• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Apple Announces WWDC 2010 Dates: June 7-11

301 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

rawr_boy81    41
Most operating systems, including those put out by Microsoft, have their fair share of problems when they initially hit the market. Mac OS X isn't any different. Mac OS X Panther, Tiger, Leopard and Snow Leopard all turned out fine after a few point updates.

Mac OS X 10.5 even after 8 updates was still problematic, and 10.3.9 has some weird buggy issues with updates even before then not fixing the bugginess of it, 10.4 wasn't particularly tuned for Intel and finder in all releases until 10.6 was just plain horrible. I don't expect perfection but I do expect bugs to be fixed that are causing large third applications not to operate reliably, I do also expect that by the time the 10.6.3 we aren't sitting around expecting features to be included that should have appeared in the RTM, and I do expect Apple to work with the likes of Adobe and address the short comings of their operating system to make Flash perform better instead of Steve standing on the side lines abusing Adobe for 'Flash sucking' (even though Apple's inaction is making it suck more than it needs to be).

.Neo    1,834

Every operating system has its fair share of bugs... They way people are affected differs. I had some issues with Tiger back when it was first released, but Snow Leopard for example pretty much worked brilliantly right from the start.

DomZ    26

Also the 'earnings up' but it is ignoring not only the rate of new computers being sold (the growth is above what Apple is growing at)

You got any facts on how general pc growth vs mac growth actually compare? Considering we've just come out/still in a recession a 33% growth when they haven't really announced anything exciting/new for the Mac's is hardly to be sniffed at. In fact a quick google suggests that Apple outperformed the market - http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=33111 - with the overall PC growth between 24-27%. Yes a 33% increase on Apple's "share" isn't the same as Microsoft getting a 20% increase on its "share" but they are growing quicker.

But as so far as sales meaning anything - they mean nothing. Sales don't equal whether a product is good or bad; in many cases there are good products that are overlooked in favour of the average one marketed really creatively.

Sales mean everything. Apple is a business at the end of the day, and if they can keep making these profits doing what they are doing they won't care whether or not the products are actually any good. Of course when companies get successful they become complacement...

RoomKid    15

Can't wait, hoping for an upgrade for the iPod line, any maybe iPhone 4G :blush:

.Neo    1,834

Can't wait, hoping for an upgrade for the iPod line, any maybe iPhone 4G :blush:

The iPod lineup is almost always updated around September.

Lamp0    638

iTunes X?

DomZ    26

A totally revamped iTunes would be nice. And one that doesn't run like a slug on windows.

PyX    140

I can't say I had problems with Tiger… I had the first version on Intel, which was 10.4.7 and it was pretty snappy. With Leopard, after 10.5.2 everything went nice. And Snow Leopard pretty much nailed it directly at 10.6.0.

About iTunes, I'm pretty positive they will do a major rewrite for iTunes X. A few UI corrections, cocoa-only, 64bit, with the latest Webkit framework and it will be much, MUCH faster on OS X. About Windows, well they managed to write a brand new Safari on Windows and it pwns if you want my opinion… they will do the same with iTunes. Rewriting it on the OS X platform would require rewriting it on the Windows platform also, so while they're at it…

That will happen in September though. Actually, it was a let down last year when I learned that it still wasn’t Cocoa + 64-bit. Snow Leopard was heading there already, so why not iTunes too? Was it too big to test it on a beta OS like Snow Leopard? Maybe they wouldn’t know if the bugs came from SL or iTunes… but now that SL is perfectly fixed in all ways, they have no reason.

.Neo    1,834

Mac OS X Tiger's issues were with the initial release. I still remember how many people here on Neowin, including myself, experienced bugs and odd behavior when it first came out at the end of April 2005. Unlike many Leopard and Snow Leopard cases these bugs weren't caused by people upgrading from a previous Mac OS X version or by bad 3rd party software. Tiger was released before it was ready, the GM-build felt like a damn beta.

However, Tiger did for Panther what Snow Leopard did for Leopard. Much faster, much more responsive. My Mac felt like a whole different machine after installing Tiger from Panther.

+Frank B.    7,151

With only 3 days left it's time to dig up the thread and ask: What are we going to see during the Stevenote besides the new iPhone and iPhone OS 4?

Poll added. Multiple selections are allowed.

Elliott    235

I'm hoping for Safari 5 and a small peak at OS X 10.7, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Steve B.    467

It's a shame about OS X, namely because Apple could do much better marketing for it. Unfortunately they've let it slip into their secondary market. They've taken the iPod, and said "Let's do this with it, and add that." As such this spawned the iPhone, and later the iPad.

Apple are more in league with Samsung and <Insert Media and Phone manufacturer here> rather than Microsoft, Dell and PC manufacturers. They missed a big opportunity during the Vista era to jump in and get some vital market share, but instead they focused on the iPhone/Pad.

RadishTM    312

It's a shame about OS X, namely because Apple could do much better marketing for it. Unfortunately they've let it slip into their secondary market. They've taken the iPod, and said "Let's do this with it, and add that." As such this spawned the iPhone, and later the iPad.

Apple are more in league with Samsung and <Insert Media and Phone manufacturer here> rather than Microsoft, Dell and PC manufacturers. They missed a big opportunity during the Vista era to jump in and get some vital market share, but instead they focused on the iPhone/Pad.

Even though Jobs has stated previously that it's all about the software, Apple is a hardware company overall and always has been.

I just want to see if the new iPhone has 64GB (because I'll snap one up or I'll get a HTC Desire if it doesn't) as well as iPhone OS 4. And any news on OS X 10.7 would be nice (Y)

LightShadow    39

Safari 5 (Microsoft is already working on IE 9), with some needed updates. Safari is next to IE in the basic browsers section... Like no themes,no add-ons/extensions etc.

iTunes 10 (Works on Windows better, completely better UI)

Now this is going over (Not Likely :p ) But -

Mac OS XI (11), been on OS X for so long. Need's a bit of a revamp me things. I mean same UI concept for so many years (Like Finderbar + Dock)

Apple SDK for Windows (Make iPhone/iPod Touch apps on Windows)

I at least hope one of these is gonna be true.

Quattrone    19

I can't wait to update to iPhone 4.0

+Frank B.    7,151

Not very surprisingly, Gizmodo hasn't been invited to the keynote and ask their readers for help with the live coverage.

I can't say I'm sympathising with them.

thealexweb    204

Not very surprisingly, Gizmodo hasn't been invited to the keynote and ask their readers for help with the live coverage.

It's a bit Rude for them not even to get a replie from the smug gits at Apple.

Quattrone    19

mmmmm, as far as I am concern, if they paid the ticket, why they can't be there?

Tech Star    254

MobileMe becoming free.

Quillz    1,011

I'd like to see iTunes X completely rewritten for Cocoa. I'd also like to hear something, anything, in regards to Mac OS X.

sundayx    127

I just can't see Jobs fitting anything else other than iPhone and Apps Store on the June 7 Keynote. They're the only things that are pointed to on invites and banners. Other things will come as web previews/hardware updates via Apple Store.

Vice    1,593

Ever since the iPhone debuted I have become more and more disappointed with the way OS X takes a back seat to it. Yes the iPhone is great but can we get back to basics and see some OS X again. It would be nice to have them do a conference that doesn't start with 'And for you in attendance you can preview the next version of OS X later on' and then show absolutely nothing on stage.

Stetson    180

Also the 'earnings up' but it is ignoring not only the rate of new computers being sold (the growth is above what Apple is growing at)

iSuppli: Apple was only US PC maker to outgrow market in Q1 2010

By AppleInsider Staff

Published: 03:00 PM EST

The greatest growth in the PC industry in the first quarter of 2010 came from overseas computer manufacturers, with one exception in the U.S.: Apple.

Mac shipments increased 32.4 percent year-over-year in the first three months of 2010, hitting 2.8 million worldwide iSuppli said Friday. That was well beyond the industry-wide growth of 22.7 percent in the same time period -- the largest year-over-year growth in a quarter ever tracked by iSuppli.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/06/04/isuppli_apple_was_only_us_pc_maker_to_outgrow_market_in_q1_2010.html

deuz    2

they better goddamn announce a new iphone just so i can decide whether i want to get a new iphone or an android phone....bleh..