Meet Firefox 4.0.1

we need to spread these stats

Impressive Stats.

that's a lot of bugs O_O

Well that maybe true. most important all, those bugs have been turn into fixes.

the nightlies which BETA 7 will be based from are also stable and fast during my normal web usage, haven't had a crash or rendering issue for a long time

For anyone who has beta 7 build 1 installed, do you notice that when FF is not the active window, the Menu button becomes transparent? At first, I thought it could have been a stylish code I was using, but even after disabling all of those, the problem still existed. Never saw this happen in beta 6.

For anyone who has beta 7 build 1 installed, do you notice that when FF is not the active window, the Menu button becomes transparent? At first, I thought it could have been a stylish code I was using, but even after disabling all of those, the problem still existed. Never saw this happen in beta 6.

That is a feature not a bug

Ok thanks for letting me know. Is it also supposed to turn transparent when you click on the button?

Now that's a glitch. It's supposed to have that typical inner-shadow thing that buttons do to look like it's being pressed.. The button transparency when FF is out of focus is definitely a feature though. It's supposed to copy how the window controls on the top-right become transparent.

The button's going to be changed to remain orange/purple all the time.

Couple of reasons why, brand recognition, and there's a latency between the window losing focus and the button being re-drawn.

The button's going to be changed to remain orange/purple all the time.

Couple of reasons why, brand recognition, and there's a latency between the window losing focus and the button being re-drawn.

The latency is simply a performance issue with Firefox.

There are two real problems with the button,

1. Direct2D renders the font differently

2. The shading does not match that of the buttons on the right.

As of Firefox7 build1, my old stylesheets don't work for the appmenu-button. Here's my new code to get rid of the orange button, but still have a purple button in private mode:

#appmenu-button {
    padding: 5px 28px 3px 0px !important;
}
#main-window:not([privatebrowsingmode=temporary]) #appmenu-button {
    background-image: none !important;
}
#appmenu-button .button-text {
    display: none !important;
}

If you don't want the purple button you can just use:

#appmenu-button {
    padding: 5px 28px 3px 0px !important;
    background-image: none !important;
}
#appmenu-button .button-text {
    display: none !important;
}

post-345352-12889900735252.png

Nice. Firefox 4.0 Beta 7 is currently using 50% more memory Beta 6 ever did. (1.5 GB vs 1.0 GB.)

What a mess.

It's using a gig of memory?! How many tabs do you have open? :unsure:

yep, ff4 uses about 50% more ram, with 1 tab it uses around 108mb, compared to 70mb ish for ff 3.6.12, with tons of tabs open it still uses 50% more ram. I don't know why on earth mozilla let this happen. Not everyone has tons of ram, luckily i've got 4gb in my laptop and desktop but most people don't. Its as fast as hell compared to beta 6 which was incredibly laggy at loading multiple tabs, scrolling through tabs etc, its extremely quick, i just wish it didn't use so much ram.

Still waiting for the UI changes to get finalized. The increased support for web standards, stability, security, and bug fixes is great... but I'm a total ###### for beautiful interface designs.

The latency is simply a performance issue with Firefox.

There are two real problems with the button,

1. Direct2D renders the font differently

2. The shading does not match that of the buttons on the right.

Well yeah, it isn't an issue with Windows.

When the window gains/loses focus, it "flushes" the styles and rebuilds them, and invalidates the window. This isn't exactly fast, but it's needed (otherwise the window and all it's contents would keep the active visual state in the background)

The font issue is strange (DirectWrite reports entirely different font metrics than GDI does), that could probably be fixed though (it's either a bug in the DW code or the GDI code, or GDI/DW just reports the wrong values). And the shading is on purpose as far as I can see.

just installed the beta 7 candidate on win7 (only had it in XP VMs before), looks pretty nice in person!

Wow, a candidate for a Beta :rolleyes: When are they going to release the candidate to the candidate of the Beta? :laugh: