Apple Announces WWDC 2010 Dates: June 7-11

301 members have voted

1. 1. What will see at WWDC 2010 besides iPhone Updates?

• Upgraded Mac hardware (Mac Pro, Mac Mini)
    • Mac OS X 10.7
    • New versions of iLife/iWork
    • Safari 5
    • iTunes 10
    • Next iteration of iPad
    • Updated Apple TV
    • Cloud computing
    • Updated Apple Cinema Displays
    • One more thing (specify in this thread)

090801-wwdc_2010_banner.jpg

Apple today announced that this year's Worldwide Developer Conference (WWDC) will take place from June 7th through 11th at San Francisco's Moscone West convention center.

The Apple Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) is the premier technical conference for developers innovating with Apple technologies. Over 1,000 Apple engineers will be at Moscone West to present advanced coding and development techniques that will show you how to enhance the capabilities of your applications with the revolutionary technologies in iPhone OS and Mac OS X.

As always, the conference will include technical sessions and hands-on labs for attendees, as well as other special events. Registration for the conference is priced at $1599, with tickets for the conference having sold out increasingly quickly over the past couple of years. Given the short lead time on ticket sales this year, developers will likely have to move quickly to secure a spot in the conference.

Apple is widely expected to introduce its new iPhone hardware during a keynote address at the event, although the device has already received considerable publicity since Gizmodo published details on one lost by an Apple employee in a California bar.

Source: Mac Rumors

Gentlemen, start your speculations: What are Apple going to announce this year?

Yes, I think the focus would be on the iPhone HD.

It's about time they gave those aging Mac Pro's a facelift however, haha. And something for the Air, after the recent round of MacBook updates.

Edit: There'll likely not be anything special on OS X 10.7 anyway: http://www.techfuels.com/latest-hardware-news/34754-no-mac-os-x-10-7-wwdc-year.html

I think it is a bit too early for a sneak preview of where Mac OS X 10.7 is heading, that will probably be next years WWDC? :/

I think they will show off the new iPhone at least.

Cool, I was afraid this was going to be while I was on vacation. Fortunately it will be the week after I get back, so I can watch some of the live feeds.

Cool, I was afraid this was going to be while I was on vacation. Fortunately it will be the week after I get back, so I can watch some of the live feeds.

Live video feed? I thought they never have those. The bloggers do live coverage however.

Live video feed? I thought they never have those. The bloggers do live coverage however.

Notable exception this year is going to be Gizmodo.

Notable exception this year is going to be Gizmodo.

Have they actually been banned of all events? They might still be there... minus Jason Chen.

Have they actually been banned of all events? They might still be there... minus Jason Chen.

No one knows yet. But: Do you really think they're going to be invited after the iPhone 4G stunt? I highly doubt it.

The live blog feeds are what I was referring to, obviously. :rolleyes: Although I do miss the live video feeds that Apple used to do years ago.

Gizmodo's take on the WWDC announcement and details posted on the Apple website so far:

The Center of Apple's Universe

Worldwide Developers Conference 2010 makes it more clear than ever what Apple's real priorities are: iPhone and iPad. Mac OS X is an also ran.

In fact, you'd be forgiven for thinking that Apple only makes the iPhone and iPad?Mac OS X is barely mentioned, and almost in passing. Its most conspicuous absence, and most potent signal to developers that Apple believes the real place for innovation is the iPhone, is the fact that the Apple Design Awards are only for iPhone OS apps this year. Mac OS X applications simply don't matter enough anymore, apparently.

This was all kind of an inevitable trajectory. The iPad and the information appliance is the future of computing according to Apple, not the Mac, which still uses the same dated desktop metaphor as the original Macintosh over 20 years ago. Since its 1997 revival, Apple's always been aggressive about leaving behind legacy technologies?why would it be any different here?

Apple might bring back OS X Apple Design Awards next year, and we might see more OS X action at WWDC. I kind of doubt it. (It seems pretty clear, BTW, that there won't be even a peek at OS 10.7 this year.) But make no mistake about the significance here: OS X's absence in Apple's app universe speaks volumes.

Source

What WILL happen according to me :

- A long introduction of the new iPhone and its exclusive features on the iPhone OS (if it sports a front-camera -> iChat app, etc.)

- Release of iPhone OS 4.0

- Release of XCode 4.0 I think (well, the one that's in beta along with iPhone OS 4.0)

- A quick introduction of the new Mac Pros… but apparently they're leaving the Macs alone this year, I don't know why they'd do this

- A quick introduction of the new displays along with the new Mac Pros?

- I'm missing something here… just one thing and it makes a pretty complete keynote.

What WON'T happen according to me :

- OS X 10.7

- Laptops, iMacs, Mac Minis

- iPad

090801-wwdc_2010_banner.jpg

Apple today announced that this year's Worldwide Developer Conference (WWDC) will take place from June 7th through 11th at San Francisco's Moscone West convention center.

