Basic video streaming options from a laptop?

+Mystic    11

I have been completely out of the video streaming areana for a while now and if I did any, it has been through XBMC. A friend just called me an asked what the simplest way to hook up his laptop to his TV to watch videos like Youtube, Hulu, etc.

He didn't know whether or not his TV had HDMI, but even then I don't think that would work right? He would have video but no audio.

So basically, is there any simple way he can do this or no matter what is it going to get complicated? I know there a million ways out there (streaming content wise) but everything I know of is a bit too technical for me to explain over the phone.

sn00pie    2

VGA cable for video is probably the only thing he can do. Or if he has a PS3 or X360 then its as simple as downloading a streaming program; TVersity, etc.

Lewism    44

Check his TV if it had a HDMI, DVI or VGA input (He should if he has an HDTV). If not, you can always go with S-Video which is limited to 480i.

As for audio, if he only need stereo, a simple RCA cable would do the trick. Plug the 3.5 mm end in the headphone port on the laptop and the 2 RCA end in the TV on the same input as the video cable.

+Mystic    11

VGA cable for video is probably the only thing he can do. Or if he has a PS3 or X360 then its as simple as downloading a streaming program; TVersity, etc.

Unfortunately he only has a Wii and its streaming options are limited.

Check his TV if it had a HDMI, DVI or VGA input (He should if he has an HDTV). If not, you can always go with S-Video which is limited to 480i.

As for audio, if he only need stereo, a simple RCA cable would do the trick. Plug the 3.5 mm end in the headphone port on the laptop and the 2 RCA end in the TV on the same input as the video cable.

That would be perfect, I can't believe I didn't think about that. I'll check with him and see what options he has on his laptop.