Meet Firefox 4.0.1

cool I had seen this but I guess I did not read enough of the info about it, thanks

Well that failed again LOL I recall the same thing happening last time, so maybe I loaded it. I think that extension works

fine but I think one of my extensions isn't playing nice with 4.0 at all. When I opened it for the first time there were three

tabs, one the welcome and two blank. I could not close either of these tabs. When I open and new tab I cannot close them.

So it I loaded 20 of them they would all not close. I also could not access the extensions applet to try disabling each one. Home

page button doesn't work but maybe that is the Fast Dial extension. I think I would need to backup my profile, delete it and start

from scratch on this version.

Beta 7 is coming out tomorrow, and they plan to have Beta 8 come out in 3 weeks time (probably hit that, there's only like 200 bugs for b8, there was 2,500 or so for b7)

Although the website has not change the link... You can now take the original link from beta 6 and simply remove the 6 and replace it with the number 7 and it will give you a direct html link to the beta.

original link: http://www.mozilla.c...=win〈=en-US

new link: http://www.mozilla.c...=win〈=en-US

This will automatically provide you with your local build (mine being USA, English)

I have noticed that the last weeks worth of builds to be very good - i can normally browse heavily for a few days without closing the browser with very little slowdown. Something that i couldn't do last month on the nightlies.

Just hoping that Mozilla keep the development at its current pace - therefore releasing a high quality product that organisations are confident of rolling out on their machines to keep the browser market competitive.

Updated through auto updated, Beta 7 is a impressive release much so than beta 6. liking the speed and stability and changes of beta 7, (Y)

Fasten your Seatbelts

Firefox 4 Beta contains huge performance enhancements, including our brand new JägerMonkey Javascript engine. From faster start up times and graphics rendering to improved page load speed, you'll notice the difference instantly.

<P id=perf-graph>perf-graph.pngTests performed on a Dell Optiplex 760 (Intel Core2 Duo), Windows 7 Professional.

So far, I caught the following..

-Hardware acceleration is still laggy and slow.

-Memory usage is high! Two tab opened with no addon-130,xxx K! compare to 40~50k for Chrome & IE8.

-Page border layout below bookmark is not even and the border is flat...looks weird.

They need to work on it more for Windows 7 but it's definitely better than beta 6!

Asynchronous plugin painting has landed on Windows, and it makes the browser much more responsive (and solves the slowdowns with D2D)

Now, the plugin can paint as often as it wants, for as long as it wants, and it won't effect the browser. CPU usage on the browser side drops a whole bunch, and CPU usage on the plugin process goes up (since it's no longer waiting on the browser, it can do as much work as it wants)

Asynchronous plugin painting has landed on Windows, and it makes the browser much more responsive (and solves the slowdowns with D2D)

Now, the plugin can paint as often as it wants, for as long as it wants, and it won't effect the browser. CPU usage on the browser side drops a whole bunch, and CPU usage on the plugin process goes up (since it's no longer waiting on the browser, it can do as much work as it wants)

What's that?

Well before painting was synchronous, so when the plugin wanted to paint the browser had to pause and allow the plugin to paint. This was still happening with out of process plugins (which is less than ideal). So when the plugin slowed down and took longer and longer to paint, the browser slowed down as well because of the pauses waiting for the plugin.

Now, it's asynchronous, so the plugin does it's painting to a in-memory texture, and alerts the browser to that fact, the browser then copies that texture and paints it to the screen. So you use slightly more memory, but get a net speed up (since all the browser has to do is copy a texture, which is very, very quick), and the browser is no longer waiting on the plugin to complete it's painting.

And along the way a few other issues were fixed which increased performance in D2D and plain GDI cases (It used to paint every frame twice to re-build the alpha channel, but Silverlight and Flash don't need that hack now, so it was dropped, and plugins paint normally)

Edit: Oh yeah, and now plugins invalidations are much simpler. The browser just repaints it's texture, it doesn't need to ask the plugin to repaint the invalidated section of the plugin.

Arh, interesting, lots of other improvement in beta 8. Asynchronous plugin painting just suddenly made Firefox rendering super fast.

There are many others I/O bugs waiting to be fixed which will speed up overall Fx responsiveness as well as Start up and Shut down.

Few JS performance bugs, Type inference JIT integration should bring in another 50ms win on SS in AWFY.

Firefox 4.0 is looking more and more like a solid release.

P.S - Forgot to mention there is Compartment GC as well.