As always, the conference will include technical sessions and hands-on labs for attendees, as well as other special events. Registration for the conference is priced at $1599, with tickets for the conference having sold out increasingly quickly over the past couple of years. Given the short lead time on ticket sales this year, developers will likely have to move quickly to secure a spot in the conference.

Apple is widely expected to introduce its new iPhone hardware during a keynote address at the event, although the device has already received considerable publicity since Gizmodo published details on one lost by an Apple employee in a California bar.

Source: Mac Rumors

Gentlemen, start your speculations: What are Apple going to announce this year?

What has the new Apple iPhone 4G got then in the way of specifications and features?

I'd like to see at last some mention of the future of Mac OS X, but I really doubt we'll hear anything about it at all.

I'm a bit worried about the future of Mac OS X and Macs. It seems like Apple is putting less and less effort in it every year... :/

True? Can?t say Snow Leopard is something really ?spectacular? as compared to the previous releases, and Windows 7 has, IMO, almost caught up with OS X?

Now with the iPad and the iPhone, their efforts are somewhere else. But the thing is, they take a lot of their OS X resources to develop the iPhone OS, when they really should have two different teams.

Or maybe we?ll all be blown away by OS X 10.7 or OS XI, but right now this seems so far away? doesn?t seem like it?s ever going to happen :(

That?s why I stick to my speculations and think they will mention something about new Mac Pros. It?s about time they release new ones.

I'm a bit worried about the future of Mac OS X and Macs. It seems like Apple is putting less and less effort in it every year... :/

Apple stopped being a computer company in 2001. Now they're in the "trendy, disposable consumer electronics" business. It was obviously the right business decision, but it's abundantly clear their computers have taken a major hit. I mean, back in 2000 and 2001, Apple was releasing computer products that were literally innovative... The first computers to have Wi-Fi, the first computers to have gigabit Ethernet, the first computers to be made out of titanium, the first computers to have backlit keyboards, etc. Nowadays, Apple computers are far behind... They're just now getting the Core i5/i7 processors and still haven't adopted Blu-ray.

For me looking in retrospect the high point was just as the i-devices were rising and Apple was still heavily dependent on delivering quality computers with a top notch operating system. For me it was back when I purchased my eMac 1.0Ghz model it was running 10.2.4, but when 10.3 came out it was buggy which got worse with each update, 10.4 was pretty bad, 10.5 was appalling and 10.6 was just down right horrible.

True… Can’t say Snow Leopard is something really “spectacular” as compared to the previous releases, and Windows 7 has, IMO, almost caught up with OS X…

Now with the iPad and the iPhone, their efforts are somewhere else. But the thing is, they take a lot of their OS X resources to develop the iPhone OS, when they really should have two different teams.

Or maybe we’ll all be blown away by OS X 10.7 or OS XI, but right now this seems so far away… doesn’t seem like it’s ever going to happen :(

That’s why I stick to my speculations and think they will mention something about new Mac Pros. It’s about time they release new ones.

I remember when Snow Leopard came out I was bashing Windows 7 like crazy, I sounded like a real idiot; heck, I hadn't even tried Windows 7 but that didn't stop be from blasting my mouth off saying stupid things. Well, I have since tried it and as a 9 year Mac zealot I can tell you that Windows 7 not only meets but also beats Mac OS X 10.6 pretty easily. Not just a minor 'superiority' but a majority leap in superiority over 10.6.

For me, I don't expect any improvements in 10.7 - next year will be the year I upgrade to a Windows 7 desktop and laptop (possibly Dell, Sony, or Lenovo - isn't choice great :) ). Apple had their chances and as demonstrated by the Flash fiasco and refusal to fix operating system issues, Safari performance issues, lack of hardware acceleration (and when added it is only for a small number of video cards), then there is the increasing arrogance and refusal to fix bugs in the operating system - its pretty much sealed the deal with me.

Apple stopped being a computer company in 2001. Now they're in the "trendy, disposable consumer electronics" business. It was obviously the right business decision, but it's abundantly clear their computers have taken a major hit. I mean, back in 2000 and 2001, Apple was releasing computer products that were literally innovative... The first computers to have Wi-Fi, the first computers to have gigabit Ethernet, the first computers to be made out of titanium, the first computers to have backlit keyboards, etc. Nowadays, Apple computers are far behind... They're just now getting the Core i5/i7 processors and still haven't adopted Blu-ray.

Agreed; I swear if Apple could get away with not making computers they would drop the division straight away and just become a gadget company.

