Project: Macbook Tablet

I am trying to find one with the exact dimensions as a capacitive screen I have found one for $150. It is exactly 13.3". But going to wait on getting this till I can get a full working tab with a resistive screen.

I was initially thinking of having 2 screens in the final pad. One on top and one at the bottom but I ran into trouble with either the power source being to bulky or having a separate power source.

I also don't have any engineering exp so I am just sort of taking this on the fly and hoping to come up with something... So far so good...

I think I am going to go with plexiglass for the casing.

@edocronian

connector.bmp

DSC02513.jpg

this is a picture of my macbook's logic board

red wire is the power on that you have to short to the ground (violet wire)

to the right of the red wire is Data +

to the left of the violet wire is Data -

directly above the red wire is positive

I was led to the mactablet project by cyrozap while looking for the USB test points for my macbook's topcase

(ruined my ribbon, so I made it into a USB KB and trackpad using enigma-penguin's picture guide

there are more USB ports that you can tap using enigma-penguin's guide, the IR BT, and iSight are USB devices

@enigma-penguin... what is your next project?

Awesome stuff 6502, I might have to get the multimeter and test my one too, just to see if it's the same (and I'd say it probably is) :D . I'll be sure to add it to the posts and give you the credit for the information, again nicely done.

As for the next project, I'll be starting that after my exams in a few weeks. I think I will attempt to give new life to my old G4 server, not sure what kind of innards I'm going to give it yet or what I'll do with the g4 parts. I have a few options, but I think I'm going to go for practical this time; the g4 has been having issues for a long time and it was the original intention of this project.

@enigma-penguin

thanks the credit for the Topcase pinout (this is not the logic board pin out) goes to CYROZAP afaik

I learned these things from your research:

the sleep or close lid sensor (been looking for this for some time)

and the test points for USB at the topcase

although I dont get how you were able to convert the headphone in for the sleep sensor. I know it senses magnet... i placed a magnet on that spot with the lid open and the sleep light went on

I am looking for a sata port within the logic board, like yours my optical is dead (IDE) so i took it out, a source for power enough to power a HD would also be nice

I know there is a cord of some type available ( remember an article in iFixit ) so you can put an IDE harddrive into the optical drive bay.

@6502:

The Magnetic Sleep Switch Jack is pretty simple really, it acts like a rotating switch. You take an old headphone jack (preferably one with a long plastic head) and you heat weld the side of it until it's sticky (but don't over-do it) you then stick the magnet to the side of it and fold over the hot plastic with a clay moulding tool or a plastic knife.

magnetjack.jpg

When I plug in the jack and roll the "switch" towards the sleep sensor magnet, it turns off the macbook. It's not an elegant solution but it was my quick and dirty solution to not having enough time to sort out the power connection on the mainboard back in march.

check out the current episode of Sanctuary (season 3 episode 2) 9 Mins 37 seconds

Dr Magnus is holding what looks like a 17 inch Macbook. start from where she is handling the macbook showing the bottom part... the ports on the side sure looks like a macbook

do a frame by frame until she turns and reveals the other side of that macbook..... tah Dah!

Enigma-Penguin's MacTablet 17 inch version!

tried to edit the above post but seems that I cant

check out the current episode of Sanctuary (season 3 episode 2) entitled "Firewall" from 4 minutes into the episode to around 10 minutes

Dr Magnus is holding what closely looks like a 15 inch Macbook. start from where she is handling the macbook showing the bottom part... the ports on the side sure looks like a macbook ( I stress "looks like")

..... tah Dah!

Enigma-Penguin's MacTablet 15 inch version!

@enigna-penguin

thanks. I get it now. so the magnet can be on the side and need not be directly on top of the sensor

It's one of the reasons I used Sanctuary in the Maclet screen test video :p as far as I'm aware they use Axiotron Modbooks in the production of the TV show (they even use the stylus from time to time). Also: yes that is the case, the magnet can be on the outside (and to the side) of the macbook and still activate the sensor.

@edocronian

connector.bmp

DSC02513.jpg

this is a picture of my macbook's logic board

directly above the red wire is positive

I was led to the mactablet project by cyrozap while looking for the USB test points for my macbook's topcase

(ruined my ribbon, so I made it into a USB KB and trackpad using enigma-penguin's picture guide

there are more USB ports that you can tap using enigma-penguin's guide, the IR BT, and iSight are USB devices

What do you mean by

I'm quite impressed, you made this whole operation seems so simple! I've been wanting to do this for years but didn't think it was possible/feasible.

After reading your posts I've decided to buy a used macbook and convert it to tablet format, with the end goal of being cheaper (and better) than the IPad. I'm so very disappointed in Apple with that one. I really want to be able to have all my school notes in a digital format.

A couple questions about the touch screen, will it register your palm if you rest your hand on the screen while writing? Also have tried taking notes with it and were there any problems?

Great Work!

Fratink

P.s.

Racing.buy is again selling 13" touch screens on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280571716422&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_2660wt_1141

ok so I think I have figured out how to attach the power button, I just solder the ground and power wires on right? I didn't really get the shorting part so I am just ignoring it please let me know.

Also can someone please explain how to get the internal USB working. That is where do I attach the usb connector and how? usb006.jpg

does anyone know where i can find an internal diagram of all the pins for a macbook air?

It will probably be the same, but best to check it with a multimeter.

I'm quite impressed, you made this whole operation seems so simple! I've been wanting to do this for years but didn't think it was possible/feasible.

After reading your posts I've decided to buy a used macbook and convert it to tablet format, with the end goal of being cheaper (and better) than the IPad. I'm so very disappointed in Apple with that one. I really want to be able to have all my school notes in a digital format.

A couple questions about the touch screen, will it register your palm if you rest your hand on the screen while writing? Also have tried taking notes with it and were there any problems?

Great Work!

Fratink

P.s.

Racing.buy is again selling 13" touch screens on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280571716422&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_2660wt_1141

Nice to see racebuy is selling again, as for the screen it tends to stick with the first input until release. Writing notes was fine, but initially I had issues with shielding and it made the screen amazingly inaccurate. If your going to use it for drawing/writing 4/5 wire and shield the screen from emr.

Very nice, just an amateur photographer's observation: You might want to check the white balance on those photos :)

Ah it's not so bad, I took them with an iPhone at night :p Cheers though, hehe.

ok so I think I have figured out how to attach the power button, I just solder the ground and power wires on right? I didn't really get the shorting part so I am just ignoring it please let me know.

Also can someone please explain how to get the internal USB working. That is where do I attach the usb connector and how? usb006.jpg

I think I answered this one in PM, but you have to either use the cable and split it out of solder to each of the points yourself (match the wire to the corresponding pin).

@xthakila

my macbook no longer has it's topcase (KB and trackpad. I damaged the ribbon strip that connects the topcase to the logicboard/motherboard)

without the topcase, I can no longer turn the macbook on since the power on button is on the topcase

Using cyrozap's pinout of the topcase, I found the "ON" switch on the logic board

I soldered two wires to these points, one red and the other one violet

the RED wire is the power on point

you have to MOMENTARILY connect this to the GROUND which is the VIOLET wire (use a resistor as recommended by Enigma-Penguin)

connecting the two points briefly will turn the macbook on without the need for the topcase on button

I soldered the two wires to the points on where the Topcase is connected to the logic board

These two points are helpful if you want to diagnose if your RIBBON WIRE or your POWER ON button is faulty

Among these pins are USB points. The trackpad and Keyboard of the Topcase are connected to the logic board as a USB device

I am planning to connect 4 more wires to these pins

Look at my picture and these are the points:

directly above the red (across the female connector) wire is 5 volts positive

there are 10 contact points on the female topcase socket

let us refer to these ten as points 1 to 10

looking on top of the female socket

1 2 3 4 5

-----------

| |

-----------

6 7 8 9 10

6 is my RED wire or the power on switch with you need to briefly short with the GROUND number 9

