Meet Firefox 4.0.1

The Firefox menu above the tabs? Hmm, why do they actually put it above the tabs while claiming that putting the tabs on top is "saving screen space"?

(One of the major reasons why I don't like Chromium-based browsers is the ugly, inflexible UI btw.)

I have a bunch of add-ons indeed, like Smiley Xtra (which is, in fact, a toolbar button) or the Download Helper (which is only useful when displayed in the toolbar, too)... so I really wonder what is "logical" here.

And yeeep, other browsers do the same. But they don't have a programmable user interface like Firefox has always had, right?

I believe that Opera has a pretty flexible UI. Chrome also puts Add-on buttons in the toolbar. Never really had a problem with it. As far as I know tabs-on-top will remain optional though.

As for the Firefox Menu, the end result is to move it up into the titlebar, using space that was unused in previous UIs. Right now it takes up as much space as a standard toolbar but that's slated to change.

Edit: Here's what the final result should look like, in multiple configurations:

Fx-4.0-Mockup-Win7-i03-AppButton-ToT-490x115.png

Fx-4.0-Mockup-Win7-i03-AppButton-ToB-490x115.png

Fx-4.0-Mockup-Win7-i03-AppButton-ToB-BookmarkBar-490x115.png

Can someone describe what titlebar drawing is?

That is the ability for Mozilla to place elements such as the Firefox menu into the top-most portion of the window border. That is the area where the caption (min, max, close) and title of the current window is located.

As for the Firefox Menu, the end result is to move it up into the titlebar, using space that was unused in previous UIs. Right now it takes up as much space as a standard toolbar but that's slated to change.

OK, so where's the improvement here? The common user experience is quite different from these plans. (Microsoft knows that, see Office 2007 ff. :shiftyninja: )

My Firefox currently looks like this:

jhgal5.png

The menu drop-down button is a part of my default toolbar.

Saving screen space is a good and important decision, but I actually doubt that it is necessary to move certain GUI elements all over the window in order to make this step.

OK, so where's the improvement here? The common user experience is quite different from these plans. (Microsoft knows that, see Office 2007 ff. :shiftyninja: )

*Picture Here*

Saving screen space is a good and important decision, but I actually doubt that it is necessary to move certain GUI elements all over the window in order to make this step.

Well, if you take the default firefox setup and move tabs to the bottom and set icons to small it will be pretty close to what you have. No need to install an add-on to hide the menubar.

People have been installing a menu bar hider for many generations of Firefox now. Since it's so popular they're just doing it by default, but in a way that's discoverable for the common user. I don't think that you're really the "common" user. The common user leaves it pretty much as it comes.

I don't think that the improvement is in what can be done by someone who wants to customize (like yourself). In this area, Firefox will still be as tweak-able and customizable as ever. The idea here is to improve the out-of-the-box situation.

What size is your screen? that has to be the most god awful looking application that has ever existed. I've seen retarded monkeys create interfaces using GLADE produce more appealing interfaces than that!

I don't think that you're really the "common" user. The common user leaves it pretty much as it comes.

As a developer and family member, I know pretty much about common users' experiences. And I know that they prefer applications which look like they got used to. :whistle:

The idea here is to improve the out-of-the-box situation.

And who said that it would be an improvement this way? Not the "common users", I presume?

What size is your screen?

1280x800 or something. SXGA. Not full-screened Firefox for the screenshot.

As a developer and family member, I know pretty much about common users' experiences. And I know that they prefer applications which look like they got used to. :whistle:

So how do they arrive at what "they got used to"? Do you set up firefox for them? Your screenshot is very very far from default Firefox 3.

Here's a screenshot I just took after

1) View->Toolbars->Tabs On Top (was checked, I unchecked it)

2) Change icons to small

3) Uncheck "Always Show Tab Bar" in Options.

post-182672-12773491446273.png

Seems to me like it's similar or less customization than what you have done.

In the final version, the Firefox button would sit in the titlebar area without taking up any additional toolbar space.

So how do they arrive at what "they got used to"? Do you set up firefox for them? Your screenshot is very very far from default Firefox 3.

On their machines, a very basic Firefox configuration was set up (by me indeed), without any further GUI modifications. :rolleyes:

My mother comes from Internet Explorer 6, and she is not very computer-addicted, but she knew how to use Firefox immediately. (While she almost despaired when I showed her some screenshots from Office 2007 as she only knows 2003 and OO.org... you see?)

:unsure:

In the final version, the Firefox button would sit in the titlebar area without taking up any additional toolbar space.

Can I move it from there then?

How has direct2d been working?

As far as I am aware,

Recent Issues Fixed,

1) D2D Related Crash

2) Transparent Menus / Bookmarks

3) D2D + Classic Theme Issues

Issues that are still not fixed,

1) Bad performance in some areas

2) D2D related memory leaks

3) Lines

On their machines, a very basic Firefox configuration was set up (by me indeed), without any further GUI modifications. :rolleyes:

My mother comes from Internet Explorer 6, and she is not very computer-addicted, but she knew how to use Firefox immediately. (While she almost despaired when I showed her some screenshots from Office 2007 as she only knows 2003 and OO.org... you see?)

:unsure:

Can I move it from there then?

You can turn on the menu bar if you prefer that. If you're setting it up for an Office 2003 user then that sounds about right.

Edit: Actually it appears that when installed on XP (I would guess that she's still on XP) then the menu bar is visible by default, as it used to be.

Most of the UI changes are for the Vista/Windows 7 era of application UI. The "Classic" interface is over a decade old now. I know that it still has uses, but it's not as if they've kept you from setting it up that way.

I meant, like: Put the "menu" button into the toolbar for my own use. But an optional menu is important, too, yes. :yes:

Thank you for the information then. Hmm, I think I should install some Fx4 nightly one day.

I meant, like: Put the "menu" button into the toolbar for my own use. But an optional menu is important, too, yes. :yes:

Thank you for the information then. Hmm, I think I should install some Fx4 nightly one day.

Yep, a quick stylish script and you can move it wherever. A few pages back there were some examples. For the nightlies I actually use tabs-below and put the menu button on the left end of the tab bar. When they move the menu button up into the titlebar I'll probably leave it there and switch to tabs-on-top.

So it looks like Beta 1 will not land anytime soon then. This nightly does seem pretty damn nice. Enabled direct2d, google maps and bing maps are amazing now. Directwrite fonts are pretty good too. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

1280x800 or something. SXGA. Not full-screened Firefox for the screenshot.

What ever the case maybe, it looks disgusting and I think the lord that you're not making the decisions over at Mozilla because its fugliness is only matched by that of 'Incredimail' and those pig ugly Internet Explorer shells.

• Like 1