Mark my words, Mac sales will dip (or have already) below the market growth rate as people slowly realise that once you turn off the RDF, the BS that Steve Jobs spews has little in the way of reality to back it up. Here we are in 2010 and they've finally provided a video acceleration framework for *ONLY* three video cards, the video cards that exist still have major performance issues when compared to Windows performance, Apple still haven't upgraded OpenGL to 3.2 yet etc.

Like I said in the above reply, 2011 will be the year of the Windows 7 desktop/laptop for me. Unless Apple can really pull out a miracle and promise to do something awesome with 10.7 there is no reason for me to hang around in the Mac world any longer.

Mark my words, Mac sales will dip (or have already) below the market growth rate as people slowly realise that once you turn off the RDF, the BS that Steve Jobs spews has little in the way of reality to back it up. Here we are in 2010 and they've finally provided a video acceleration framework for *ONLY* three video cards, the video cards that exist still have major performance issues when compared to Windows performance, Apple still haven't upgraded OpenGL to 3.2 yet etc.

Like I said in the above reply, 2011 will be the year of the Windows 7 desktop/laptop for me. Unless Apple can really pull out a miracle and promise to do something awesome with 10.7 there is no reason for me to hang around in the Mac world any longer.

I think from a business point of view Apple have got it spot on the last 10 years. Mac sales are actually increasing : https://www.neowin.net/news/apple-q2-2010-earnings-mac-sales-up-33-and-iphone-up-131 - and this is because the iPod and iPhone has changed their target market from just the hardcore mac users (which I never was) to practically everyone. I've never owned a mac although I've had a few iPod's and I'm an avid iPhone user. If mac's weren't so expensive I'd get one in an instant.

Windows 7 was the turning point for Microsoft and Apple will have to move their resources around a bit to keep OSX an interesting alternative - they certainly have the money to hire more programmers so it shouldn't really be an issue. It's also worth noting that the latest Ubuntu releases are slowly treading their toes over OSX by adding similar features and adopting a similar philosophy, and although it will probably never be "the year of the linux desktop", with every release they have a better proposition.

I think from a business point of view Apple have got it spot on the last 10 years. Mac sales are actually increasing : https://www.neowin.net/news/apple-q2-2010-earnings-mac-sales-up-33-and-iphone-up-131 - and this is because the iPod and iPhone has changed their target market from just the hardcore mac users (which I never was) to practically everyone. I've never owned a mac although I've had a few iPod's and I'm an avid iPhone user. If mac's weren't so expensive I'd get one in an instant.

Windows 7 was the turning point for Microsoft and Apple will have to move their resources around a bit to keep OSX an interesting alternative - they certainly have the money to hire more programmers so it shouldn't really be an issue. It's also worth noting that the latest Ubuntu releases are slowly treading their toes over OSX by adding similar features and adopting a similar philosophy, and although it will probably never be "the year of the linux desktop", with every release they have a better proposition.

Most of Apple's growth has been off the back of Windows Vista (and the low starting point), just as with AMD's growth was off the back of the P4. The problem is that when Microsoft released Windows 7 Apple had nothing to go up against it; all they had was 10.6 which was 'good enough' instead of 'mops the floor with Windows 7'. I admit the reason why I kept with Mac OS X was because Windows XP was horrible, Windows Vista was just plain terrible but Windows 7 is the first version of Windows I haven't had complete revile for. Maybe the lack of exposure to the Windows world has allowed me to jump in at the Windows 7 end instead of putting up with 10 years of bad decisions - but what ever the case maybe Windows 7 is a great operating system.

The problem is that they're not hiring more developers, they're failing to properly and fully support hardware (where is hardware acceleration to the other video cards?), they're failing to address long standing bugs with Mac OS X 10.6, they've failed to address performance issues with Safari which would fix a number of performance problems Flash has, they've refused to fix major bugs that cause problems in third party applications (Microsoft Office and Spaces anyone? that is a bug with Mac OS X, not with Office) etc. etc.

Also the 'earnings up' but it is ignoring not only the rate of new computers being sold (the growth is above what Apple is growing at) but also the fact that many Windows Vista machines are being upgraded to Windows 7 at the highest rate - so both Mac and Windows are neck and neck. But as so far as sales meaning anything - they mean nothing. Sales don't equal whether a product is good or bad; in many cases there are good products that are overlooked in favour of the average one marketed really creatively.

For me looking in retrospect the high point was just as the i-devices were rising and Apple was still heavily dependent on delivering quality computers with a top notch operating system. For me it was back when I purchased my eMac 1.0Ghz model it was running 10.2.4, but when 10.3 came out it was buggy which got worse with each update, 10.4 was pretty bad, 10.5 was appalling and 10.6 was just down right horrible.

Most operating systems, including those put out by Microsoft, have their fair share of problems when they initially hit the market. Mac OS X isn't any different. Mac OS X Panther, Tiger, Leopard and Snow Leopard all turned out fine after a few point updates.