Meet Firefox 4.0.1

I noticed both / and f3 are quickfind now. Is there a new hotkey or a way to get the old F3 find back? It had the ability to highlight.

I didn't know about the quickfind thanks for that, but I just tested a / quickfind and it highlighted it's find in green

Yea that's how it's supposed to work. I mean the old Find had the ability to highlight the word you searched throughout the whole page instead of just one instance of it at a time.

I just installed this the other day and as a long term FF3 user I'm a little frustrated. I feel like they've removed some functionality in favour of aesthetics:

There's no progress bar now.

I don't understand the reason for getting rid of the menu bar. I like menus. I can see everything that I can do within the application, quickly and easily. Grouping everything together into one button just makes it harder and now some options aren't in the menu so you need to know the keyboard shortcut to be able to use them (or press Alt to bring up the menu). It just seems silly to me to get rid of the menu bar.

I also feel like if I don't use the default theme layout it looks ugly. If I enable the menu bar it looks like crap. Also if you move tabs underneath the address bar and buttons get very dark and difficult to see.

I don't understand why they have the refresh and stop button on the opposite side of the screen from all the other buttons. Sure it looks cool but when I want to do something I go to the top left where all the buttons are. It seems silly to me to have one button separate.

I just installed this the other day and as a long term FF3 user I'm a little frustrated. I feel like they've removed some functionality in favour of aesthetics:

There's no progress bar now.

I don't understand the reason for getting rid of the menu bar. I like menus. I can see everything that I can do within the application, quickly and easily. Grouping everything together into one button just makes it harder and now some options aren't in the menu so you need to know the keyboard shortcut to be able to use them (or press Alt to bring up the menu). It just seems silly to me to get rid of the menu bar.

I also feel like if I don't use the default theme layout it looks ugly. If I enable the menu bar it looks like crap. Also if you move tabs underneath the address bar and buttons get very dark and difficult to see.

I don't understand why they have the refresh and stop button on the opposite side of the screen from all the other buttons. Sure it looks cool but when I want to do something I go to the top left where all the buttons are. It seems silly to me to have one button separate.

You do know you can change those out and put them back to the left side as separate instead of having them as one on the right side.

I didn't know about the quickfind thanks for that, but I just tested a / quickfind and it highlighted it's find in green

Just use normal find with Ctrl+F

Why when I'm inputting text will Firefox freeze for a second? I've search "Firefox stuttering" with the results pointing to this topic but no specific page.

I can't for the life of me remember. It's because I had only just installed Fx 4.0 after being a long time Chrome user and I was installing extensions left/right/center to try them out. What I can remember is I had terrible lag when inputting text on Neowin/scrolling every few seconds. As you said it was like the whole page would freeze.

Done the next best thing I can think of and show you what extensions I have running (only one you can't see from having to scroll is Yet Another Smooth Scrolling). Maybe you can disable everything you have running I don't and work through them one by one?

extensions.png

You do know you can change those out and put them back to the left side as separate instead of having them as one on the right side.

Yes, I have done that. I just don't understand why it is over there by default. It makes no sense from a usability point of view.

I propose that the community here do tests to see how Firefox 4 affects battery life. Since it is using the GPU, I wonder how battery life is affected. For better, for worse, the same?

Not just for Windows, but for OS X as well. IE 9 vs Firefox 4, Safari vs Firefox 4, Chrome vs Firefox 4 both platforms.

A continuation of http://www.anandtech.com/show/2834

I can't for the life of me remember. It's because I had only just installed Fx 4.0 after being a long time Chrome user and I was installing extensions left/right/center to try them out. What I can remember is I had terrible lag when inputting text on Neowin/scrolling every few seconds. As you said it was like the whole page would freeze.

Done the next best thing I can think of and show you what extensions I have running (only one you can't see from having to scroll is Yet Another Smooth Scrolling). Maybe you can disable everything you have running I don't and work through them one by one?

After your initial post yesterday, I removed "Tin Eye" as well as disabled some old Java add-ins that weren't current, as well as disabling two plugins that were not compatible with FF 4 (Logmein and Reload Tabs on Double Click). Restarted FF and everything is smooth.

Is there anyway to get Firefox to save bookmarks added with the yellow URL bar star somewhere else? It saves everything in unsorted bookmarks which is rather stupid, IMO.

Has anyone enabled the firefox button on Windows Classic style and realized how horrible it looks lol.

post-120066-0-22427200-1301067881.png

Is there anyway to get Firefox to save bookmarks added with the yellow URL bar star somewhere else? It saves everything in unsorted bookmarks which is rather stupid, IMO.

Click on the star again and change the folder.

They're stored in unsorted bookmarks by default, because you can use the awesome bar to find them.

Oh nooooess! I had a memory leak.

My RAM usage was 1.5GB and my PF usage was 1.2GB. 12 tabs. Not good. restarted browser.

Some have said it relates to silverlight detection scripts being botched on purpose to get you to switch to IE8/9. I did go to 2 MS answers pages to help a client. That's where it got ugly. The bug is marked resolved but it still happens.

Now I will try NOT going to any silverlight known det. script pages and shall see about this.

If it still happens I hope to find a fix. This is annoying and I don't want to go back to 3.6.

Is there a way to disable the DirectWrite font rendering without disabling HW Acceleration as a whole?

Also, scrolling is too slow for my liking. Is there a way to increase it other than doing it from Windows mouse settings? Via config maybe?

i like it. switched from chrome to firefox 4 on all three of my computers. love firefox sync too, wish it did extensions though. browser is a huge step up speed wise too compared to v3. LOVE the IU.

i like it. switched from chrome to firefox 4 on all three of my computers. love firefox sync too, wish it did extensions though. browser is a huge step up speed wise too compared to v3. LOVE the IU.

Happy birthday, and yes, it really should support extension sync.

yeah, i was really surprised they didn't do extension sync, that's where chrome wins in my book right now

post-18459-0-39710400-1300737846.png

so it's just me ?

It is happening only when you upgrade from 3.6 -> 4.0 as the Start menu shortcut was changed in Firefox 4 (it was moved from its own folder to the root of All Program menu) but the desktop one is still the same from 3.6. So if you delete the desktop shortcut, this won't happen again.

Is there a way to disable the DirectWrite font rendering without disabling HW Acceleration as a whole?

Also, scrolling is too slow for my liking. Is there a way to increase it other than doing it from Windows mouse settings? Via config maybe?

You can disable Direct2D via about:config, it'll keep some hardware acceleration (page compositing) but disable the rest (page drawing and text rendering)