearing impaired. what do I do in this situation?

Other than those two current gripes, Win7 is very streamlined and well designed.

One more annoyance I found today... Windows 7 compresses wallpapers, even if you are using a BMP image.

It's really noticeable on detailed pictures, you have to use [Firefox -> Set as desktop wallpaper] to get around it. :/

dude,

post your likes and dislikes of win 7.

my choice,

likes: more faster comparing with vista, more stylish, background security and more.

only dislikes for me, compatibility issues for some old games.

I don't have compatibility issues with old games?

next to that.. it seems that my windows is slowing down (when im playing some games) when im like 9 or 10 hours in game.. it starts bugging out on me and i have to reboot to make it run smooth again..

but yeah its decent. Windows Vista couldnt do the 10 hour ingame thing. it would just give me some Ran out of virtual memory issue and shut down anyway. (this one does that sometimes.. but i can click the warning away and it will continue :D)

+1 for the icon corruption prob. Another was the solid background bug, BUT this has now been fixed. And the program for this tuner, the recorded tv programs were out of sync. And lagged in Media Center. But its fine in Vista. But at least the DVB-T tuner works in Windows 7 Media Center (it doesnt in Vista).

Haven't installed Win7 again, to find out if the same fix that fixed the solid background fixes the lag / out of sync issue. Besides that its fine. I've also killed UAC because it can give you access denied errors, when you update some programs (it can do the same thing in Vista x64 (which is what I'm using atm). Till SP1 for Win7 comes up. Then I may decide to reinstall Win7 again

I dislike how it has no support for AGP cards :p damn my old system and damn windows for giving up on it! lol

Actually it does. I'm using Win7 x64, on an AMD socket 754. With a 9550 AGP card. There are drivers for it on the AMD site

ok so here is another dislike.

you can just look at my signature for the specs..

(not in the specs) Win7 Ultimate 64.

so i was just copying like 10 gb of HD video off my my video and at the same time i was trying to just save a simple picture off the internet.

the whole computer locks up and has to wait for the video to finish copying before i can do anything else.

It should clearly be able to do both at the same time..

man that ****es me off.

?If I select multiple files, like tiff images or psd files, the context menu does not show "open with photoshop"?:/

Seriously, anyone know how to restore this functionality?

I've used Win 7 since the beta, upgraded to the RC, tried every version for a month or so after release (have several computers), and now have Ult 64bit on my main system. My Win 7 Ult 64 is so customized that it hardly resembles the original setup anymore.

Couldn't stand losing my Quicklaunch menu, so created one... complete with the Show Desktop icon.

Changed the default pic at logon and welcome screen backround (we use a domain server).

I immediately set the display to a lower resolution, and then highlight a desktop icon, hold cntl, and scroll to make my desktop icons smaller again. (Too many years on a computer have made me about blind so 1920x1680 on a 24" monitor gives me serious eye strain) I've never run into the icons moving around.

One of the first things I did was turn off libraries, but now it seems a Windows update has disabled that hack. I absolutely hate Libraries, and especially the way they're integrated into IE8. Saving a group of images used to be 2 clicks (right click, save as) and it went to the folder that was used last. Now its a much more difficult operation as Windows opens the folder it thinks I should be using, or just goes to the Libraries options. So now I use Opera to get around that.

I also have UAC turned off. I have 3rd party AV and Antispyware that are much more intuitive and don't get in the way as much. In my humble opinion, they do a much better job.

I have 2 customers (out of about 1000 so far) who ran into the "the display has stopped working and recovered" error, which could only be fixed by swapping video cards from nVidia to ATI and visa versa. Something in the drivers becomes corrupt and just swapping drivers with the same manufacturer doesn't overwrite the problem.

And yes, I have a few games that won't work (Warcraft II BNE just won't start regardless of compatibility mode and even with the latest patch, Spellforce 2 the protection crashes the OS completely upon reboot after installation - requiring the installation DVD and repair). Pretty sure there's more, but that's what comes to mind immediately.

