Meet Firefox 4.0.1

Firefox 3.6.3 is just shy of 5000 on my rig and while Minefield improves on that, it's still waaaay off Chrome's numbers. Surely the new JS engine can't have landed yet?

I run SunSpider + Peacekeeper + V8 and CelticKane and add all 4 toghether for a total score:

post-20816-12762692933127.png

Today alpha 6 has been released

anyway, i found it a bit slower than yesterday's build...

really? Surprised I haven't read that anywhere.

ABP not compatible with alpha 6 pre :(

And that's terrible... I was neither able to bump the installer, because when i tried to install the bumped version from locale minefield gave me download error....

EDIT: it got updated on mozilla addons and now it's compatible! :)

One Little thing I'm not a fan of with firefox 3.7/4 is clicking the icon in the super bar doesn't bring up the window... instead it shows your tabs... I would prefer it to be the opposite, click on the icon to open your current selected tab and hover over the icon to bring up the thumbnails.

It feels slower and unnatural the way Mozilla have implemented it.

yes!

*sniped*

wrong!

it is alpha 5 which launched officially

the one above is pre build not quite the same

I hate the addons manager in a tab :( Hopefully they don't do the same with the Downloads window.

Yeah, I was against this initially myself. But the more I think about it the more I come to like it. I'll give it a chance...

looks nice, but i dont really like tabs on top :shifty:

I don't either, but you can use Tab Mix Plus (not sure if it supports FF 4.0 yet) to place them at the bottom.

One Little thing I'm not a fan of with firefox 3.7/4 is clicking the icon in the super bar doesn't bring up the window... instead it shows your tabs... I would prefer it to be the opposite, click on the icon to open your current selected tab and hover over the icon to bring up the thumbnails.

It feels slower and unnatural the way Mozilla have implemented it.

Yeah, it's a pretty annoying feature, but people want it.

In about:config there should be a preference called "browser.taskbar.previews.enable" (or so), set that to false to go back to the old behaviour.

I like the tabs on top feature... just not how they look right now. I can't wait for them to get that properly designed. So far, the nightlies are performing fast, just not as fast as Chrome still.

Wow, these new Firefox nightlies are pretty fast. Nightly tester tools doesn't seem to work for the a6 pre :(

Nightly Tester Tools isn't being updated any more.

Nightly Tester Tools isn't being updated any more.

I was not aware, now I am. Are there alternative ways to force install addons?

The "Addon Compatibility Reporter" disables the check, and lets you mark how compatible they are as a benefit (although it doesn't currently do anything with the new addons manager)

NOTE: This has just landed , so you have to wait for today's nightly to use it , or else download this hourly build

New UI Landed

Looks better than previous at least , but still needs some more fixes...

BTW now this is slightly resembling with the mockups

10friit.png

I like the bottom one, its still a bit rough around the edges but i like the direction.

Just a shame they cant push the tabs up into the title bar so much wasted space there.

I like the bottom one, its still a bit rough around the edges but i like the direction.

Just a shame they cant push the tabs up into the title bar so much wasted space there.

They can do that, they're just choosing not to atm.

Actually, its called Title bar drawing , and they have ideas to place the Firefox menu button there ,also the edit bar ,, but not the tabs .

Lemme show you a pic..

edit-tray.png

NOTE : This is still not final , just mockups , and edit bar will appear only when needed

Guys, please tell me why the hell I want so much glass at the top of the browser? I tried it and the inactive tabs are unreadable and basically looks like crap at the top.. Depending entirely of course what Wallpaper you have on Windows, well I use the default one.. and it makes the top of the browser look totally unfriendly and harder to use :/

Example

post-2-12763360317505.png

When the design is closer to being finished all those small bugs should be worked out (like unreadable text)

Another feature which landed today (I think the bug was closed as "RESOLVED AWESOME") is HarfBuzz shaping support. It's not finished yet (HarfBuzz that is), but it'll allow websites to toggle OpenType features on and off via CSS. And it should help unify font rendering support across platforms (CoreText doesn't support the same OpenType feature set as Uniscribe, same with DirectWrite and such)

Guys, please tell me why the hell I want so much glass at the top of the browser? I tried it and the inactive tabs are unreadable and basically looks like crap at the top.. Depending entirely of course what Wallpaper you have on Windows, well I use the default one.. and it makes the top of the browser look totally unfriendly and harder to use :/

Example

post-2-12763360317505.png

Well then why do you have a menubar + a bookmarks bar with nothing on it...

You're creating the ugly ass UI with all your settings.