7 is DATA+ of USB

8 is DATA- of USB

1 is 5 volts POSITIVE

I have NOT attached the USB points so I have not tried this for myself

a volt meter probe on Positive number 1 and Negative number 9 should give you 5 Volts

HTH ( Hope this Helps)

Enigma-Penguin has the USB test points on the Topcase circuit board

I only have a Macbook, No macbook air and this is the first time that I am messing around with a portable

Thanks to Cyrozap for the topcase pin-outs and Enigma-Penguin for the Topcase USB test points

without these two people, my old macbook would have been rendered useless

My old macbook will now see it's second useful life as my server as I attempt to study OSX Snow Leopard server 10.6.3

I am looking for a forum that deals with the logic board of the Macbook 1.1

I already have found the iFixit.com guide usefull in taking the macbook1.1 apart

@6502

Can i solder the USB and the power button to the same points.

Also can you possibly link me to a resistor that I can use.

SO let me see if I understand this.

1. For the power button I solder red power to point 6 and ground to point 9.

2. Then for the USB I can also at the same time use point 6 for power with redwire, 7 white D-, 8 Green D+, and 9 Black Ground.

Could you possibly link me to the resistor, the white and green wires I can't seem to find them on ebay.

Cheers any help will be appreciated greatly.

@xthakila

Can i solder the USB and the power button to the same points.

YES but the common point for the USB and the power on switch is the GROUND which is number 9

Also can you possibly link me to a resistor that I can use.

You may want to ask Enigma-Penguin or read thru his post

I cant remember what he used... I did not use a resistor, but I feel that I should, the highest resistance that would still work should be fine

SO let me see if I understand this.

1. For the power button I solder red power to point 6 and ground to point 9.

YES but remember that the switch is UNLIKE a house light switch that has to JOINED together (complete circuit) for as long as the macbook will stay on

You need to make the two wires touch for less than a second, then the macbook powers up... then let go

Think Doorbell and not house light switch

2. Then for the USB I can also at the same time use point 6 for power with redwire,

NO, 6 is not used for USB

6 is for power on switch only

Use number 1 for the USB's positive 5 VOLTS

7 white D-, 8 Green D+, and 9 Black Ground.

I'm not sure if the colors are standard. I used a broken mouse USB cord and it has different colors

You can use color that you can easily get hold of

Could you possibly link me to the resistor

See above

, the white and green wires I can't seem to find them on ebay.

You can use any color. I used what was readily available

You can use any broken USB device for DONOR wires

Hope this helps and Good Luck

I hope your soldering skills are better than mine as the solder points are very small

Cheers any help will be appreciated greatly.

in response to your PM

So I don't need a resistor for the power button?

it would be better if you install a resistor as enigma-penguin says. I'm sure the original power on on the topcase has some degree of electrical resistance

It works without resistor but safer if you install one

Also will the resistor in any way interfere with the usb as the usb wires will touch the resistor ends as well.

there will be no resistor in the USB portion

Put the resistor in the number six point which is not a part of the USB points

the resistor need not be in the logic board or number 6 point but maybe placed at the end of the wire (in my case the red wire)

Sorry but I am not as handy as enigna-penguin when it comes to digital drawings

an analogy for resistor would be punching someone with boxing gloves. without resistor it would be like punching someone without boxing gloves

try wikipedia for resistors

I dont know if you understand this but please bear in mind that to turn the macbook on you only need to touch 6 and 9 until the unit turns on (less than a second) then let go. similar to door buzzer

DSC02614.jpg

the USB drawing is when you are looking at the connector, with the metal contacts facing downward. this is for both female and male ports

hope this helps

@enigma-penguin

what value resistor would you recommend to use for the power on function?

My topcase was converted to USB and at times, the KB and Trackpad would stop working. I have to unplug and re-plug the USB for them to work again. there seems to be no constant time when this happens. periods seem to vary but always this would happen during inactivity. it wouldn't happen when i'm using the KB/TP

thanks