Had to uninstall Quicktime as it caused Win 7 to constantly revert to basic settings, and its amazing how many apps that have nothing to do with Quicktime get tied to it when its installed.

Etc., etc.. Thankfully I use Acronis, because setting this all up again manually to the way I want it would take weeks. :)

Overall, Win 7 is MUCH more stable than Vista. On the few occasions that it has crashed, the repair from the installation DVD worked, where its never worked for me on Vista. The graphics are tremendously better and audio is much improved for surround sound (gotta have my 40,000 FLAC files playing in 5.1 @ 500w RMS).

I still use dual boot with XP Pro, and will probably take me another year or so to ween off it completely. But I find myself using Win 7 more and more as time goes on, and having fewer complaints and more things to like about it. :)

Likes - Frequent Leaks before RTM :D and Everything

Dislike - No Major changes to UI (looks similar to Vista , talking about aero borders)

Seriously, anyone know how to restore this functionality?

If the files are the same type, and the correct app is set to open that file format by default, it should just work when hitting "open". Check to make sure something hasn't changed the default file associations.

Both Vista and 7 have a built in limit of 15 files to open at once. Haven't tried this, but supposedly this is a work around for that issue in case you need to open more than 15 or want to open various file types at once on Vista. No guarantee it'll work with Win 7 either, although don't see why not as they're the same file basic structure and the sendto folder can be found in the same manner:

http://forums.techarena.in/vista-help/1056937.htm

Otherwise I have no idea, sorry. :(

There's lots of things I like about Windows 7, so I'll just list some of my dislikes.

• Explorer needs tabs!!! Combined taskbar buttons just isn't sufficient when working with several folders.
  • Status Pane needs to always show file size. At the very least, give us a registry tweak. (For those that don't know, Classic Shell fixes this for the status bar)
  • UAC screen flicker.
  • UAC needs a "Remember this Program" checkbox or something similar.
  • Alt+Tab. I use VistaSwitcher instead because I can see window titles, and not just thumbnails.
  • The folder dialog needs improvement. No favorites. No recent folders. No search function. Can't select multiple folders. Sometimes, there's no New Folder button. I think they should just merge the file and folder dialogs into one, so we get the features of both.

Everything in this post

my dislikes are:

I also have the problem wit icons randomly moving around on my desktop

the photo viewer just isn't as good as the one in XP it doesn't even do .gif images anymore

besides that, everything's great about Windows 7,

now I'm just hoping they don't go threw with making Windows 8 cloud based lol :p

UAC needs a "Remember this Program" checkbox or something similar +1!!! God this is annoying

I'll have to agree with this one as well, it is annoying but it doesn't really bother me oddly though

I dislike how it has no support for AGP cards :p damn my old system and damn windows for giving up on it! lol

Strange my ATI Radeon 3850 (AGP) works great with Windows 7 and no I do not use the ATI Hotfix drivers on my system.

As far as Dislikes UAC should have been hard-coded with no way for the user to lower the settings or shut it down.

I've read somewhere that UAC doesn't have a 'remember this program' feature because if there is a list then malware can and will try to attach itself to that list thereby defeating the purpose of UAC.

I immediately set the display to a lower resolution, and then highlight a desktop icon, hold cntl, and scroll to make my desktop icons smaller again. (Too many years on a computer have made me about blind so 1920x1680 on a 24" monitor gives me serious eye strain) I've never run into the icons moving around.

Ever heard of DPI?

The ONLY dislike i HAD, was that on our work machines the network drives became unavailable after you stop using your machine for more than 10 minutes. Also printers would stop working etc.

Turns out that you need to tell Windows it cant power down the NIC as a power saving feature, then all works fine (Y).

Other than that, Windows 7 is brilliant!

I've read somewhere that UAC doesn't have a 'remember this program' feature because if there is a list then malware can and will try to attach itself to that list thereby defeating the purpose of UAC.

that makes sense actually